“Great Choice in Vail”
Review of Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil
Reserve with OpenTable
Sweet Basil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating "bistro-like" energy.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Sweet Basil is in the top five restaurants in Vail--depending on your taste, in the same league as Left Bank and Kelly Liken (and far better than Terra Bistro and La Tour).

Food: Excellent. Every appetizer and entree was seasoned and presented properly. Even minor details (hot and cold plates) were attended to.

Service: Outstanding. Obviously the owners/managers pay very close attention to the staff and their training. Our server knew the menu and the details of every item--down to how it was seasoned.

Wine: Outstanding. Great selection (magnum of 2003 Lynch Bages is hard to find at a decent price) and pricing. Recognizable labels across all price ranges.

Ambience: They make you feel welcome in a bustling and fun environment. I was concerned when they opened another restaurant down stairs--but handled well. This place has been in Vail for years, but presents very fresh and clean.

General: One of my favorites in the US--and one of the best in Vail.

There are newer reviews for Sweet Basil

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My experience at Sweet Basil did not measure up to the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. The entrees were very good but considering the price, I expected the food to be outstanding and the dining experience memorable. I was disappointed on both counts. The service was good, but unexceptional. We had a far better experience at Game Creek on Christmas Eve for not much more cost.

1  Thank SebagoSue
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My husband and I attended the first seating of 4 courses on New Year's Eve. It was the best meal I have had at Sweet Basil in the twenty years I've visited the restaurant. We began with a scallop, moved on to ahi tuna crudo and crab canneloni and then to the entrees of lamb and fish. Dessert choices were excellent as well. Portions were small, but packed with flavor. You could really taste the layering of flavor in the red snapper with vanilla, Asian pears, and coconut sweet potato puree. I would definitely recommend any set menu at Sweet Basil.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Sweet Basil continues to be a Vail standout. Our family makes it a regular restaurant stop on our many visits to Vail. Food is outstanding. Service was a bit rushed at our most recent visit Xmas week, as our drinks took a long time and got to our table just before our appetizers. We will return!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

When in Vail we love to have a wonderful ladies lunch at Sweet Basil. The service is outstanding and the food is delicious. On this trip we particularly enjoyed the calamari and shrimp appetizer. The luncheon portions are perfect so you don't leave feeling too stuffed. Such a treasure in Vail but we prefer for lunch versus dinner.