“Would not recommend”
Review of The Left Bank

The Left Bank
Reserve with OpenTable
The Left Bank is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 123 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: International Bridge
Description: Recently remodeled after 44 years, Left Bank has been a place to wine and dine for discerning locals and visitors from around the world since 1970. Specializing in a very traditional French menu with a modern twist, Left Bank brings you a true fine dining experience in an exquisitely classic way. We have cultivated relationships in France and California over the past 44 years in order to bring you selections of the rarest wines available, impeccably stored and aged for your drinking pleasure. With Jean-Michel Chelain as your Chef - it is my pleasure to consistently use only the freshest ingredients of the finest quality and prepare everything from scratch. Our menu features specials such as Gigolette d'Agneau and Bouillabaisse de Crustaces au Fenouil to offer a truly remarkable culinary dream giving your taste buds a treat. Come see what Left Bank has to offer where you don't just come to eat, you come to dine.
rockford, il
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We are home owners in the Vail area and have dined at most of the restaurants here as well as many Michelin restaurants around the world. This was our first experience at the Left Bank. Immediately upon arrival at 6:30 pm we were abruptly told there was another seating at our table at 8:30 pm and we needed to be finished. Not a great start an experience at a fine french restaurant. We were seated next to a musician playing a guitar. He was a superb player buy played so loudly we could not hear each others conversation. One member of our party is a vegetarian and the reservation through open table included a notation that we needed a vegetarian meal. We were told they could make anything and they recommended the risotto which we ordered. The waitress returned saying they could not make the risotto. We ordered the special vegetarian plate. It was smaller than most salads at a French Restaurant.

The rest of the entrees were acceptable, but nothing special. The dining room is beautiful. Too bad the service and the food does not match the room.

The waitress was not attentive. She would ask how was our meal was and would turn and leave before we could respond. Reminded me of a Flight Attendant would would not make eye contact for fear she would be asked for something.

We ordered the souffle's for desert. Almost all egg whites with very little substance. The chocolate souffle contained so little chocolate you could not even taste it. If you have enjoyed a souffle at the Four Seasons do not order one of these. You will be very disappointed. The Grand Marnier souffle was equally disappointing.

I do not recommend this restaurant. There are many better choices in the Vail area.

• Visited December 2013

Machesney Park, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Find another restaurant”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I along with my father and step-mother decided to try a new restaurant; my parents are locals and wanted to venture away from their usual favorites. The location was easy to find. The coat checker was friendly, and then it started to go down hill from there. The hostess started off as she was seating us saying that our table was booked for another reservation at 8:30pm (ours was at 6:30pm). When my step-mother commented about how that was odd to be told something like that before being seated for "fine dining", the hostess made some comment about how it was very European. My step-mother is 20 years into a career as a Purser for a major airline, has been all over the world, and has never received such a comment in any European country. The service was rushed to put it bluntly. The server would ask you a standard question, like "how is everything?" but walk away before you could answer.

The most frustrating part was the crap they pulled with my wife's order. She is a vegetarian, and the server told her that the chef could make a vegetable risotto. When the food arrived, they delivered a plate of vegetables and a bowl of buttered noodles. They didn't even bother to come back and say that they could not make the risotto and to ask if she would like anything else. She would have gotten a salad and soup.

I ordered the filet mignon. It did have good flavor, it was cooked perfectly, but it looked like it was an 8 ounce cut butterflied and the other half removed. The souffés were disappointing as well. I had the chocolate soufflé, and all I could taste were egg whites. You could not taste any chocolate from the base. I have never had such a light soufflé. Also, I did witness the server deliver another soufflé to the table next to us. As she set the tray down, the top of the soufflé feel off. She picked it up, placed it back on, and served it to the customer as if nothing happened.

This is not the level of service I expected from an establishment where a meal for four people (including a bottle of rose champagne) was $450 excluding tip.

tl;dr Spend your money elsewhere.

• Visited December 2013
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Great food ruined by appalling service”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

I know it was Christmas Eve and busy but we arrived, checked in and were then left standing in our coats for 15 minutes. No "can we take your coats" or "your table is late have a drink at the bar" just left. I chased up, "I'll find out" was the answer. Nothing. We then had amazing food, but managed the whole of our starter without our wine being poured. Then we left. No "Happy Christmas" not even a "Thank You" It cost us $543 for two. Never going back.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Peter H
“Real French Flair”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Food was very good with some menu selections a bit expensive. They have a highly trained serving staff, really felt like a formal restaurant in France with all of their presentations. The staff completed many of the dishes tableside. Appetizers were pricey as we paid $18 for each of ours. The Bouillabaisse was $42 but I have to admit it was a generous portion and the server came with an additional portion when half was consumed to warm it up. Very attentive to details and the dessert soufflés are wonderful. Spent a lot for dinner but we consumed lot of wonderful food.

• Visited September 2013
Kansas City, Kansas
“Very good”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very good French food in Vail. The service was fair, not the best but certainly not bad. We came in pretty late and it was summer so not sure if that had something to do with it. But definitely just a good solid French meal, which I am always appreciative of.

• Visited August 2013

Been to The Left Bank? Share your experiences!