“To the nay-sayer's...”

Ranked #10 of 127 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Moe's Original BBQ is a Southern soul food revival with food prepared fresh daily with recipes passed down for generations.
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I love Moe's!

So much so that I eat here 2-3 times per week. It seems to me that many people who have a problem with this place get hung up on this whole idea that all BBQ is the same and that all places should have all the same things on the menu all the time. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Moe's has all the basics of great BBQ from the deep south. This means they specialize in Pork and chicken- which obviously they do very well. In fact, the pork ribs, chicken wings, and half-chicken are some of the best I've ever had anywhere and i'm from the south (Memphis to be exact)! In order to appease the folks that are picky about more regional specialties the folks at Moe's offer daily "specials" that are ridiculously good. The beef brisket, hot link sandwich, fried chicken, shrimp mo-boy, cuban sandwich, dynamo (jalapeño and jack cheese stuffed chicken breast wrapped in bacon) and the "smokey" thanksgiving day sandwich are all definite stand-outs!

Next are the sides.. Again, there are the basics: Baked beans, cole slaw, potato salad, banana puddin, and mac & cheese- which are all great! Just as good as my Grandma Dot makes. But, the key here again are the specials! Jambalaya, mud pie, red beans & rice, fried green tomatoes, white bean chili, and greans & peas do the trick for me!

Some people seem to question the authenticity of Moe's and I'm here to say that it doesn't get as "down home" at this. These guy's are from Alabama and they stay true to their roots. The banana puddin and sweet tea taste exactly like my grandmothers. Im sorry, that those people from Texas & Kansas think there isn't enough beef on the menu or that the sauce isn't sweet enough and that the folks from South Carolina think that the sauce is too sweet and thick for them- that's because it's BAMA BBQ. It's probably a little different than what you're accustomed to.. Try anything on the menu "Bama Style" and you probably won't regret it- the White Sauce is to die for.

Dining/ Service: Moe's does the best job they can providing southern hospitality in a fast paced/ quick service type operation. When you walk in the front door there is a giant menu displaying the regular menu items and a smaller menu displaying the daily specials above the cash register where you order. They yell out your name at the other end of the bar when your food is ready. Sometimes waits can be long, but this is one of the best restaurants in town that also happens to have inexpensive food! Be patient and you will get rewarded- they really do try their best and it's a fun place to be.

Entertainment can happen at the drop of a hat here with the colorful characters this place seems to draw, but during the ski season they have and energetic Apres Ski scene that is always fun- especially on Tuesdays. Football season is always a "must" here and the end-of-the-season Crawfish Boil is always a great time! Like it says on the sign- All Things Southern: BBQ, Whisky, & Football. Could it get any better?

Sure they might run out of some stuff sometimes (they only make so-much per day to keep things fresh), and yeah you could get a little "back talk", but this is a popular place that offers some of the best BBQ I've had anywhere at great prices with friendly service. Could you ask for anything more? I think not. Let the good times roll! And I could think of no better place than the original location of Moe's Original BBQ. (Check your local listings for a location near you) ;)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Excellent ribs and pulled pork, recommend sides of Cole slaw, Mac n cheese and corn bread. Try the sweet tea for your soft drink beverage choice. Great service and great prices for Vail!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I with our two sons went to Moe's July 3rd. It was about lunch time and there was a pretty decent crowd. Made me anticipate that I would have some really good BBQ. They were out of ribs already, I know it happens but at lunch the weekend of July 4th... were they not anticipating being a little bit busy?? So I ordered the turkey, one son got the smoked wings, my wife ordered the pulled pork and our other son ordered the chicken strips. Of the main items only our oldest sons' wings were what any of us called really good. The others were below what we considered good smoked meats or chicken. My wife did think her cole slaw was very good. What made the experience really a bad one for us, other than the less than average food, was the service. The girl at the ordering station was great, management should have someone else there assisting though, but when we got our food some items were missing from our orders. When I went to the pick-up area to get what was missing the guys that were doing the prep/cooking looked at me as if I was asking them to reverse the rotation of the earth. I later went to get a refill on a drink and the lemonade was empty. I went back to the pick-up area to inform them and once again was given a look of sheer contempt. This was great considering I was not even drinking lemonade but noticed a lady in front of me being upset that it was empty when she was trying to get a refill. I guess I should have just ignored it and let someone else tell them.

I would never recommend this place to eat in Vail!! Very poor service and very plain food.

Note to the boys in the prep area:

"Darn, sorry I am paying your wages by eating at your place of employment and expecting my orders to be correct!"

1  Thank TrvlnFam
Reviewed August 3, 2014

They really know how to do Southern BBQ. Their ribs fall off the bone, slaw super churchy, and the Mac and cheese to top it off. In a town where everything is super pricy it's a great place to feed your whole family. I always get it to go because it can be more of a rowdy seen. But hands down they do it right! Oh don't forget the sweet tea or banana pudden(:

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Took family of 6 for casual dinner ( order at counter and then pick up food). We had some of everything... Ribs, pulled pork, smoked turkey. With platter you pick two sides and get a large piece of warm cornbread. Everyone was very happy with food.

Been to Moe's Original BBQ? Share your experiences!