“Nice convenient hotel”

The Sebastian - Vail
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This property is nice. It is not an enormous property but large enough to have all of the amenities you would find in a luxury property. The location is about a 5 minute walk to the base camp at Vail Skii resort. I liked the ski rental shop at the hotel ...it offers you the benefit of taking care of the fittings and payment at the resort and having your skiis ready for you at the base camp when you arrive for your day of skiing. Hassel free (except for the base camp gets a bit slammed 1st thing in the Morning and at the end of the day). The Hotel has been renovated leaving a bit to be desired on room layout. I think the rooms could be a bit larger and appointed with a sitting area. Beds were nice, bathroom well done. Need a counter in the room for coffee machine etc. The pool area is nice... 3 Jacuzzi's and a heated pool. The market place restaurant is an all you can eat buffet style. I wish it was a quick/serve true marketplace as the buffets were pricey with very few customers. The hotel is right on the free shuttle line making it a snap to jump on and be anywhere in Vail within a matter of minutes. Service was ok..not great. Many employees seemed to be new -hires for the ski season. Our maid service was great loved the extra cookies at turn-down!. The lobby is comfortable with a lovely study for watching TV, reading or just lounging. Bar was ok just not very happening while we were there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing out...our room faced the courtyard and there is no view (unless you like lo...
2  Thank tommybiz
There are newer reviews for The Sebastian - Vail

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place is really amazing. Defenitely the best place to stay in Vail. Great location, hot tub after skiing, pefect fine dining in Block 16....No complains...It is pricey, but you get what you are paying for.....

1  Thank mpoj
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We had a weekend in Vail in February 2012 and on a recomendation stayed at the Sebastian. Well! Letter from Michelle and the girls about what a wonderful time they had. Wish we had have been the first lady (or even the first man) as we might have got better service.

Friendly people but didnt really think that they had to know the answers to your questions or be helpful "just go up into the village and it will all be there" was the answer to our questions about ski and gear hire!

Now the one thing that you want after a day on the slopes is a decent shower (or bath but more about that later). Decent sized room with two queen sized beds (what is with that??). On the first evening I came to have a lovely hot shower - you would think at $400/night that would be the least that you would get - and after waiting for about two or three minutes for the water to get warm I stood until I started shivering through a combination of both lack of water stream and lack of heat. On asking the staff to have a look at this I was told "oh dear I will get someone to look at it". Apparantly they did but there was not a notable difference.

No discount, nothing to be done apparantly!

Room Tip: Another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank charleswmorgan
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Just spent 4 days enjoying myself as an individual , with exceptional service , comfort and professional friendly service. Special thanks to Eric and Audrey and all staff ,for making my stay so enjoyable, & that I will be coming back for this Christmas from Australia.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2012

After leaving the family trip in Beaver Creek, I decided to stay an extra few days in Vail to get some good spring skiing time in. The Sebastian had great rates so I took a chance although the property is new..and I was so happy, I ended up staying for a week. I've never experienced a level of service quite this over the top.

Rooms: large, and stocked with amenities! I had a standard room, complete with fridge, espresso machine, regular coffee machine, huge bottles of high end product, flat screen TV, DVD player with free rental downstairs, free WIFI, and really comfortable beds. Every day bottles of water and freshly baked cookies appear by your bedside, and super soft towels and robes around around for ultimate comfort.

Base Camp: Your skis, boots, etc are biked over and stored in a charming coffee/pastry/internet shop just steps from the main lift. A short walk through town in your regular kicks and a mention of your last name..and the full staff supplies you with all of your gear. I mean, exceptional service all the way around. Tip them - they deserve it, and the pastries are amazing to boot. Joe and all the kids down there took care of me. One even offered me free breakfast because of a mistake I MADE in transferring the gear! They had it in my hands from the hotel in under 6 minutes.

Frost Bar: I really really loved this place, if you know what I mean. :) I collect bartenders (these are my people) during my travels. There is no comparison to MARISHA. She was so generous and made us all feel like we were at home, introducing patrons to each other every night and making sure everyone was having an exceptional time. I miss her already.

