“If you like sushi....go to Matsuhisa”
Review of Matsuhisa Vail

Matsuhisa Vail
Reserve with OpenTable
Matsuhisa Vail is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 123 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Newport Beach, California
“If you like sushi....go to Matsuhisa”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have eaten here a few times- and it is always amazing. Our favorite items are the yellowtail jalepeno sashimi, tempura jumbo crab claws, and spicy tuna on crispy rice. I think this is even better than some of the Nobu's I have visited in Dallas or NYC (and those places are good- but this somehow tastes even more fresh!). If you like sushi- you should definitely go here.

Visited April 2013

Grand Island, Nebraska
“Oh my, Omakase!”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I liked this restaurant version very much. It's incredibly spacious with what must be a 35 foot ceiling and picture windows with views of the slopes to match. The place can thus be crowded but without an overwhelming din. Service is attentive and very knowledgeable. I had a sake vertical that was a great food accompaniment. I opted for the lux version of the Omakase dinner. It's pricey at 175 but the quality of the food was superb. I particularly liked dishes of baby abalone, Tasmanian salmon, butter-poached lobster with enoki mushrooms, and the Wagyu beef with foie gras. See pictures. The clientele is international, but it is an environment suited just as well to families. Join the fun.

• Visited April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Outstanding!!!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

A great expierience!!! While it was a pain to get a reservation, we had no problems going to sit and eat at the bar. The food and drinks were amaizing. I would highly recommend the lemon drop drink if your looking for a lighter alcoholic drink that will go down easy after being dehydrated all day from skiing. The uni shot is a must have if your looking for something unique and different. Other dishes of note were the king crab tempura and the miso cod. Definitely an awesome restaurant!

2 Thank DHChicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible management and attitude issue”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Every time we visited Vail,which we belonged to one of ski club in Vail, so we came almost every weekend and we made sure to dine at least one time here. So we dined here lots of time ever since they opened business. Last visit was really unpleasant. My mum wanted to pay dinner bill and she wanted to add 20% tips to the bill so we asked to waiter to add 20% tips so when he brought us bill and her credit card back, tips was already paid. However, next day my mum found out they double tipped. They put on extra 18% on top of already paid amount which tips was already included . We went back to restaurant and talked to manager and he said, "oh , because we have so big bill quite often, we made sure to put extra 18% of pending authorization automatically. so the pending will be disappeared overnight ." He never apologized. Ha,? I never heard that system. We've dined more expensive restaurant than here but never heard those. But he was so confidently bragging about how much his restaurant has huge bill so we went back. However, one week later my mum found out from her credit card statement, she was charged with that amount which manager was so confidently said, they never double tipped and the amount would be adjusted, but turned out they charged twice tips(almost 40%of tips )
We went back to manager and he wanted to proof that they charged double and promised to refund as long as we have proof. We gave her credit card statement but now he insisted as this below

" I just put a call into my bank about charges. They told me that the difference could be international currency exchange and cost of using international credit card usage fees. Is that at all possible.
Anthony"

Does it make sense to anyone? What kind of bank charge 18%for using international credit card. Hello? No other restaurant did in Vail?

We were loyal and regular customers but still they do treat us like this. Then he never reply ever since. Don't dine here unless you spend over $5000 on the table. The manager was bragging about how he is busy with huge bills etc. They probably don't appreciate you. Food was great but they don't appreciate your money. They are getting so snob. There are plenty of restaurant in Vail who appreciate your business and treat you with their hearts.

1 Thank Kmc0130
Bethany, CT
“Food adequate, service poor”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've been to Matsuhisa five separate times and feel like I've experienced enough of it to justify my review. Let me start out by saying that I've eaten at Nobu in NYC and matsuhisa in Aspen and loved my experience at both places. My experience at Matsuhisa pales in comparison. During the initial ramp up, there were a lot of inconsistencies in the quality of the food, particularly of the sushi which I attributed to the newness of the restaurant. That being said, it didn't stop the staff from creating an air of snobbiness and all-knowingness despite a very limited sushi selection. I was "taught" when I ordered hirame that it is halibut, not fluke in the US, though this has been correctly changed to fluke on my most recent visit last month. Not what I expected at a Nobu affiliate. The quality of the sushi has always been adequate, but not superb, as I would have expected at a restaurant of this caliber and reputation. I don't mind small portions as long as the fish is exquisite, which I would not characterize the sushi here. The best bet, I have found is the omakase, which tends to ensure the freshest fish.

My biggest issue, however has been with the attitude/service. Throughout its time from opening to last month, I think they have embraced the "hottest seat in town" attitude rather than trying to ensure a pleasant, friendly, customer-oriented experience. The Nobu in NYC is filled with celebs, but the staff go out of their way to make sure you feel like one too. In vail matsuhisa, the opposite is true - you will get average to poor service unless you are perceived as a celeb, and by the way, be patient as the food takes quite a long time to come out.

My last and what will be my final visit consisted of a group of eight of us celebrating three birthdays. We all ordered omakase other than the three who were celebrating a birthday, who wanted the grand omakase. Our server first agreed, but halfway through taking our orders, "remembered" it would't be possible and that the whole table of eight would have to order the same omakase level as it would be too confusing to the chef serving family style. We offered to move seating to assist but were told no. I was relieved to see the manager come over, as I though he would resolve the situation, but he instead escalated it, refusing to relent, and arguing further the difficulty. After arguing with us for several minutes and ensuring we were maximally agitated, he finally agreed to the split omakase, but rest of the party was so embarrassed that they said they would take the grand omakase as well. We spent well over $4000.00 that evening and other than an offer for a free drink, the manager didn't even send over anything for the three birthdays. He did come over multiple times to make sure we were enjoying our meal with an "I told you so" attitude when we said the food was good.

Overall, my wife, who has eaten at multiple michelin starred restaurants, has decreed that she will never return, and the concierge at our hotel has said that she has heard of several other issues from other guests and that all of the sushi restaurants in vail source their fish from the same purveyor. She suggested Yama instead, which I went to this week. The food was essentialy equivalent and the service was much better: the staff was friendlier, much more helpful and quicker.

• Visited February 2013