“Beautiful room, but service not so great!”

Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Vail
denver
“Beautiful room, but service not so great!”
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Ok I am even staying here by myself for a weekend away- not expecting much... at all.
I still have two nights to go, but already I am irritated by the service, and I am a VERY easy going traveller. First there is a difference between good service, and people just "knowing" your name and being cordial. I am never a "picky" traveller, but the luggage was left in the lobby for way too long, and I had dinner last night (a $20 French dip sandwich) delivered to my room that was already soggy....because the dip spilled... uh plastic wrap? Believe me I used to complain about people like my reviews- but now I get it... esp because this room is supposed to cost about $600/night (not including $45 resort fee, and 10% tax and 20% service...which is really only parking, paper, and free internet)- Major joke. You know if the service was good it might be worth it ... like it is at the Sonnenalp.

I am here for two more days- and if no one else came near me service wise I would be just fine... but I could not imaginge bringing a family here and needing something other than a "Hello" and "Have a nice Day". Oh btw if you are travelling with a family, a two BR suit could cost you + thousands/ night (almost 4).

I was very excited to see the Arrabelle, but it is a very Disney type of "resort" if that it is what you are looking for then it is just fine. And my being here for two more days might just irritate me further... really folks go to the Sonnenalp!!! Amazing service, more rustic rooms, and about 1/2 the price. The Sonnenalp has been a Vail standard for years- and though I thought I would give Arrabelle a chance... because I "thought" before that the Sonnenalp was too pricey... but it is no contest. The difference? When I return to the Sonnenalp the staff has been the same, it really is like coming home if you are going to afford yourself the price of such a Luxury hotel...you could book a night on a whim at the Sonnenalp for almost a third of the price...AND it is right in the middle of Vail.
You choose... Hmm?

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank karatravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New Brunswick
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I got married at the Arrabell last month. The staff at the Arabelle were amazing and attentive. I can't imagine a more beautiful hotel with a wonderful setting. I couldn't possibly say anything negative about the hotel or the hotel staff. They made our wedding a truly wonderful event!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ithica, NY
Reviewed September 4, 2009

What a gem of a place! My wife and I were looking for a weekend get-away while we were visiting CO for business. We decided on Vail and found The Arrabelle. It is charming, the staff is so friendly, and they make you feel at home. The rooms are amazing, it is true luxury. We thought about staying at the Ritz, but we are so glad we gave The Arrabelle a try. Everything is so clean and well maintained; there were activities in the square when we were there which a nice surprise was. I treated my wife to some spa appointments and she raved about how great it was. The price value was perfect. There was a little construction next to the hotel, but not at the hotel. Really did not bother us and looks like they are almost done anyways. If this is how nice it is in the summer time, can only imagine how great it is in the winter! We will be back!

San Francisco
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We were looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway & wanted to book the nicest resort. When we arrived they had "upgraded" us to a nicer room. The room (as most of their rooms) had a view of the surrounding buildings. There was a huge construction project right outside the window that started at 7:22am. We were never notified that there was a construction project. The spa was basic & completely indoors. The rooftop pool was small & not a place you'd want to spend time. They charge a $35.00 daily resort fee which is supposed to cover tips but I didn't feel comfortable asking people to carry my bags, park my car, without tipping so we paid twice. I'm not sure what it covered but in most hotels the use of their facilities is free. Parking in the Vail public lots is free in the summer. Once the construction started I asked to checkout & was promised a refund for the last two nights. I spent a few hours on the phone with Expedia & working with the front desk. (They were very friendly, helpful & professional). However, It's not how I wanted to spend my three day weekend (which was quite expensive). I never received the credit & will now have to spend another few hours on the phone with Expedia who say they have no records of my phone calls though at the time they told me they would give me a $50 voucher for my next trip. I'm just hoping I don't have to spend a lot of time getting my refund or end up contesting it with my credit card company.

3 Thank FoodWineFunSF
INdianapolis
Reviewed August 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Arrabelle to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and had never been to Vail. We loved Vail and enjoyed the Arrabelle. However the hotel is not up to the standards of the finest hotels, at least in the summer. The hotel staff seemed to be very pleasant and tried to be helpful but some things were overlooked. For example we did not receive turndown service the last night of our three night stay. On another day we ordered room service for the following morning because we were leaving early for a day trip to Aspen. The next morning there was no record of our order and we left without breakfast.

Charleston
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We found this new hotel in the old part of Lionshead and thought we would give it a try. It was amazing! What a suprise. We were skeptic for a new hotel. The staff could not have been more friendlier..and they were genuine! Also, the property is beautiful..and you cannot be the location!!! The gondala is right there! We grabbed our bikes and headed up the mountain and biked all day. The restaurant was good, again, friendly staff. They seem to really care. The spa was AMAZING! Very talented staff...ultra luxury! We could not believe the deal we got. We actually called to hotel directly to get the best deal...and am sure we did after looking for awhlie to see what was out there. And the village...there were so many activities going on in the village square right at the hotel... we did not even know..it could not have been timed better! We will be going back again real soon!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We stayed in late March 2009 in a penthouse 4 bedroom which we rented directly from the owner, rather than going through the hotel. We paid $2000 / night, so we got a deal relative to "full retail". It's a beautiful hotel and right at the gondola, so the location can't be beat. We had none of the problems with housekeeping that some other posters have reported, so perhaps we were lucky. The rooms were large and well appointed, although that may have more to do with the owner of the unit, rather than the hotel.

Overall we had a great stay, and would go to the Arrabelle again, but I would suggest folks look at vrbo.com or Prudential Realty and try to rent directly from owners. You may have a better chance to negotiate a price than going directly through the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family