“Good food... reasonably authentic...”

Alpenrose Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 123 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: German, European, Central European, Austrian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Texas
“Good food... reasonably authentic...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

....But lacking in flavor! Having grown up in Germany, I know what it's suppose to taste like. I had high hopes judging from the menu... Unfortunately, it seem's that this place is hit or miss depending on who's in the kitchen. And speaking of which, you won't find any Germans managing or running the kitchen... which may be a big part of the problem. The original Austrian owner left several years ago!! Go to have a beer and a brat on the nice patio... Skip anything more substantial...

Nashville, Tennessee
“Love this Restaurant!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We always go to Alpenrose and I have to order the goulash over spaetzle every time! The desserts are wonderful as well. The patio is perfect to sit on in the summer. It seems like we end up going on our 1st night after we have traveled all day because it is so relaxing and easy, just like your favorite local restaurant. Service is excellent and very friendly.

2 Thank Titan27
Taos County, New Mexico
“Sehr gemütlichkeit”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Was so glad to read the menu and see all my favorites. Ordered the open faced Reuben with sides of potato salad and red cabbage. Split with companion and had a $3 plate charge. No surprise just seeking smaller portions. We're very surprised to discover that they had put full sized portions of sides on each plate. The rot kohl and kartoffelsalat were so authentic I wanted to cry with nostalgia for all the years I lived in Germany. The funny idiosyncrasy was finding the restrooms labeled WC but the doors were Neither universal pictorial symbols for gender NOR Damen und Herren but just Men and women. Not easy to navigate stairs to level of facilities and stalls were extremely narrow and locks inoperable. After such good service, food and hospitality, that was disappointing. A few minutes with a screwdriver and a touch up would have made this jewel meet high end Vail expectations, there is at least a ramp to the entrance of the restaurant but don't expect handicap accessibility inside. Patio is accessible

1 Thank Delftglass
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A favorite for German food but unexpected disappointment this trip”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We arrived for an early dinner and the chef opened the kitchen a few minutes early for us, which was very much appreciated. Cool weather and rain prevented us from enjoying the great patio so we had a great corner table upstairs in the dining room-pretty much to ourselves at that hour. I had wine from their extensive wine list and my husband had a nice Weissbier. We both had the goulach, which was hearty and had just the right spiciness. I ordered the Alpenrose salad with chicken on it. And that was the BIG disappointment. The chicken was overdone and dry, the grapes tomatoes were old,as was the lettuce. I removed about a third of it because some of it had also started to spoil, too. When I mentioned this to our server he offered to have it remade, but this time I declined because we had a show to go to after the meal. He said he would tell the chef. Most German restaurants I've been to are sticklers for quality so the fact that they served old salad is a big surprise to me. A black mark on an otherwise delightful experience. We shared Apfel Strudel for dessert and coffee that was fantastic. I hope the next time we eat there they won't have this food quality issue again. Service is always great as many others have said.

Iowa City, Iowa, United States
“Excellent service”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped at Alpenrose for a drink and appetizer and had a wonderful server named Steven! He helped us figure out exactly what we wanted and was very charming and helpful. We were celebrating a birthday and he helped make it special. We'll be back to this restaurant soon for dinner!

Visited August 2013