Review Highlights
Mending for Bending

We had a great trip on the upper Colorado River with Charlie. He helped us improve our fishing... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
GeneseeLife
Golden, Colorado
Perfect day on the river with Minturn Anglers

greatdayfishing

Recommended experiences in and around Vail
from $89.00
from $107.00
from $103.00
More Info
All reviews trout catch fish eagle river great guide private water an excellent teacher nice fish proper technique drift boat guided trip afternoon trip these guys vail valley top notch flies mandy fished
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One week ago my husband and I took in a 3/4 day with Charlie as our competent, patient and great-natured guide. The pre-booking was easy so when the day came we were ready to go without waiting around filling out paperwork. The shop was inviting and full of pleasant employees wishing us a great day ahead. We followed our guide on a nice drive about 20 minutes from the shop, stopped at a recommended spot to pick up a quick lunch for the day- then Charlie took us the rest of the way towing the boat to the launch site on the Colorado River, this way our car would be down river when we arrived at the end of the day. We caught brown and rainbow trout, took in the beautiful scenery and learned more about a sport we were hoping to start to love. We would highly recommend Minturn Anglers and Charlie. Thank you very much for one of our great adventures in life and certainly the highlight of our trip to CO from Philadelphia suburbs. Julie S.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a wonderful, personable and talented guide, Charley, and very good pre-trip service from the shop. Unfortunately, after a half hour of perfect weather on the Colorado River, the wind kicked up to a point where Charley spent half his time keeping the boat from spinning against the wind or rowing as hard as possible to make headway even with the river current helping. We were prepared for rain, cold weather or hot weather, which would have been just fine, but wind is another story. We caught three 12 to14-inch browns, a fat 15-inch rainbow and a small rainbow but had to bypass what was to be the best river stretch of the trip as conditions deteriorated. The fish were active when we could get the line in the water. Of course, no one can control the wind. Our guide called it the worst he's seen this year, adding that if they know in advance that it would be this bad they reschedule the half-day trip. There was no chance to try dry flies, which was my main reason to do the trip, and we needed extra weight just to get the hopper or beaded flies into the water. It was not the time for my wife to try fly fishing for her first time so she enjoyed just watching. The forecast called for winds to 10mph with stronger gusts to 20 but I had no idea that it could whip down the river valley like it did. Charley stayed cool throughout and worked very hard to keep things safe but I'm pretty sure he didn't enjoy this trip. Without the bad weather I bet this would be a five-star rating, and I'd certainly try Minturn again but with a much more critical eye on the weather by both me and the shop.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Minturn definitely lived up to it's reviews. They made the whole trip so easy. Advance organization, on line forms and guidance getting my fishing license in advance. I arrived totally ready to go. I went for two days with two guides both were fantastic, knowledgeable and patient. I opted for the boat trip rather than wading. I wasn't sure about this, but definitely the way to go. It's set up so you can actually stand and cast your fly rod, and you really can go into every nook that you would wade.

Don't underestimate the afternoon wind!!! The first day was an afternoon trip and despite our best efforts was beautiful, but no fish.
The next day we left bright and early. Much more active day. Lots of bites, many lost but my guide was a great teacher and soon started landing some nice fish, including an 18" rainbow. By early afternoon, we had been out almost six hours and I was ready to quit!

Couldn't keep any fish. As one guide pointed out, "we're business partners", but still great time, great learning and wonderful pictures to show.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My friend & I arranged a fishing trip while in Vail with our wives. He contacted Minturn & arranged for a 3/4 day fly fishing trip on the lower Colorado. Our guide,Mike, picked us up at 8am at our hotel with boat in tow. Mike drove us a little past Glenwood Springs about an hour & 60 miles to our boat ramp. His boat was a fiberglass boat driven by Mike & 2 big oars. Fishing tackle was included so Mike set up 2 fly fishing rods for my buddy & me. He gave us good instructions & we shoved off. We floated a total of 6 miles & during the fishing, Mike told us a lot about the river, the effect on the mines on the river & the clean up (not from a political standpoint) & information about trout. Mike guided us through several prime areas, but with little action. Finally, my buddy hooked a trout & after a good fight, Mike netted the fish. It was a beautiful 18 & 1/2 inch rainbow trout. We were fishing catch & release with a desire to not injure the fish so Mike did all of the handling. Although we had several other bites, we did not catch any other fish. If you have fished enough, you know there are trips like this because of weather, river conditions & other factors. Bottom line, we had a great time & Mike was a great guide with friendliness & good information. We would certainly would recommend Mike & Minturn Anglers Fly Fishing.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had two amazing days on the water! It had been 30 years since I had a fly rod in my hands and it was my wife’s first time ever. Our guide, Scott, was incredible. He was patient and an excellent teacher. It’s always a good fishing trip when you lose count of what you catch and that is exactly what happened. We both landed so many quality fish we lost count. Well, except that the wife is convinced she caught more and bigger fish than me. Regardless of who “won”, we had a great time and highly recommend Scott and Minturn Anglers - whether you are a seasoned angler, or a beginner that always wondered what it would be like to land a big trout on a fly!

Date of experience: August 2019