“Great cocktails and tasty food”
Review of Kelly Liken - CLOSED

Kelly Liken
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S. Frontage Road
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We had heard that the cocktail were well-crafted, so when the hostess told us that it would be a 10 minute wait, we were happy to head for the bar. The wait was much shorter, so we barely had time to visit with the bartender and order.

We liked the bejeweled and alpenglow cocktails (~$14 each). I did not care much for the appletude (a bit sweet and just one flavor) and the dream was ok. I had heard about the campfire cocktail and asked for it even though it was not on the menu. Although the drink was not exactly the campfire, it was excellent. It was probably the "smokey the pear". The waiter was able to answer questions we had about the cocktails which was quite impressive.

The prix fixe is not mandatory and it does not include dessert. I ordered two courses while the other 3 of us had the prix fixe 3 course. The pork belly was soft all through with no crispiness. While it was moist, we prefer a combination of crisp top on a soft, melt-in-your mouth chunk of pork. The elk carpaccio was tasty and the sweetbreads were rich and tender. The portion of the sweetbreads was enough for 2 since they are so rich.

For entrees, the duck was excellent and the lamb was good, although ordered as medium-rare was served rare. The trout (signature dish) was creative and delicious.

We only ordered one dessert which was some sort of chocolate mousse. It was fine. Overall, the service was excellent, the cocktails were very good, and the food was good. We thought the 3-course was filling, so the price is ok.

1  Thank BusyMomof4

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody. We had an experience so awful that we passed through the five stages of grievance: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, Acceptance. All this during the 2.5hrs the restaurant had us sitting at their table (and we skipped dessert)

Positive
Food taste was very good.

Cons
»Too slow to bring food out. They bring every round to the table in group, so we have to wait until 5 servers are available to bring all plate to the table together. Kitchen is too slow, at 2 hrs inn we only had 1st round of appetizers. Even thought we ordered our meal when the server was asking for our beverages.
» Food portions are tiny, laughable and insulting, even for a gourmet restaurant. I ordered the pasta appetizer, I got 4 pennes in my plate. The beet salad, I could put it all in my fork at once!
» Restaurant decor was lousy, I mean we felt we were at cheese cake factory. By no means we felt we are at a gourmet restaurant.
» Price, they should be ashamed. $75/person for a 3 meal course. Which I already explained had enough food for a one meal course. It's simply ridiculous.
» Bread portion was one piece for each person. When we ordered more for the table, the person who asked got another piece for him, non for the table.
»Only 5 options for main course, 1 item they only had 3 dishes available, half the table was left scrambling to change to something they didn't really want.
It's unacceptable to only have 5 options for main course. This is a high end restaurant.

Trout 9/10
Lamb ,9/10 (chef selected wrong cut, shank instead of rack)
Cod 7/10

2  Thank WorldTrotter100K-Y
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I had read some variable reviews but wanted to try a chef who has had some credibility in the food world. It was very disappointing and one question I should have asked was whether the chef was there this evening? I write this after just having dinned there tonight. Other than the raw fish crudo starter I had the rest of the meal was either over cooked or undercooked. My pork belly was dry. Though in fairness the scallop was perfect. The flavours were all very good, but the execution was all wrong. The server recommended the Colorado lamb, which I ordered medium rare, it came out very rare, and I actually liked steak rare, but not lamb.

The dishes came out at such a rapid pace it was unbelievable. We felt we were being rushed out of the restaurant even though it wasn't even half full. We arrived at 605 pm and left at 710. I will say though when I told the manager he apologised profusely. Offered all sorts of concessions. We just wanted to leave at that point and he didn't charge me for my meal. I was impressed with his need to appease and remedy the situation. He did what he could to save a sinking ship. However, I feel that this review needs to go out to others who are going to spend a lot of money on a meal. And Though I am not a big eater the three small dishes were not very filling for most people. Wines were also very expensive by the glass. If you really want to try this restaurant just be sure to tell your server that you don't want to be rushed and also that you expect the food to be sent out impeccably.

1  Thank Kristina99
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Our first time going to Kelly Liken, though we have tried many places over the last five years. This is one of our top picks.
Great food. Every dish we ordered was outstanding.
The service was impeccable. Rare is the restaurant that has service this good. We will be going back next trip.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

The food was quite tasty. The service was slow and unprofessional (not the quality you would expect from a AAA 4 diamond restaurant). I understand that tasting menus delivery smaller bites, but with the portions that Kelly Liken serve, there should be a few more dishes. The 3 dish menu will leave you wanting. Modest wine list. The ambience was average.