“Beautiful Hotel!!”

Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
“Beautiful Hotel!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My now fiancee took me to the Sebastian over the summer for a nice weekend away from the city. I love love love this hotel!! The service was wonderful and everyone was so friendly!

Now for the room review. Our room was very lovely! It was quite large and spacious. The bathroom was really nice and the towels were almost softer then those we have at home! I was a bit concerned about noise after reading some past reviews of people complaining about the noise. We did not have an issue at all...no noise!! It was a very quite hotel, which is something I appreciate very much!!

My only complaint would be they did not get to our room for cleaning on the day that we hiked up to Hanging Lake for my fiancee to propose! When we got back to the room to shower, it had not been cleaned. Mind you we left the hotel very early and did not return until about 4pm. I was a little annoyed, but called for fresh towels and they had them right up to us. We went out to dinner and by the time we got back they had cleaned our room. So they did make up for it, but I actually couldn't believe that it happened in the first place.

The Sebastian was just a beautiful place to spend our engagment weekend! I would love to go back and would recommend anyone looking in Vail for a hotel, to pick this gem!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Stayed at the Sebastian in late August 2011. The design of the hotel is beautiful, and the room was great. Really liked the bar Frost, and overall the service was great, especially the valet guys at the front...the only part I would not highly recommend would be the spa...it was hit and miss, the spa facilities were great, but the massage I received was not close to being good. Besides that I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Traveled to Vail for the week after Christmas. Wanted to be in Vail Village, so wife could enjoy town while the kids and I were on the slopes. Knew the Sebastian was highly rated, got lucky on a site called vailonsale and was able to book a hotel style room at a good price by Vail's standards. They have great suites and residences here, so our hotel style room was equivalent to steerage on a cruise ship! But what a great "boat"! The staff was very helpful, maybe because so many are young and not crotchety like me. After a few days some of the more clever staffers had our names memorized, which is always a nice touch. The folks at reception, concierge, and valet were especially helpful, always looking for an opportunity to help, and never ignoring a guest that might need assistance. I also like how every staff member, even the housekeepers that might not be english speaking, would never miss an opportunity to wish you a good day or evening. Really homey.

Frost is their pub and it was really nicely decorated in a "frozen" theme. Food was good, a shared menu with The Market, the everyday restaurant at the hotel. The only complaint we had was with the level of staffing at these two joints. The wait staff was as friendly as elsewhere at the hotel, but they seemed a little understaffed, and we waited a little too long to be greeted and served at both locations.

Hot tubs and pool, plus an open flame sitting area, might be one of the nicest features for active guests. Really intimate setting, while also giving great views of nearby sites, mostly the moon! The interior decor in the public area was absolutely awesome. Very inviting library, which wasn't really a quiet area, but instead a general meeting area for folks. I know it was a holiday week, but there was always a lot of activity in the public areas.

We also really appreciated "Base Camp", the Sebastian's facility right at the mountain. They stored our boards and boots all week, allowing us to walk 5 minutes to the slopes stopping for breakfast on the way, or getting fresh beignets at base. And staff at Base Camp were excellent.

Great time for our family.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SunandBoards
Oak Hill Virginia USA
Reviewed December 31, 2011

The Sebastian is an incredible find in Vail. They attend to every need you have, and even anticipate them! Lance, the General Manager, was always around, and making sure your experience was great! Sergio, the Executive Chef runs the restaurants professionally; the Spa was relaxing and had an excellent boutique; the front desk staff run by Eric was very smooth, and the Concierge service attended to all our needs. The Sebastian had a wonderful on-mountain Base camp that held our skis and kept our boots warm. And, a wonderful Beignet Cafe with awesome treats to have before and after skiing! One more thing that sets the Sebastian apart, they include amenities such as water, cokes, expresso, treats, cookies daily at no extra charge in the rooms! Definitely will return to the Sebastian!

