“A favorite for German food but unexpected disappointment this trip”

Alpenrose Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We arrived for an early dinner and the chef opened the kitchen a few minutes early for us, which was very much appreciated. Cool weather and rain prevented us from enjoying the great patio so we had a great corner table upstairs in the dining room-pretty much to ourselves at that hour. I had wine from their extensive wine list and my husband had a nice Weissbier. We both had the goulach, which was hearty and had just the right spiciness. I ordered the Alpenrose salad with chicken on it. And that was the BIG disappointment. The chicken was overdone and dry, the grapes tomatoes were old,as was the lettuce. I removed about a third of it because some of it had also started to spoil, too. When I mentioned this to our server he offered to have it remade, but this time I declined because we had a show to go to after the meal. He said he would tell the chef. Most German restaurants I've been to are sticklers for quality so the fact that they served old salad is a big surprise to me. A black mark on an otherwise delightful experience. We shared Apfel Strudel for dessert and coffee that was fantastic. I hope the next time we eat there they won't have this food quality issue again. Service is always great as many others have said.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped at Alpenrose for a drink and appetizer and had a wonderful server named Steven! He helped us figure out exactly what we wanted and was very charming and helpful. We were celebrating a birthday and he helped make it special. We'll be back to this restaurant soon for dinner!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you like authentic German food, you will like this restaurant. It is a quaint little spot with outdoor seating. We were going to just stop for a glass of wine and ended up ordering the cheese tray and the speatzle. Both were outstanding. There is not a lot of seating so get there early or make a reservation.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had a delicious German dinner here, served up by a charming local gent. Ambiance was great, and the quality of the food was excellent. My choice, yaegershnitzel, was large enough to share.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm not a lover of German/Bavarian cuisine. However, AlpenRose is one of my favorites in Vail. I've been visiting Vail since the late 60s and have seen the Vail/LionsHead areas change and evolve. I always like to sample the food at AlpenRose, The onion soup is always delicious and I am especially fond of their variety of salads. If you are so inclined, a cappuccino and one of the delightful pastries is worth it. AlpenRose has been in the Vail Village for many years and continues to please. It's small, so time your visit so that you don't have a wait. It's a great place to linger and people watch. It's also right on the free Vail bus route. My visit this time was no exception. I had the onion soup and the salad that included greens, peaches, tomatoes and gorgonzola cheese crumbles with the house creamy dill dressing. Service is generally very good. My Server, Pamela's attention was a bit spotty and she seemed a little distracted at times. The overall experience is quite good and the comments from the people around me regarding their selection of the German offerings leads me to believe that the quality of that part of the menu remains the same. I have heard that the Pastry Chef who had been there for a long time in the past has moved on. The offering in the pastry display, however, did look very tempting.

1  Thank Nancy H