“We had to look for them”
Review of Blu's Restaurant

Blu's Restaurant
Ranked #75 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Racquet Club Drive
Description: Now located at the Vail Racquet Club Mountain Resort in East Vail, offering an eclectic menu at moderate prices. Featuring daily dinner specials and breakfast on weekends.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We visited Blu's frequently in their previous location but we had to look for them in East Vail. The new location has a very friendly feel to it with a much better bar area than the old spot. The wine list was special as usual with a great variety of choices. I ordered a hoisin grilled pork chop and it was the best tasting piece of pork I have ever eaten! I will certainly be back...it is definitely worth the trip out to
East Vail.

Tom A, Owner at Blu's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you very much for visiting us, as well as your kind words. We are in the restaurant business to get things right, and it's always nice to hear when our hard work comes to fruition. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I'm pretty sure I (favorably) reviewed Blu's last year, but that seems to be gone from Trip Advisor just like Blu's is gone from the heart of Vail.
I'm not that into high-end travel, so I had enjoyed eating at Blu's the past couple years - solidly prepared food that was reasonably priced ... for Vail. I had a car and was willing to treck to East Vail to follow the name, the food, the value.
Alas, things seem to be not so good for Blu's. The food was OK - maybe the Shepherd's Pie special wasn't the right move, I'd always liked the red trout before but had just had some in Breck a couple days before. The pie was dry, not a drop pan juice like the pies I've had many times in England, and I was surprised when the check came - it was a special and it was my mistake not to ask the (not very worth-it) price.
I actually like the new bar, it seems cozy and I tend to eat at the bar if I'm solo. Service was fine as the bartender only had 4 customers. Given that it was St. Patty's day, I'm thinking Blu's move to the Racquet Club may not work out well for them if that's the scene on a big day.
If they can cook like they did in their old location, and get more customers thru the door, perhaps I'll be back. I'll for sure look for more reviews before I do.

Tom A, Owner at Blu's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer this feedback.
We serve two different versions of the pie, one with buffalo and one with beef. After reading your review, we did some tweaking and testing with the recipe by adding more of a gravy and found that it evolved into a better product.

We are now offering a better product to our patrons thanks to your input!

We have become more of a neighborhood "Cheers" type of location with our move. We are working hard in our new location to make the food and service that people expect from Blu's as consistant and praise worthy as in the past.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

When on a recent ski trip to Vail I stayed at the Vail Racquet Club, which I knew was far away from all the restaurants and action in Vail proper, but I was surprised to find a restaurant located in the same building as the registration desk. I decided to have dinner there that night and avoid the long trip to Vail. The clerk at the registration desk advised me that they open the bar at 4:00 PM and just serve pizza and beer and that the main restaurant opens at 5:00 PM.

I like to eat early, especially if I'm having a large dinner so I sleep well that night. At 5:00 PM I was at their door and was seated at a nice table. The menu was extensive as was the wine list. I saw a lot of interesting wines listed that I normally wouldn't expect to see, so I thought I might be in for some pleasant surprises. The food menu was extensive as well and I was thinking about doing one of the seafood dishes as they had both trout and salmon on the menu. But then I saw an item on the menu that caught my eye and I decided it was going to be a European dinner night.

They make a Gypsy Schnitzel which is much like a Wiener Schnitzel but this was finished a little differently. Thinly sliced pork loin, breaded and pan fried (Veal became popular and used in the dish because of the large Jewish population in Vienna many years ago) and served with a large amount of spaetzle (special German noodles) in a gravy with grilled onions and red bell peppers. For an appetizer I ordered a great Blackened Tuna Sashimi dish of seared ahi tuna served rare with wasabi, soy sauce, pickled ginger, Asian slaw and fried wonton chips. Ah, that was so good I could have just done three or four of those for dinner. I ordered a very nice Slovene Pinot Gris that reminded me of some nice Rhine wines. The appetizer and wine went together very nicely.

Since things were slow at the moment the owner and general manager, Tom, stopped by, and we started a discussion about what else, food and wine. Tom knew his stuff about both topics and we had a great time talking, but then the crowds started coming in.

When the entre came out I ordered another glass of the Slovene wine which was great with the dish. When Tom had a moment, he stopped by again and told me about his favorite California Pinot Noir and poured me a glass. It was delicious and went as well with the dish as the white. There was no doubt in my mind that this was a jewel of a restaurant. Good food, great wine list and good service. I did have some decafe espresso and strawberries and cream to finish off a very delightful dinner. It was truly a typical European dinner. When I left about 6:30 PM or a little later, there wasn't an empty table in the place. That in itself speaks for the fine quality of food and service of Blu's. I'll miss it, don't you.

So happy to hear you enjoyed your experience. We appreciate the positive review and hope to see you again in Vail for dinner.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

How I long for the old days at Blu's. The days when the food was consistently delicious, the service was tolerable and the atmosphere was enjoyable. The last two years I have visited Blu's it has been more like the food is tolerable and...well everything else is absolutely intolerable! It's so sad that such a Vail institution has gone so far down hill. The restaurant would have hope if every server was canned.

1  Thank cgbash

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for the mistakes made as we settle into our new home. We strive for excellence, but clearly missed the mark on your visit. We have discussed your review with our entire staff and have made it clear that this is not acceptable. We hope you do give us another chance in the near future.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We had dinner at their bar and I have to say - save your time and money and go somewhere else.
The food is not tasty at all and the service is spotty. No ambiance and energy in this place. We went there when it was called Alpine Tavern and the European food by Peter was outstanding.
Not sure whats happen now? Not worth the drive anymore...

1  Thank Malambo1

We apologize for your less than perfect experience. There is no excuse for poor service.