“Great meal, great atmosphere, excellent service!”
Review of Kelly Liken - CLOSED

Kelly Liken
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S. Frontage Road
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We read the reviews about portions being small, but we left there stuffed! The food was excellent! Rachael was our waitress and she was great. Racheal if you read this, Thanks for the great service and making my birthday special. We started with the pate'. It was sooo good! Next we did the three course menu for the fixed price. My husband had a tomato salad, the duck and some awesome thing called a Nudy? I had a mixed green salad, lamb cheeks ( I know, odd) and halibut. All were really good, but when we go back I am getting the duck and the nudy. They were awesome! It is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for and we fewl we got a great deal!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

A group of five ladies had dinner here on a Friday night in early September and we all found something to love on the prix fixe menu. We had a mussel and shrimp broth course that was phenomenal. Everyone loved the use of the local ingredients. Definitely try the gnudi (naked ravioli was the description) - unbelievably good. The waitstaff was attentive and very friendly and really made sure we enjoyed the evening. The hit of the night, for dessert, was the sticky bun sundae. If you have a sweet tooth, it is just for you - better hope it is still on the menu when you go. And if that isn't enough, the price for the prix fixe was only $74/person (love the offseason)...we thought it was a heck of a deal for such a great meal and can't wait to do it again next year.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is the ultimate in Vail luminary restaurants. Kelly is a legend,
and her restauant has very loyal followers..

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were in Vail in late February with my parents, my brother a friend of my brother and my boyfriend. We went twice which is a compliment but noticed a big difference in service. To note we are European and maybe it seems just to us strange.

The first time was great, good service good food. But to us it is still strange that when you are 20 you have to go through so many difficulties to get a glass of wine, not just here everywhere. I was there with my parents and I am not a binge drinker or something. The atmosphere in general was good, but if you're just with two make sure you won't get the table next to the door. You will be freezing.

We went a second time because of course we enjoyed the first time, but it was some what disappointing. We European people intent to eat more slow than American people, and if you order two bottles of wine it is because the first is for the starter and the entree and the second usually a red wine for the main course. We got our starter very fast, so fast we couldn't believe it was made fresh. After we finished we let the server knew we wanted to take it slowly and were not ready for the entree, within five minutes our entree was served, unbelievable! We finished our dish and let server knew again we didn't appreciate this and wanted to wait with the main course. The servant apologized and told that she told the kitchen to late but she will make sure that the main course would come later. Again our main course was served within 5 minutes, very frustrating and it spoiled the mood on our table, my dad was angry because he ordered two $200 bottles of wine and didn't even had time to drink them properly because we were so rushed! We told the servant we were very annoyed and she apologized again but by that time al our food was already eaten. They tried to fix it to give us all a glass of dessert wine but the damage was unfortunately already done. We think it is unbelievable to eat 3 dishes in one hour, it was clear they overbooked and wanted us to leave to give the table to the next reservation, in general this is something you can't do but certainly not at a table spending $800!

Than I have a general question or note, in The Netherlands tipping is never included, here we were charged for the normal tipping but also $120 because we were with 6 people, when I asked the servant why we were extra charged for $120 she told me it was an extra tipping, so when you are with a large party it is easier to share the tippings! Are you kidding me, you give tips to thank someone for the quality of the food and the service, it is a gesture not something that is obliged!

In general the food was good but it was clear that the communication between the kitchen and the servants was really bad, and thats a real waste...

Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I appreciated the use of farmer's market foods. The seasoning and sauces were in my opinion way over done. Something in the food made our stomachs feel swollen and painful and full after only eating some of it. The jazz music was great.