“Good food and atmosphere!”
Review of Mountain Standard

Mountain Standard
Reserve with OpenTable
Mountain Standard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: American, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: The Vail Village free in town bus shuttle is available year round throughout the village. Take the bus to the Covered Bridge stop and proceed as noted below. Free public transportation is also available from East to West Vail into the Transportation Center at the main parking structure.
Description: From the creators of the legendary Sweet Basil in Vail Colorado, comes a fresh, innovative new restaurant. Aptly named Mountain Standard, this rustic and relaxed tavern aims to set a new standard in the Vail valley by using an ancient form of cooking.The majority of Mountain Standard’s menu is prepared via the most primal cooking method: over an open and live wood fire. The only restaurant in the valley to devote themselves to this age-old way of cooking, the food at this exciting new restaurant has rustic, bold and honest flavors, focusing on the purest ingredients in the Rocky Mountain region and beyond.Service, like the cuisine, has that perfect balance of providing a first class dining experience with a more casual vibe. There is no smoke and mirrors here – no fuss – just simple, honest, from the heart service and cooking. The beauty of the creek side location is mirrored by the high energy vibe of this dynamic restaurant.It is this energy, outstanding service, and hand crafted food that enables Mountain Standard to offer a truly unique dining experience, approachable and enjoyable to everyone.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Got caught in the rain and jumped in for lunch and refuge. We had an excellent waiter--Todd--who knew everything about the menu and how everything was prepared. He was fabulous. We split a club sandwich which was huge and the fries were just perfect. Would definitely go back!

There are newer reviews for Mountain Standard

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'm sorry, this was one of the worst experiences I've had in Vail. First, the server didn't follow up with my son's allergy request-- we had ordered the onion rings and asked the server to see if there were any nuts in the batter. He never came back and when I asked him as he was walking by he said, "Oh, yeah, your're cool...go ahead and eat them"...Seriously...a child with a severe allergy and he takes it like it's no big deal!!".

My other son ordered a lemonade and never received it until I asked him about it-- at least 15 minutes later. Third, appetizer came out with entree ( he said, 'we will take your order all at once and the chef will decide how it comes out". Really??? What happened to what the guest would like??

The server never asked if we would like a second glass of wine, never asked us how our meal was and lastly, I had a nice blonde hair in my salad....at that point, I was so disgusted, I didn't say anything but didn't finish my salad. I left a note on the back of the receipt with what happened with my name and phone number and no one called me to discuss my frustration.

Hopefully, they can focus on a 'higher' standard and not a local 'mountain' standard. We travel frequently and safe to say, this was one of the worst restaurant experiences I can remember.

2  Thank aepolka
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We enjoyed a delicious meal (fish and steak) with great presentation and service. The restaurant has nice decor and ambience and overlooks a stream running through Vail. It's owned by the folks who run Sweet Basil in Vail, where we have had great past meals. Very enjoyable; we will go back again. NOTE: We had our 2 year old with us for dinner; there was a kid's menu and booster chair available, but because of the small footprint, it's not a great restaurant for kids (especially if they are misbehaving.) I had to take our toddler outside for a short walk two times while we were waiting for food to arrive/be taken away. Overall, great experience!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Enjoyed a nice bottle of wine and a great lunch at this fairly new hot spot owned by the same group that owns Sweet Basil.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Charlie helped us pick out a bottle of great white wine....it's just too bad he wasn't our server. Our service was horrible:( Good food, would recommend a vegetarian main entree like a pasta, risotto etc.....the options are limited if you do NOT ear meat/fish. Great ambiance & decor:)

1  Thank shannonnieb917