“O O OMG - AMAZING”

Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Voted #1 in Colorado by Zagat Survey, Sweet Basil has been a must for travelers and locals alike since 1977. The cuisine is creative contemporary American utilizing many cultural influences from around the world. Located in the heart of Vail Village, the restaurant blends fine dining with a captivating trendy energy.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The food at Sweet Basil was absolutely amazing.
My husband & I went there for lunch on our last day in Vail & we definitely saved the best for last.

We both had the Muscovy Duck & it was spectacular.

I want to buy the recipe book to see if I can replicate (even slightly) the amazing food.
Even the plates going out to other diners looked delicious.

One improvement - the wine list was not as good as I would have expected for the food that was served. Perhaps they need to talk to the fine wine store across the road to get some pointers.

1  Thank Sue J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,477)

Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have returned to this restaurant for the last 3 years. It gets better each year. My husband had the salmon appetizer and the venisonl and I had the beet salad and the scallops. I swear they know how to cook scallops better than anyone. What a great atmosphere and great service. Do not miss this restaurant if you are in vail. Not to be missed.

1  Thank wbrafman
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Refreshing. Lots of flavor, that transport me to Catalunya, Spain..... Loud, but alive.
Great experience.

1  Thank Mapi T
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Six of us went to Sweet Basil with high expectations based on prior dinners and reputation. Obviously a high end institution, SB seated us promptly at 7:30 PM, waitstaff very solicitous and experienced. Lovely menu, wine list, and specialty cocktails, only thing not on the menu were oysters from the the two coasts of Canada. First courses included shrimp bisque, beet salad, Caesar salad, at $16 which seemed quite high, and my breaded sweetbreads over wild rice risotto which was very good. Three of us had seared ahi tuna which was judged to be good, not great at $34 per serving. The pork chop was said to be juicy and savory, but the tortellini mostly filled with spinach, little seafood, and relatively tasteless. As expected , the bill for the six of us was @ $500 including gratuity, but the consensus was that the meal was 7 on a 10 point scale. We were not entirely disappointed, expected better of a place with this much history and buildup.

2  Thank Sid Y
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Have eaten here since the early 1990's and they always have fine food, but not as tops as it used to be. $16 for a Caesar salad was annoying, higher than Boston or NY. Salad was small, entrees are good not great. Server was average. $185 for two with one glass of wine. simply overpriced

2  Thank PalmBeachGolfer44

Been to Sweet Basil? Share your experiences!