“Quaint stay in downtown Vail”
Review of Austria Haus Hotel

Austria Haus Hotel
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We were only in Vail for one night and found this little place to be a deal. The rooms were very small, but each seemed to have their own charm.

The only compaints: Our room was the first one off of the main lobby/corridor, so we heard everyone going in and out. And, we were leaving early in the morning to go white water rafting and zip-lining and were happy to have stayed somewhere with breakfast included. Unfortunately, breakfast was not ready when we were leaving at 8. The woman that set everything up for breakfast saw us looking in the dining hall door though and took us in, made us coffee and gave us a selection of the bagels that would be put out. Definitely can't say that they are anything but accommodating.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review. Breakfast does start at seven and goes to ten on the weekdays and eleven on the weekends. Regarding your issue with breakfast not being ready at eight o'clock I will be sure to notify the proper individual to insure this does not happen again. Please feel free to call our reservations department or the Hotel directly when it comes to booking your next visit so that we may be sure to make your stay as comfortable as possible and away from the elevators.
Warm regard,
Oliver Segall
Resident Manager

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Lovely Alpine-style hotel!! Staff was friendly and helpful!! Summer vacations in Vail are wonderful. The village is bustling with Sunday Farmers Market, hiking, swimming in the river and relaxing poolside.

Room Tip: request a room with a bathtub.....as some rooms only have a shower stall
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank localDENVERskigal
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time for writing this great review. I know all of us at the Austria Haus take great pride providing the best possible costumer service along with making sure all of our guest have a wonderful experience. Please come visit us in the winter, and if you do decide to stay with us in either the summer or the winter please feel free to call to let us know if you have any preferences and or special requests. Just a friendly reminder the weekly farmers market only goes on during the summer through early Fall, however there are plenty of other activities to partake during the Spring and Winter.
Oliver B. Segall
Resident Manager-Austria Haus

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This hotel really excels at service. From the moment you arrive you are treated as a special guest with all your needs attended to. And heading up this exceptional staff is the manager Olivier. He has a firm grips of the old world concept of hospitality. Enjoy.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank D F

All of us at the Austria Haus really appreciate the review you posted. It’s our goal to insure every guest leaves feeling that all of the staff gave them that personal touch to make our guests visit a memorable one. Next time your planning your trip to the Vail please keep us in mind and feel free to call to make sure we get all the details right.
Oliver Segall

Reviewed November 25, 2013

I thought this was a great place for our needs. We just wanted a weekend get away to stroll around Vail. Mind you the mountain just opened and the snow was not yet that great, but the Austria Haus gave us what we needed. Location, warm room with a great fireplace. Staff was very friendly, although the valet seemed slightly put out we didnt want our car yet when we checked out. But the reception was nice enough to allow us to stay parked there a little longer. Great suggestions on places to eat, I suggest Le Tour. The only downfall was the view. We had a street side view instead of the mountain. But that is OK, we still had the other side of Vail.

Room Tip: Ask for slope facing room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel is half fractional ownership and half hotel. This is a very quiet hotel with a great location in Vail Village, near shops and restaurants. The service is excellent, the rooms are spacious, ours had a fireplace and heated marble floors in the bathroom. Breakfast is included with your stay, valet parking, hot tub and heated pool. Please note there is an additional $20 resort fee not included. The valet service is excellent and the staff is helpful and friendly.
I love the hot tub and pool but the lighting is non existent inside the pool and hot tub which makes it pretty much impossible to see the steps. We stayed at this hotel last year also, and remember the towels and bathrobes feeling much newer and fluffier, these should be replaced

Room Tip: Top level rooms have angled ceilings above bed, and if you get up quickly can hit head on ceiling...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rita W
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Thank you for your post! I am glad our staff was able to meet all of your service needs during your stay! Thank you for letting me know about the robes in your room. I will have our housekeeping team address this. If you have time to email me and let me know what room you stayed in I will have them check that specific room. Thanks again for your review!

Shannon Best
sbest@vailresorts.com
Director of Rooms

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I would have given this a higher review, a 4 at least, if it weren't for the fact that at leaving they hit us with a undisclosed "resort fee" of $20, which was explained to me as the fee for internet, breakfast, and parking. Internet, breakfast, and parking had been advertised as free or included(huh?). When we found the hotel (which wasn't easy) and were greeted at the door I asked about where I could park and was told that it was valet parking only. That was untrue as there is free public parking quite nearby. That restricted our mobility, and bothered me as I just don't care for valet parking. The room was quite nice. I just wish it had ended on a positive note.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jay M
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am disappointed that the resort fee and parking had a negative impact on your stay. Most of the hotels in Vail have a parking fee in addition to the resort fee, so we want to make sure that our guests know that at the Austria Haus we include the parking and all of our other hotel amenities and services in the resort fee as an added benefit for choosing our hotel. I am sorry that this was not communicated clearly to you. I would be happy to discuss your stay in more detail with you if you would like. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of further assistance. Thank you.

Shannon Best
Director of Rooms
sbest@vailresorts.com

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel when it was the Sonnenalp, back in the 80's. It was lovely then, and continues to be so today. My wife and I have been back two years in a row to stay at the Austria Haus, and wouldn't think of staying at any other property in Vail. It's a good location, has a very friendly and helpful staff, and has maintained a very comfortable and elegant European character. The breakfast is very nice, and the pool and hot tub are welcome amenities, overlooking Gore Creek, Vail Village and the ski slopes. Can't wait until our next chance to visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave C
LAV81657, Manager at Austria Haus Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for posting about your past stays at the Austria Haus! Please let me know if there is ever anything that I can do to make your time at the Austria Haus more enjoyable. I love reading posts from people who have been coming to the property for years as that is the best compliment that we can get! We hope to see you and your wife again soon!