Bloom Spa: Kathleen fixed me - after four days of the slopes my legs decided they no longer cared to ski. 90 minutes of deep tissue therapy later and everything was reset and healed - it really was one of the top massages I've ever had in my life. The gym and spa facilities like the steam room and sauna are small but beautifully appointed, with little bonuses everywhere. Ditto on the pool and hot tubs (three tubs, complete with magic drink-bringing waiters ;)

All of the staff really went above and beyond - Gary the Resort Manager (who is very laid back and super proud of the property, as he should be), Eric the manager who arranged for me to stay a few extra days at a great rate, Doug who delivers killer room service, Audrey, Kelly the front desk staff and concierge desks got me absolutely anything I wanted, from a high end bowling lane to impossible dinner reservations at Elway's and Sweet Basil - even the drafting tools I needed to work remotely for a day - isn't that amazing?

The decor of the hotel is swank, slick and just really thoughtful in detail. Suffice to say I was completely blown away. They would do well to work on the Market's breakfast and staff - not sure why I associate skiing with an overwhelmingly great breakfast spread - but again, the hotel is new so it's a minor thing. I didn't get a chance to eat at Bistro16 but the menu was on par with the more famous restaurants in Vail that I love. Room service was great..and also - you're right next to Vail's two main liquor stores and all the upscale shopping you'd want.

All in all - I was just so happy with the experience and I cannot wait to go back in the summer to escape the Dallas heat. Stay here - it's really a gem in the heart of Vail Village. Thanks guys - you made my vacation a wonderful memory.

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong - I was happy with a standard room so anything else must be killer. ;)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank MichelleInTheCity
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I just came from a 5 night stay at The Sebastian in Vail. The location is perfect, very near from The Solaris Complex, in Vail Village, and there is a Bus Stop just outside. You can choose to keep your skis at the hotel or at The Sebastian Basecamp in front of the Vista Bahn Gondola. If you ski from Golden Peak or Lionshead it's better to keep it at the Hotel, and if you return through Vail Village at the end of the day, you can leave it at the Basecamp anyway, and they will send them to the Hotel, it is very convenient. They also have an SUV service on a first come basis to take you to the mountain whenever you're ready. The hotel is beautiful, Lobby, Library, Restaurants, full of interesting art pieces, in our first night we enjoy the opening of a Mexican Art exhibition with the presence of the Mexican Consul in Denver. The accommodations are excellent, they have In-room Nespresso Machines (I'm a Fan), Wi-Fi at no extra charge, water bottles everyday, the Spa services awesome, the pool area with four Hot Tubs is very reconfortant after a Ski day. Breakfast at the Market Restaurant is also excellent. I really recommend The Sebastian to anyone who wants to have a very nice stay in Vail.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LudwigMartin
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My 13-year old son (Cameron) and I stayed at The Sebastian for 6 nights (3/10-16) for a "boys week." Generally, with our family (i.e., 3 kids) we stay at The Westin (Beavercreek)--but wanted to ski Vail's back-country plus engage in other off-piste activities, so Vail was more centrally located. Accordingly, we took a shot at The Sebastian given its high TripAdvisor rankings. Beyond a couple of days of resort skiing, the main purpose of our trip was to go cat skiing off-piste as well as other high adrenaline activities. Due to a lack of snowfall for 3+ weeks in the Vail/Breckenridge & Keystone areas, we had several cat skiing day outings cancelled. Given our quest for "powder" however, I wanted to single out a member of the Concierge staff (Ms. Kelly Benson) who was very accommodating--i.e., she looked for other resort destinations within a 2 hour radius. Kelly was able to find us an outing up at Steamboat Springs, which was a blast. Additionally, she booked us on a private snow-mobile and Polaris Rzr (4X4) adventure (near Wolcott). I can't say enough about how Kelly's proactivity and follow-up assisted with our trip. We engaged her numerous times and her rolodex/contacts were extensive--thanks again Kelly!

Apart from the Concierge desk, the entire staff at The Sebastian was ultra-friendly. This extended from the valet parking employees to the front desk team, to wait staff at The Market, housekeepers (i.e., turn-down service), as well as the folks at Base Camp. The outdoor pool/hot tub was another highlight. Overall, if you are looking for pampering in a boutique environment, then The Sebastian is worth strong consideration. Kudos again to the team & management! -- Jim W.

2  Thank Jim_and_Cam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Manor Vail Lodge
Manor Vail Lodge
#4 of 30 in Vail

Been to The Sebastian - Vail? Share your experiences!