“Perfect Getaway!”

The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort
Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Vail
“Perfect Getaway!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Beautiful property. I traveled in late September/early October. The aspens were a gorgeous yellow when I arrived and a golden orange before I left. Great hiking right of the Lodges front door. Loved having a balcony over the street. We attended the Vail Criterium (bike race). Great event and we could watch the entire race from our balcony. Beautiful appliances from dish washer, microwave, store, and fridge in room. Internet was fast in the business center too. Loved having the outdoor heated pool plus hot tub. Felt great even though the highs never got outside the 50s. Great summer rates on restaurants before ski slopes opened.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank indy21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Our stay at The Ledge at Vail was pretty good. The best part was Brad, one of the valets. Initially we were given a room that had a king bed, nice room, pretty balcony outside...wait, what? The balcony belonged to another room and was directly outside our entire window. Odd, I thought. When I asked about that, they acknowledged that indeed it belonged to another room. Fortunately, they were able to switch us to another room, although it had two queen beds. Still that was better than the opportunity to share someone's balcony fiesta overnight! They asked us if we wanted particular newspapers when we checked in but we never got any of them. Other than that, everything was clean, great water pressure in the shower, nice comforters on the beds (instead of the dreaded polyester bedspreads), mini-fridges and humidifiers in the rooms, they had Starbucks coffee every morning and the location was good. I used the business center daily and it was not crowded and functioned perfectly.
Brad, as mentioned, went above and beyond to help us out; shuttling us around, picking us up when we were lost at the Gerald Ford Amphitheatre, giving us directions, information and recommendations. We did not eat in any of the restaurants.
All in all, it was a really good stay and I would recommend, as long as you are sure you have your OWN balcony!

Room Tip: see above about checking your balcony before committing to the room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank erika w
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I WAS planning to write a stellar review of this place, because all the people working there were just so nice! But then I got home, unpacked, and realized some clothes were missing. (I then recalled having thrown a few things in a drawer one day as I ran out, so I wouldn't leave a mess for housekeeping.) Well, after calling the Lodge daily to see if my items had been found, I was practically hung up on by Elena, who acted horrified that I would "jump to conclusions" about the housekeeping staff. I know the rule: always check drawers when you leave a hotel. I normally do, but I'd been so busy working on this trip that I never took the time to unpack my things into drawers.
Yes, the room was stuffy and hot, the pillows ruined my neck, and the reusable water bottles had lids screwed on so tightly that only the Incredible Hulk could open them...but I can forgive those things. Having clothing stolen is another matter - and the treatment I received when following up on this matter is something I won't soon forget. I highly recommend customer service lessons for Elena; her nasty attitude toward me when I expressed my concerns was inexcusable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Debra N
LAV81657, General Manager at The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I apologize that you left some clothes behind at the hotel and it took us a little longer than expected to find them for you. We have a good lost and found system set up at the hotel but at times the sheer volume of items left behind by guests delays the recovery of items. My understanding is that the clothes were found on September 28th and they have been sent back to you at no additional cost. I am glad you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and hope you will visit the Lodge at Vail again in the future.

Regards

Stephan Nicolas
General Manager - The Lodge at Vail
Austin
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The most upsetting part of this review is that I very much wanted to give the Lodge at Vail a high rating. In fact, I had a wonderful time there and would normally have great things to say about the resort itself, until we discuss their care of customers during a time of adversity. We visited the Lodge for a quick weekend winter getaway in December of 2011 and were traveling with our 8 month old son.

I am rating this resort so low is because the valet damaged my car and the resort refused to take care of the bill. I have been stuck with a $350 bill for a dented rear bumper on the Tahoe I had rented for the weekend. When I left the resort I made the mistake of not inspecting my vehicle fully before leaving and therefore they will not cover the damages. The frustrating thing is, on the morning of our departure, I had my hands full with my baby and was eager to get him into the warm car, as well as myself. The valet was nice enough to have it "ready to go" as soon as I got down there and helped with loading the stroller for me, etc. As soon as he was strapped into his car seat I did what anyone would normally do and fumbled for the tip in the cold weather, said my goodbyes and jumped into the warm car. I am not used to having to worry about inspecting valet cars (as I travel a ton for work and use valet all the time)- but I have learned my lesson. I drove straight from the Lodge to the airport and upon my arrival was made aware of the damage by the rental car company. I immediately called the Lodge and spoke with management who gave me a false sense of security that things would be taken care of...9 months later I found out that is NOT the case.

I would be more than happy to give you specifics (should you want them) but I can say this- I was extremely diligent in being CERTAIN that this damage did not happen while the car was under my care. I explained all of this information to the Lodge management and they just do not care. They decided to hide behind their "legal/insurance obligations" and refuse to take care of their customer. At the end of the day, the $350 is NOTHING compared to the time I spent going back and forth with their management- it has always been WAY more about the PRINCIPLE of the matter rather than the money. The fact is, one of their employees damaged my rental car and didn't take accountability for it. I am extremely upset by that.

Should you decide to stay here (and use valet) you will likely be happy to know that they NOW check cars upon check-in/check-out but those records are CONVENIENTLY unavailable for my visit.

