“Soiree de reve”
Review of La Tour Restaurant

La Tour Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Tour Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Village Center Rd
Transit: If you are riding the Vail Bus, please get off at either the Solaris or Bridge Street stops. If your arriving by Eco Transit or hotel shuttles get off at the top level of the Vail Transportation Center and walk down the steps to your right. We are located directly across the street from the West end of the Vail Transportation Center.
Description: Chef Paul Ferzacca is the chef, owner, and force behind the La Tour experience. Dedicated to developing the best restaurant in Vail he is passionate about creating lasting memories through his carefully crafted dishes.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

La Tour is one of Vail's dining gems. Probably one of the shiniest and most precious. Since 1998, Chef/Owner Paul Ferzacca's restaurant has been a must-go for visitors and locals alike. Recently, this local decided it had been a while since she'd been, so with autumn menu specials in full swing, it was off to La Tour with two other friends and my hubby.

La Tour, right smack in the middle of Vail Village across from Solaris, is listed in the expensive category of Vail Valley restaurants, but it really doesn't cost much above restaurants of far lesser quality. It's worth every penny.

The dining room is sleek and modern without being cold and sterile. The hostess and manager Tom gave warm welcomes. We sat in the back room next to the window, which I liked. The long mirrored wall gives the feeling of openness.

There are several small plates averaging $5. One of these days I'm going to go back and order all of them as they are superb. I took the housemade ricotta with herbs, fleurs de sel and olive oil. With the delicious, crusty housemade (as opposed to housebaked) bread, it was the perfect dish for me. Others at the table had the escargot, lobster bisque and French onion soup. Each proclaimed their choices were delicious, particularly my self-professed "Lobster Bisque Snob" friend who said it was one of the best she'd had.

For my main course, I chose the pan roasted five spice duck breast with spaghetti squash, kale, pomegranate, pickled apple, ginger lemongrass sauce, duck fat powder & chives. To say it was delicious is a huge culinary understatement. Normally, when a dish is described to me with so many different elements, I shy away. But knowing Chef Paul's and his exec chef's reputations, I went for it. The duck was tend, juicy and a perfectly cooked rose color. All the other diverse flavors and textures merged into a synergistic combination of sweet and savory. Perfect dish. I'm going back tomorrow to explore "duck fat powder." How can fat be powdery?

My husband and friend had the pork shank. Although they loved the flavor and presentation, they found it a little dry as pork can sometimes be. But they enjoyed the dish.

The fourth diner - my Lobster Bisque Snob friend - had the Dover sole. She pronounced it "superb."

For dessert, one diner had a delicious, moist (apologies to food critic Amanda Faison for using that word) apple cake with vanilla ice cream. The rest of us split a chocolate sampler. Delicious and worth every calorie.

Wine - until Vail's opening day, all entrees are $20.13 each (Chef Paul's humor - what year is it?). Select bottles of wine are 50% off. Since the wine list is a little on the pricey side, I was ecstatic to find a bottle of 2008 Marchesi di Gresy Barbaresco Martinenga for $57! You can't buy that bottle (or any more recent vintage) at the cellar door for that price. So naturally, I grabbed it. It was fabulous, but I wasn't fair to the wine in ordering the duck that was more suited to an Oregon or Swiss (Valais) pinot noir. I didn't care. I wanted duck and wanted that wine!

Additional wine note: The restaurant has a great wine list, but is very heavy on the French side (c'est normal!). As you can see from my name, I'm a Piemonte-phile, so I head for the Piemonte section of any wine list. Creature of habit. There is another fabulous, must-try red on the list. Matteo Correggia Val dei Preti Roero Nebbiolo. It is the incarnation of the late oenological genius (and one of the Barolo Boys) Matteo Correggia's dream of making an elegant Roero nebbiolo that would stand up to its cousins to the south of the Tanaro River in Barolo. Try it. If you are a fan of reds, you will find this award winning wine to your liking, I'm certain.

Can't wait to return to La Tour. I won't stay a stranger so long any more!

