“Excellent food and service”
Review of Mountain Standard

Mountain Standard
Reserve with OpenTable
Mountain Standard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: American, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: The Vail Village free in town bus shuttle is available year round throughout the village. Take the bus to the Covered Bridge stop and proceed as noted below. Free public transportation is also available from East to West Vail into the Transportation Center at the main parking structure.
Description: From the creators of the legendary Sweet Basil in Vail Colorado, comes a fresh, innovative new restaurant. Aptly named Mountain Standard, this rustic and relaxed tavern aims to set a new standard in the Vail valley by using an ancient form of cooking.The majority of Mountain Standard’s menu is prepared via the most primal cooking method: over an open and live wood fire. The only restaurant in the valley to devote themselves to this age-old way of cooking, the food at this exciting new restaurant has rustic, bold and honest flavors, focusing on the purest ingredients in the Rocky Mountain region and beyond.Service, like the cuisine, has that perfect balance of providing a first class dining experience with a more casual vibe. There is no smoke and mirrors here – no fuss – just simple, honest, from the heart service and cooking. The beauty of the creek side location is mirrored by the high energy vibe of this dynamic restaurant.It is this energy, outstanding service, and hand crafted food that enables Mountain Standard to offer a truly unique dining experience, approachable and enjoyable to everyone.
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

The man at the front desk recommended this, saying it was his favorite place to eat. I can see why. If we lived in Vail I would eat here at least once a week. Great food and service. Cheers!

• Visited July 2014

Dubai
“Good Food, Uneven Service”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife and I dined at Mountain standard twice while we were in Vail in early August. The first time was for lunch, where we had a stone fruit salad and a Caesar salad (with water to drink - totaling $23.85, including tax). The second time was for dinner, where we ordered one drink, one appetizer, two mains, and two glasses of wine (totaling $92.14, including tax).

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Mountain Standard. We found the salads to be fresh and well-prepared, and the service to be attentive. We thought there were so many interesting items on the menu, we decided to come back for dinner later in the week. [We even thought that Mountain Standard had more creative items on the menu than the sister restaurant, Sweet Basil, which is upstairs and is among the top restaurants in Vail. In fact, it was during a dinner at Sweet Basil that we reaffirmed our decision to come back to Mountain Standard for dinner.]

Our dinner was less than stellar. While we were excited about the food options on offer, it was hard to enjoy the food as we were rushed through our meal. The server pushed us to order quickly. He brought our appetizer less than five minutes after we ordered. He brought our mains before we had finished our appetizer. He removed my bread plate while I still had a piece in my hand. He removed my dinner plate while I was still chewing my last bite of food. He had the check in his hand when he asked us if we wanted dessert. We gave up and decided to leave. All told, we were in the restaurant exactly one hour.

The other negative for my dinner was the (very) rare preparation of my lamb. I generally order red meats medium or medium rare, but this was purplish and cool to the touch. In my entire life, I've asked to send a dish back to the kitchen maybe two or three times. I'm a very easygoing diner. When the manager stopped by our table to ask about our meals, I commented that the flavors were good, but that the lamb would be better if cooked a little longer. She gladly offered to put the meat back on the grill, but if this was done, when it was returned, it was still quite rare, and still difficult to cut and chew. There was no point in sending it back again, and so I resolved to eat a few of the better-cooked portions and just try to be content.

Overall, we would still recommend Mountain Standard. They have a sophisticated menu and a great buzz. If you go, however, be prepared to be assertive about how you want your food prepared. And if you're wanting to enjoy your meal at a relaxed pace, I would suggest ordering one course at a time as well.

Visited August 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
“Terrific 'farm to table' menu”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Our dining experience at Mountain Standard was outstanding...it easily rivaled my many trips to some of the finest farm to table restaurants in Charleston, SC. Each dish was simple, delicious, and innovative. The service at the bar was terrific and each recommendation was spot on! Thanks, Nick!

• Visited August 2014
The Villages, FL
“Don't Miss This Restaurant”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stopped here on a friends recommendation and we were totally pleased. We started by sharing the corn chowder (delicious), followed by their version of bruschetta (amazing) and ended with the organic salmon (terrific). We topped it off with the seasonal crisp, peach and blueberry, with ice cream. This was the best meal on our 2 week trip.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Connie S
Houston, TX
“Delicious food, great semi/outdoor dining”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We sat on the covered patio right where they could close a wall off when the weather is too cold. But, it was a cool evening and perfect to dine al-fresco. You can see the creek during the day, and hear it at night from the patio. We ordered the trout and striped bass for dinner and enjoyed them both so much! Great flavors and presentation. They also make a great margarita "The Standard" which rivals their sister restaurant Sweet Basil's margarita. I was pleased about this - consistency! We also ordered the peanut butter (cheesecake?) pie and it was decadent...perfect with a glass of red wine. I would definitely dine here again (and preferred it over Sweet Basil).

Visited August 2014

Been to Mountain Standard? Share your experiences!