You have a lot of great options when staying in Vail, why not stay somewhere that has a better record of taking care of their customers?

Room Tip: Fully inspect your vehicle if using valet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bmck21
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at The Lodge at Vail over Labor Day weekend. The hotel is very nice and has many positive qualities, but had some downsides as well. The hotel staff was exceptionally friendly, courteous, and helpful. From the time we stopped at the front door until the time we headed home the staff attended to our every need. The Valets were exceptionally helpful and it was great to see them not only take care of us, but also our vehicle and bikes. Room service was very good and the staff confirmed our order and also called to verify if we wanted some extras or if it was just an oversight on my part. Going the extra mile with their Customer Service. It's right at the base of the mountain and right next to the village. walking distance from great food and if you're skiing, it's easy to get out to the mountain.

The downsides, one of the managers couldn't seem to be bothered with helping us get checked in while the receptionist took care of another patron; I guess he was just above helping a customer. Also, the less expensive rooms don't have AC; if you want AC in your room, that will cost you another $50+ a night.

Room Tip: During the summer, consider the upgrade.
1 Thank Rick K
LAV81657, General Manager at The Lodge at Vail, A RockResort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your visit to the Lodge at Vail. I am very happy to hear that the staff exceeded your expectations and provided personalized service during your visit. We strive to make everyone's visit at the hotel exceptional by going the extra mile during every interaction. I am very sorry to hear about your check in experience and I will look into this persoannly to ensure this type of issue does not happen again.

We look forward to your next visit to The Lodge at Vail. The new 10 person Vail Village Gondola has its debut this November 16th...I hope you will come back to enjoy this amazing new amenity this winter.

Regards

Stephan Nicolas
General Manager - The Lodge at Vail
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Being a Colorado native, I have stayed at numerous resorts trying to figure out the best location for fall viewings of the aspens. I've been to Beaver Creek, Keystone, Aspen, Breckenridge, and Vail... have been to The Lodge at Vail for the past 3 years and my search is over. Laying in your deluxe lodge room your entire wall of windows are beautiful fall aspens. Just steps from your room you are in the center of Vail Village, steps from incredible dining and shopping. After valeting your car, the need to drive is over,, staff is very accomodating and friendly, rooms are spotless and nicely finished, beds are comfortable and sheets seem brand new each time. We will come here each year forever!

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view
2 Thank Molliesellsdenver
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We booked our room through priceline's bidding section for a 4 star hotel in vail for $100/night. Once we found out we were staying at the Lodge, we read the reviews on this website and were a little disappointed to see there were many negative comments. Since we couldn't change the reservation, we just decided to go into it with lower expectations and make the best of it.

When we actually arrived we were really surprised by how nice the hotel was. The location could not have been better, it was right in the heart of vail village. The guys at valet were very friendly and informed us that we could park in a public lot for free which was only a 4 minute walk from the hotel... We decided to do this to save money and it was very convenient, less than a four minute walk through the beautiful village. The guy at the front desk was very nice and helpful as well.
We were really happy with our room (259). We were expecting to be placed in their smallest room since we booked through priceline, but we ended up in a studio room which was actually pretty spacious. The room did have a murphy bed which wasn't the most comfortable, but we felt it was a great trade all in all since the room had a kitchen. There was also a nice balcony which overlooked the pool, the only downside was that it was a shared balcony with two rooms on either side of us. It was sometimes a little awkward to try to eat a meal on the balcony with someone sitting two feet away. Also, as other reviewers have mentioned many rooms are not air conditioned and we were unable to leave the door/windows open due to the fact that we had a shared balcony.

The room was definitely old and as others have mentioned the decor was very dated. It was comfortable though, and we were really grateful to have the kitchen, we were there for 7 nights so it was really nice to be able to do some light cooking. The room was clean for the most part, and housekeeping was awesome, they always kept us with a nice stock of towels and toiletries. Also, there is a nice turndown service with really delicious chocolates. The worst part of the room in my opinion was the fact that the carpets/rugs/couch appeared really dirty. The rugs were worn and just looked like they needed to be replaced. It wasn't really that big of a deal, I just wore shoes when I walked around the room, but it was gross. Also, the couch and throw pillows looked a little nasty. Again, we were able to deal with it with no problem, we just asked for some extra blankets and we covered the couch (honestly, I would have done that regardless of what it looked like).

In all, we felt like we got an excellent deal, we were really pleased with our experience. However, I don't think we would have felt this way if we had paid the price the hotel was asking directly on their site (over $20). While priceline categorized this hotel as 4 star, I noticed that they are no longer designated as such by AAA. I would say that this hotel provided 4 star service and had many 4 star features (including the awesome fitness center, yoga studio, spa, restaurants, etc.) However, many of the rooms are so dated and are just not what you would expect to find in a 4 star property. If you are looking for a hotel where you can be wowed with 4 star luxury, then this is probably not a great choice for you. If you are looking for a comfortable hotel in an excellent location with friendly staff and you are willing to deal with the fact that the property is a little dated, then this is great.

2 Thank McMae0409