“Memorable Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Larkspur

Larkspur
Reserve with OpenTable
Larkspur is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 123 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: Contemporary, American
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Free Town of Vail bus route - Golden Peak stop.
Description: The ultimate Vail culinary experience. Larkspur Events & Dining is a year round events venue at the base of Vail Mountain, also offering winter ski in/ski out lunch & après. Casual dinners are offered on Fridays and Saturdays during the winter season. Larkspur focuses on private events, weddings, meetings and special gatherings.
New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Memorable Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2008

From the moment we walked in the door, we loved this place. The hostesses were warm and friendly, our waitress and waiter were outstanding, the atmoshere was warm and inviting and the food was excellent. It is a bit pricey, but so is everything in Vail. I would highly recommend this restaurant and I look forward to going back someday.

1 Thank susanch

California
“Couldn't Be More Disappointed...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2008

I relied on this website when trying to pick out the perfect restaurant to take my boyfriend to for his birthday. The reviews seemed great and the locals raved about it so I figured it was a slam dunk. Unfortunately my experience fell way below my expectations.

My boyfriend and I arrived early so we sat at the bar, which funny enough was the BEST part of the night! The bartender was attentive and took the time to answer my questions. He even notified me that ALL wine bottles were 50% off. I thought he was joking at first but they were actually having a special on wine. I went ahead and ordered wine while my boyfriend had beer. When our table was ready I wanted to close out with the bartender (he was great and I wanted to give him the tip), it was then that he notified me that they pooled tips so he would just transfer the tab over to the server.

Unfortunately this is where it all went downhill. We were greeted by a server (at the time we thought he was our server but later found out he was a helper...although we were the only table he was helping). This helper took our appetizer, Entree, and Dessert order. Our "real" server only showed up 4 TIMES. Once to introduce himself and at that time took my salad order (although my boyfriend had to call him back for us to even order it), the second time he asked if our Entrees were okay, third to take our entrees away, and fourth to drop the check (which we had to flag down the helper to ask him to bring us our check. I also have to mention that he offered the souffle after we finished our meals ( I really wanted the souffle but we were so far over the situation that we didn't want to wait another 15/20 minutes for dessert).

Aside from the bad service the part that made both my boyfriend and I so upset is that I felt I was getting shunned by our server because we are young (25), Our server made us feel like we were expendable and the "helper" can take our table. We watched as other tables got bread (we didn't). Our server paid special attention to all his other tables and took the time to explain the menu, while every time he came to ours it was in passing. Another thing was when he dropped the bill off he just put it on the table and didn't even say a word! I was incredibly embarrassed since this was my boyfriend's birthday dinner and all he wanted to do was leave. I may be young, but I had money to spend and apparently it wasn't good enough for this server...

On top of the HORRIBLE service our Entrees were mediocre. The truffle fries and Bibb Salad were excellent, but the Hawaiian Bigeye Tuna and Prime New York Strip were not up to my expectations. We had the stuffed donuts for dessert and they were okay, I am still disappointed we were not offered the Souffle earlier because that is what I really wanted.

I would never go back to this restaurant or recommend it to my family or friends. The service was bad and so were the entrees. I was made to feel like my business wasn't as important as other tables there, which is NEVER okay. When I look back I realize I paid a lot of money for a really bad time.

1 Thank jperha28
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Amazing...that's all I can say.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2008

Amazing...that's all I can say.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible food with gourmet pretensions”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2007

I had Christmas dinner at Larkspur last night and was very disappointed with the food and the service. Larkspur gets a good supply of customers because it is right at the base of the slopes where there is plenty of foot traffic, but there is absolutely nothing else to recommend it. We should have known better when the New England clam chowder at the Larkspur market turned out to be a weak broth flavored with bacon and not a single clam, and the tomato soup was little different from tomato sauce out of a can, but we figured the top chef doesn't turn up till dinner time. Well, we would probably have been better off if he stayed at home. At dinner time, the beet salad consisted of nine artfully arranged but flavorless little beet squares, and the pork belly was dry on top and flavored with nothing but piles of salt (the best piece of pork belly you'll ever have, said the waitress). The squash ravioli consisted of a handful of small, deflated bits of pasta that barely covered the bottom of the bowl, in spite of being laid out carefully in a single layer, and again, the taste was passable but I'm certain you've made better pasta at home. The "best entree on the menu", the cod with haricots verts, was the biggest disappointment. Once again the only flavor was that of salt, and so much of it that the dish was barely edible. The fish itself was skinless and tasteless (nice crispy skin according to the waitress), and the few haricots verts were unpleasantly rubbery (yes, they are supposed to be lightly cooked to preserve crunchiness, but not to be rubbed with salt and thrown directly from the freezer onto the plate). All in all, the plain baguette and butter were the focus of our Christmas dinner, as everything else was inferior. I have also never paid much attention to the quality of service before, and figured that anyone who can fetch the food and take away the dirty dishes is doing a reasonable job. Not so at Larkspur. While the waitress was all smiles, none of the food resembled what she described, the bread arrived only when we were almost done with the appetizers, and the staff tried to remove it two minutes thereafter and then repeatedly throughout dinner. She also forgot to put in our order for a chocolate souffle (which takes 15 minutes and needs to be ordered ahead of time), and by the time we got to desert they were completely out of both the souffle and of a tart that would have been our second choice -- we didn't even get an apology. Overall, it felt like a superficial imitation of a gourmet restaurant. The decor was right, the presentation was right, the staff looked polished, the menu was well balanced, and the prices were sky high, but don't let that fool you into thinking that you will dine well at Larkspur -- there are many places in Vail where the chef can cook and doesn't need to fake it. Your money and time would be better spent elsewhere.

1 Thank vailskiier
San Francisco, California
“Always excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

My boyfriend and I have dined here often. The truffle fries are such a treat and totally decadent. Consistently good fish and meat with a fabulous wine list. Will continue to go here.

1 Thank CJM123