“Food is good, service not so consistent.”
Review of Kelly Liken - CLOSED

Kelly Liken
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: S. Frontage Road
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Food is good, service not so consistent.”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were in Vail in late February with my parents, my brother a friend of my brother and my boyfriend. We went twice which is a compliment but noticed a big difference in service. To note we are European and maybe it seems just to us strange.

The first time was great, good service good food. But to us it is still strange that when you are 20 you have to go through so many difficulties to get a glass of wine, not just here everywhere. I was there with my parents and I am not a binge drinker or something. The atmosphere in general was good, but if you're just with two make sure you won't get the table next to the door. You will be freezing.

We went a second time because of course we enjoyed the first time, but it was some what disappointing. We European people intent to eat more slow than American people, and if you order two bottles of wine it is because the first is for the starter and the entree and the second usually a red wine for the main course. We got our starter very fast, so fast we couldn't believe it was made fresh. After we finished we let the server knew we wanted to take it slowly and were not ready for the entree, within five minutes our entree was served, unbelievable! We finished our dish and let server knew again we didn't appreciate this and wanted to wait with the main course. The servant apologized and told that she told the kitchen to late but she will make sure that the main course would come later. Again our main course was served within 5 minutes, very frustrating and it spoiled the mood on our table, my dad was angry because he ordered two $200 bottles of wine and didn't even had time to drink them properly because we were so rushed! We told the servant we were very annoyed and she apologized again but by that time al our food was already eaten. They tried to fix it to give us all a glass of dessert wine but the damage was unfortunately already done. We think it is unbelievable to eat 3 dishes in one hour, it was clear they overbooked and wanted us to leave to give the table to the next reservation, in general this is something you can't do but certainly not at a table spending $800!

Than I have a general question or note, in The Netherlands tipping is never included, here we were charged for the normal tipping but also $120 because we were with 6 people, when I asked the servant why we were extra charged for $120 she told me it was an extra tipping, so when you are with a large party it is easier to share the tippings! Are you kidding me, you give tips to thank someone for the quality of the food and the service, it is a gesture not something that is obliged!

In general the food was good but it was clear that the communication between the kitchen and the servants was really bad, and thats a real waste...

• Visited February 2012

“Great Jazz. Over seasoned food”
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I appreciated the use of farmer's market foods. The seasoning and sauces were in my opinion way over done. Something in the food made our stomachs feel swollen and painful and full after only eating some of it. The jazz music was great.

“Good service, ok quality”
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I ate here one of my three nights during my stay in vail. I enjoyed the quality of the food but it was a little pricy. Service was good, they treated me well and made up for the large bill.

Bethesda, Maryland, United States
“Love the Sunday Market Dinner”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The best night to eat at Kelly Liken in the summer is on
Sunday. That is the night that Kelly cooks a 3 course meal based on
what she found in the market that day. I also love Tony's band.

• Visited August 2012
Silverthorne, Colorado
“Great...with a few exceptions”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I recently had a late dinner here and enjoyed everything about the experience...with only one or two exceptions.

Drinks were top notch, service was the best I have experienced in a long time. Employees had their own personality while also maintaining professionalism (key in my book).

Food was amazing, flavors were unique and refreshing..however, portions were tiny. Don't go hungry before a meal here.

My only other comment is on the live music on Sunday nights...it was great and created a happy enjoyable atmosphere, however, was so loud I couldn't carry on a conversation with the person next to me.

• Visited August 2012