Room Tip: Call early and ask if you could be put on an upgrade list and ask for a AAA discount....
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Negotiated what I thought was a fair price in advance for a little bit better than a standard room. Got an additional deal on valet parking. We were JUST at the Sebastian 12/23-28, an obviously busy time of the year. This was the third XMAS in a row we'd spent in Vail. First time we stayed at The Tivoli (my rating 4.5/5), Second time we stayed at The Marriott in Lionshead (4+/5). Both very different facilities to the Sebastian but my ratings reflect my overall experience. To be clear we would happily stay at any of the three hotels again.

The Good:

Driving into the massive car port of this facility felt special. The physical spaces of the facility are beautiful anywhere. Frost, the bar, is a beautiful, well stocked and well run bar with fantastic food and service. Every single employee is friendly and will likely remember your name. Courtesy shuttles to take you to and pick you up from village locations. Satellite mountainside ski shop so that you can leave your ski's and boots at the mountain and walk back in normal shoes. Location mid village steps from Solaris complex, and most of our favorite Vail restaurants.

Opportunities to Excel:

Check in was not until 4pm and our room was not ready till 4:20. Spoke to another family in the identical boat. The Market cafe was disorganized and slow in terms of service. It was clear that they were understaffed and some workers were undertrained. No in room dinning menu in our room. We had to request that one be delivered to us then we called again to order. We were told at check in that our room was delayed because of a problem with the TV in our room. With no exaggeration the delay between pushing a button on the remote and a response from the TV took 5-10 seconds per button pushed if it worked at all. For comparison we are currently at a much lesser hotel in Aspen and randomly have the same TV, remote set up and it works flawlessly as it should. We went to Larkspur for dinner via complimentary shuttle. When we called for pick up as instructed we were told that the driver would be there in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later no one showed. I called again and 10 minutes later the driver showed up with an excuse that he came but couldn't find us even though we were standing in the same spot he dropped us off.

The Bottom Line:

This is a beautiful place and we may well stay there again hoping that tincture of time allow the service deficiencies to improve. When asked at check out how my stay was I said it was a "B" when asked why I detailed the above. The response from the person at the desk was "we were really busy b/c of the holidays" WRONG ASWER. Accountability ALWAYS begins with an apology and ends with a solution and restitution PERIOD. I told the person at the Desk that the Wynn Las Vegas has 2700 rooms and turns over 1/3-2/3 a day. I've stayed there several times and never checked in later than 2pm and never remembered anything but flawless service. From house keeping to restaurant workers to valet services The Sebastian needs more staff and they need to be trained to have the "can do" attitude spoken about in the post stay survey they send out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jbdmd
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I am still remembering the view from my room at this beautiful hotel. The spa treatments were luxurious and refreshing, the food wonderful, and the staff was so friendly and helpful. I can't wait to return to Vail, and will look forward to another great experience here!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Denver
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed here for a 2-night business meeting. The hotel is really gorgeous and well-positioned in town. The amenties are lovely and the service is wonderful.
My room's 'view' however, was a disappointment. I had a room facing an inner 'courtyard', or rather an 'inner open concrete' space, which looked directly at other rooms' windows. Thus, you'll never open your curtains -- so it defeats the purpose of staying in the mountains. I would recommend that you be very specific about which room you will receive.
As for the food: Block 16 is overly pricey with tiny portions (but tasty). The conference catering was also less than robust. Both were fine for my appetite, but almost all of the men in the conference complained of the tiny 'fu-fu' portion sizes.
At the Market, I had an omelet breakfast, and while the portion size was bigger, the meal was REALLY greasy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
alynch84, Director of Sales at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Thank you so much for you kind words about The Sebastian - ail. We are so happy you found the service and the quality of sleeping exceptional. Meeting Planners have a choice of rooms and I am sorry the ones they chose for your were not to your liking. Additionally when we do a catering function the food is chosen by the companies event planner.

We are glad you found the food tasty at Block 16 as we are getting rave reviews on the quality, presentation and service of the restaurant. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to right the situation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Manor Vail Lodge
Manor Vail Lodge
#5 of 30 in Vail

Been to The Sebastian - Vail? Share your experiences!