“Awesome overall experience”

Vail Backcountry Tours
Ranked #6 of 20 Tours in Vail
More attraction details
Owner description: Vail Backcountry Tours is the only tour company in Vail Colorado. Why sit in a van for half the day when you can snowmobile just across the street from Vail Mountain? We pride ourselves in providing the most diverse and accessible terrain in the Valley. Our experienced, safe, and knowledgeable staff is guaranteed to show you the trip of a lifetime. Family friendly snowmobile tours, that are 5 minutes from downtown Vail.
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had a great trip with VVT yesterday. It was FREEZING but they made sure we were all adequately dressed. It was nice they picked us up and it was such close proximity to town. Brian was our guide he was wonderful! He let us have tons of fun but made sure we were still safe. About 20 minutes into our tour my hands were freeeeeezing despite the 2 pair of gloves and heated handlebars. We stopped and he came around to check on us. He gave me handwarmers that definitely saved the day. The terrain was beautiful even though visibility was low. And to top it all off the yurt was amazing. Hot lunch, cocoa, cookies, and a wood burning stove were all a great reprieve from the frigid temps. AMAZING TIME! Would definitely send people your way!

1  Thank Kristen W
"awesome tour"
in 5 reviews
"awesome experience"
in 11 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"snowmobile experience"
in 5 reviews
"fantastic guide"
"open fields"

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I signed up for the 2.5 hour tour after reading great reviews on TripAdvisor (pre-book for a 10% discount!). They picked us up right on time from our hotel and drove us about 10-15 minutes from the hotel to where the tour is based. Our tour guide was Brian - who was amazing! We met the infamous Gregg too, who was super nice. They helped us to suit up with snow pants, boots, helmets, gloves, goggles - they literally had everything we needed, at no additional charge. They started with a great safety overview and then off we went. My boyfriend and I were on two separate snowmobiles and even though I am the most nervous nelly ever, after a couple minutes, I felt completely comfortable and started picking up some speed. Brian was great and stopped periodically to point out moose tracks and let us take in the beautiful views and quickly take pictures. Unfortunately, my boyfriend picked up confidence quickly and towards the end of the tour, got a little too aggressive, took a turn way wider than he should have, and ended up with his snowmobile in snow that was too deep. Since he was the last one in the track, it took a couple of minutes for anyone to realize, but they quickly did and I have to say, Brian and crew couldn't have handled it better. They had us pull over to the side while Brian went to find him. Luckily he and the snowmobile were completely fine, and aside from my hyperventilating, it was a pretty quick blip in the experience.

A couple of things to note about the tour....

- Bring a camera! I kept mine under my coat and took it out when we stopped to snap a couple of pictures.

- You can keep any belongings in their trailer. I wouldn't recommend leaving anything super valuable there (just bc I'm a worry wart), but shoes or whatever else you might have will be totally fine.

- No need for sunglasses - they'll give you goggles.

- Be sure to bring cash for a tip! They recommend 20%, although we gave more because of my boyfriend's irresponsible-ness and how great they were at handling it :)

- They have porta-potties at the trailer and at the yurt where you stop towards the end of the tour. I'd recommend trying to take care of business before the tour, but if the need arises, they have facilities.

We will 100% be back the next time we're in Vail and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this company to any friends.

1  Thank Marisa K
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had never snowmobiled before, and I am sooooo glad I went with Vail Valley. Our tour guide, Gregg (two G's please!), was amazing. Before we went out he substituted our inappropriate gear for heavier garments, such as boots and coats. And I am so glad he did because I would have been freezing otherwise.

The ride up the mountain was a thrill for me, but one of my friends really struggled, going about 2 miles an hour, and Gregg was so patient with her. We would ride and wait for her to catch up and we rarely let her get out of our site. He really took care of us.

At the top of the mountain there is a flat area where you can ride the snowmobile around a preset loop already flattened by other snowmobiles. You'll also get hot beverages and cookies inside the yurt (a nice hut). My two companions also took part in some hot lasagna.

If I lived in a cold weather climate where owning a snowmobile made sense, I would buy one. That's just how much I loved this experience. We did the 2-hour ride, but next time I'll be doing the 3-hour ride. And I'll be doing it with Gregg!

1  Thank CJFunny
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We came to Vail from Australia planning to mainly ski, but we decided that as a result of the warm temperatures and beautiful weather for January that we would try out snowmobiling. We did the 2 hour afternoon tour consisting of self paced snowmobiling that for us was nice and fast. Our guide was perfect, he took us on a variety of trails ranging from groomed snow covered roads to the off piste tree lined designated snow mobile tracks. There was approx ten peole on our tour and by the end of the tour I would say the ten amatuer drivers where now more comfortable and relaxed behind the handlebars of the mobile due to the calming and informative nature of our guide. The tour was topped off with a break at the top of one of the ridges surrounded by amazing views followed by a stop at a little snow hut where complimentary snacks and hot drinks where provided. I would recommend this tour to anyone and everyone looking for a good time snowmobiling in a picturesque location at a good price, would deffinately do it again A++

1  Thank Keato_bib