“Fantastic hotel with excellent service”

The Sebastian - Vail
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed October 27, 2011

If you like beautiful, boutique hotels, you will love The Sebastian. First class from the moment you enter. Great staff, excellent bar (& bartender), comfy beds and a wonderful, relaxing pool area. Plus, the fitness center has everything needed for a good workout. Very close to the mountian, shops and restaurants. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Wow we stayed at The Sebastian for our first time in Vail and it exceeded our expectations! The Amenities are gorgeous. The room very comfortable and nice. The service was outstanding. We booked a queen and they upgraded us to a king no questions asked. We also checked in a few hours early and they got us in promptly. Everyone paid very close attention to our needs and made us feel like royalty! It is also very close to everything. We will definitely come back and will recommend this hotel to everyone we know. The Sebastian is outstanding.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Very nice property where we enjoyed staying. The location in the heart of Vail is ideal.

The staff is very friendly and knew us by our name straight from our arrival. Would go back in a heart beat!!!

Many thanks to the staff and mor particularly Annie at the front desk.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I was only in Vail for one night visiting with a friend who used to live in the area. We chose the Sebastien over the Four Seasons based on the recomendation of a friend who knew the management. We were upgraded to a fantastic 2 bedroom residence which sets the benchmark for accomodation in Vail. (222B) which was appreciate.
However we also saw the standard room and this was definately comfortable.

The thing that really stands out about the place though is the service. Everyone was super friendly and overly accomodating. they really welcomed us and it felt like a second home. I wish we stayed longer, but I know we will be back.
I wanted to particularly highlight Annie at front desk who was always a pleasure.

Room Tip: 222B is an amazing Residence with fab views
1  Thank Ioveit
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Stayed here based on other reviews and the price. Found a great deal on Expedia, and read wonderful reviews so we were really excited for our vacation. I called several weeks prior to check-in to request a room with a view of the village or the mountains, the woman said it shouldn't be a problem. When we arrived to check-in they said they could not give us a room with a view because we booked on Expedia and the rooms with a view are more expensive. I do not think the hotel was full during our stay in the off-season so this was frustrating that they couldn't give us a room with a view. Finally, they said they could give us a room with a view for an extra $25/night, and after a long flight and not wanting to argue, we paid the price.

Once we arrived to the room (assuming it would be a better room), we were VERY disappointed. The view was of a construction site behind the building. Yes, we could see the mountains, but for paying extra we were very very disappointed. At this point, I did not want to complain agian so we stayed put.

There is no air-conditioning in this hotel so if you get hot easily (like my boyfriend), do not stay here. Very warm and the windows only open slightly so hard to get a nice breeze.

Overall, OK hotel. Great location, but I probably wouldn't stay here again. I think for a little extra you could stay somewhere nicer in the area.

Room Tip: View of the pool would be the best here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cgottsc
alynch84, Director of Sales at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

It was disappointing to read your review. When booking on our partner Expedia, many people choose the Sebastian Classic room based on the price point. Which is our lowest category of room. We give all of our customers the ability to upgrade once there are here and I would like to ensure that we address your concerns. The perfect way to guarantee a view is to book one of our suites. Most look at Vail Mountain and they are available in one, two, & three bedroom configurations.

They were doing a roofing project next door and we apologize that you were placed in a room that over looked that - we should have done a better job at your placement. I am sorry that you did not call down to have this rectified because we would have done this immediately.

We are concerned that you had issues with your air-conditioning as ALL OF OUR ROOMS have individual air conditioning. We are one of the few hotels in Vail that offer this. Please call me so we can address your up-charge for a view you did not receive. My number is 970-477-8017 and I look forward to speaking with you. Annie Lynch

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed here for one night in August. After much hoopla over the phone about how wonderful this place is, I was really disappointed in our room. After discovering it had a handicapped bathroom (meaning NO Tub) I asked if we could get moved to another room. We were told it would be about an hour and a half until it was ready, but we waited 4 hours for the switch and then discovered it was a 'cheaper' (lesser, smaller) room!! For the money we were putting out to stay there for one night, I thought it should be right. After much waiting, they brought us a fridge and an espresso maker so that it had the same 'amenities' as the previous room... It was pretty ridicuolous as there was no place for the fridge in this room... After sending an email to theperson in cust service who booked us (and having it intercepted by a manager) they arranged to put us in yet a different room. It wasn't ready before we went to dinner, sooo we packed up our stuff once again and the staff moved it when we were gone. With all of this going on , it was not a relaxing afternoon at the Sebastian. They told us that for our problems they would comp our breakfast in the morning (which was NOT a good meal there - greasy, slow, and not very appetizing) as well as take something off of our room charge for all of the inconvenience. Well, they didn't . They pride themselves on customer service, etc etc, and they were very good at it, there just wasn't any follow through and we never did get a discounted rate for having to change rooms THREE times in 6 hours!!! I thought it was a bit too much to put up with. I have followed up with my thoughts to the Management, but nothing was done. Very disappointing for what was supposed to be such a fabulous place to stay and touted their customer service as excellent. I was referred to the Sebastian by a friend who had a wonderful weekend there when it was under different management, I'll look elsewhere next time.
Don't they realize that customer service involves following up with customers as well???

SBGirl211

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
alynch84, Director of Sales at The Sebastian - Vail, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear SBGRIL211,

Please call me directly. We do not show issues that resembles yours and I apologize.What you outlined is unacceptable to us and we would like to make this right. Please call me directly at 970-477-8017 and we can review all of your issues.

One thing in your statement is that The Sebastian was under different management when your friend stayed here. There has been no change in The Sebastian-Vail management. We have always been under the Timbers Resorts management. So your friend was serviced by the same people. Again we apologize for the issues and I look forward to hearing from your directly.
Warmest Regards, Annie Lynch

Reviewed October 15, 2011

The Sebastian has really large rooms with very comfortable beds. They give you water, soda, and snacks in your room for free! The staff is very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed purr stay there and will go back soon!