LaTour_Restaurant, Owner at La Tour Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Thank your for your review and recent visit to La Tour Restaurant & Bar! We are pleased to hear that the four of you enjoyed your dining experience with us in Vail, Colorado. The Lobster Bisque is one of our favorites - we're thrilled your friend was able to give it the stamp of approval! We look forward to seeing you again. Happy Holidays! - PF

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Went to Vail on a low/low season weekend and was positively surprised that this restaurant had a promotion of Entrees at $20.13 and half price wine. Considering how abusive prices usually are here, this was a sign. A pitty I did not have the guts to order the $550 Robert Mondavi bottle! Cocktails at $8-$9 (not a bargain, though)

The Maitre received us like a king and queen. He were very attentive, very professional and polite. A high class treament for a low price. I was excited even before we started eating. The server did well also, quick and nice.

The mussels to share were excellent, but the dish is small. Not enough for 3, for sure. The entrees out of this world. The trio of lamb was delicious. Ravioli with lamb pretty good, and the lamb meatball could have been smaller, if they've given us more of the lamb "bacon"; never tried this before: fine sliced lamb fried like bacon. Awesome!!! The Sole a la meuniere was very well presented, and had fresh taste. Excellent.

For the price, hard to find it better. Note: for the regular price my review would probably had been less positive.

1  Thank Pauak

Thank for for taking the time to review your experience with us at La Tour Restaurant & Bar! We appreciate your feedback and truly take every bit into consideration. The trio of lamb is one of our favorites so we're happy to hear that you enjoyed it too! Please come back and see us again next time you are in Vail, Colorado. Happy Holidays! - PF

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Had a splendid dinner with four other Gents while at a conference in Vail. The ambiance was very nice and dined in front of the fire place. Everyone raved of their entrees. I had the Trout entree and it was superb. I have a favorite Lobster Bisque recipe back in Michigan and I hoped this might match it. The southwest kick of the bisque was fun, but not what I expected with this a lobster bisque. Still enjoyable though. I had a very unique PBJ which was a sweetend Peanut butter over thin sweet wafers with a grape sauce and grape sorbet on a bed of finely shopped peanuts. It looked amazing and was a FUN dessert for this style of restaurant. I would recommend the restaurant highly!

Jim, thank you for your review and for visiting us during your stay in Vail, Colorado! We are glad to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your time with us at La Tour Restaurant & Bar. The PB & J is one of a kind - we're glad you enjoyed it as much as we do! Please stop by and say hello next time you are in town! - PF

Reviewed November 3, 2013

First time dining at LA Tour, early snow filled evening preseason dinner.
The good- wonderful location, promo menu $20.13 entrees, bargain for sole. Intimate and romantic table in front of the fireplace. Loved that it was a Sunday night, nice and quiet, eclectic menu, house salad was wonderful. Deserve trio was wonderful.
The bad- sole was way overlooked (crispy???) drinks left unfilled.
Summary- Def worth a return visit. Everything but the entree was superb.

LaTour_Restaurant, Owner at La Tour Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for dining with us and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. At La Tour, it is our goal to provide you with the highest quality food and service. We apologize about your fish and sincerely hope that you brought this to the attention of your waiter. We value your business and hope to see you again in the near future! - PF

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My partner and I are in Vail to celebrate our 30th anniversary and enjoying the finest dining establishments Vail has to offer. The food was great and the service was great. My issue came when I couldn't help noticing being ignored as the manager strolled the restaurant. He visited each of the other 3-5 occupied tables in the establishment, otherwise stood around the rest of the time. As a same sex couple this is fortunately not something we're faced with much any more, but obviously it is still ignorantly around. At about 20% occupancy it is glaringly obvious we were purposely avoided, I have to say this is not a gay friendly restaurant.

1  Thank Rae Jean R
LaTour_Restaurant, Owner at La Tour Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Happy Anniversary! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your meal and service, but equally unhappy to hear your overall experience was less than perfect. I can only hope the intention was to not bother you during your celebration. Please know all are welcome at La Tour and we are extremely sorry you felt anything other than comfortable. I have asked my General Manager, Thomas Gutherie to respond to you as well. I hope you'll consider a return visit to La Tour when you visit Vail. -Chef & Owner Paul Ferzacca

Been to La Tour Restaurant? Share your experiences!