“Beautiful apartment, but like sleeping on the highway”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Solaris Residences

Solaris Residences
Ranked #9 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Vail
New York
“Beautiful apartment, but like sleeping on the highway”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

After one night in unit 5c west at the Solaris, a two bedroom with a den, no one in my family was able to sleep. First the heat malfunctioned and the entire condo was 82 degrees. After two calls and an hour someone came and replaced a faulty valve. We finally went to bed where we were kept up the entire night by the sound of the highway just outside our windows. Literally trucks screaming by all night, On the bright side, the apartment is very nice, the kitchen big and very functional. The place seems very nice, but the noise of the trucks is literally unbearable. We live on a busy street in New York, but this is far worse. I called the desk and they will try to move us, but say it is unlikely that they will be able to. So for the amount of money, several thousand dollars a night, i would not stay here again unless i was on the mountain side of the property.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay on the highway side of this hotel. It is literally like sleeping at a roadside motel on...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank decarts
Bill M, General Manager at Solaris Residences, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear decarts,

It appears that this review was posted just after your first night with us, as you were upgraded to a “Premium” mountain facing two bedroom + den residence the next day. I hope this, and the other efforts that were made to provide you with the finest possible guest experience were to your satisfaction, so we will have the pleasure of having you as our guest again soon.

William C. Marshall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We've been coming to Vail for the past 40 years, we've always stayed at Lionshead, staying in Vail Village is a whole new experience, the restaurants and everything are a minute walk. The Solaris residences are very spacious, first quality accommodations and service. More than a 5 star rating property. Well worth the price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lizette S,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Solaris. It always delights me when we receive such wonderful compliments from Vail veterans, and we are thrilled that you took a chance on a new place to stay. I am also glad that our location, accommodations and service exceeded your expectations; I hope you have found your new favorite place to stay in Vail!

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Despite being very frequent travelers, I have not submitted many reviews on Tripadvisor regrettably due to my own laziness. This stay at Solaris, however, really is a "must share" for me. First of all, the personal assistance service was just impeccable. I had to arrange this trip for a group of 8 (somewhat difficult) people and this service eased me through the painful process. All I needed to do was to lift my fingers and type the e-mails. Bill Marshall, the GM, even took times to answer some of my e-mails himself. That was incredible. The response time was so quick too considering the 14-hour time difference between Bangkok and Vail ! The airport transfers, recommendations and reservations on restaurants, bookings for private session with instructor, and etc. Everything was just so perfect. Our 4-bedroom residence that we stayed in was just amazing it made us wanted to skip at least a day of skiing to just hang out. The view, the room setup, temperature control, and the amenities. The unit was so new, clean and very modern in every way. The housekeeping team (a group of 3 people, if I remember correctly) was great. I was there one time when they were cleaning the unit and was intrigued and amazed by how detailed they were. The unit was spotless after their works. Since not all 8 of us left the unit at the same time, It was so convenient too that they only came to clean the unit upon our requests. The location is also perfect, not too close to the slopes (peace and quiet) and not too far neither. The valet service Solaris has with Bridge Street Ski Haus (25% discount to Solaris guests) makes it so convenient as it is right by the Gondola so we never had to carry our boots nor equipment around. All in all, it was just a perfect stay. Despite a very long travel from Bangkok, all of 8 of us have vowed to make the trip to Solaris and Vail an annual thing for us !

Room Tip: If possible, stay on the East side. The elevators on that side do go all the way down to both Matsuh...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear PoomNing,

I would like to thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us. We aim to bring luxury and ease into every area of our guests’ stays: From the moment you reserve your room to the time of checkout, it is our objective to make your experience comfortable and seamless. Our Personal Assistant program is just one of the services we believe sets us apart from other luxury resorts, and we are glad that you enjoyed it. I'm also pleased that your group took advantage of our ski valet service, offering the convenience of a ski-in/ski-out property. We're very much looking forward to hosting you again next year; a return guest is the best kind of compliment.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

The Solaris Residences are nothing short of amazing! I was guided to my room by a very eager and attentive man who showed us a jaw dropping 4 bedroom apartment. As soon as we entered, he touched a panel to turn the lights on. This was no ordinary light switch, this was home automation done the way its supposed to be. It all just worked. He clicked on "We're Home" and like magic, the lights warmly turned on and greeted us to a first class residence. After passing by the remotely lit fireplace, I went straight for the oversize balcony to check out the breathtaking view of Vail Mountain and Vail Village. If my tour stopped there I would have been happy, but the rest of this place and property never disappointed. The bedrooms are oversized with bedding that is of extremely high quality. The many bathrooms (each bedroom had their own) were equally impressive, the master even had a hydrotherapy tub. There is ample closet space. The kitchen is fully stocked and up to gourmet standards with high end appliances like SubZero. This residence even had a den. In total it could sleep 10 comfortably.
There are also multiple restaurants right in Vail Village to choose from of all varying prices and tastes, all within walking distance. I could go on and on about this property, I haven't even mentioned the gym, spa, personal attendant, bend over backwards staff, or immaculate housekeeping service!

While I enjoyed skiing in the area, I personally enjoyed coming back each day to my private mountain retreat. Not once did I ever feel like I was staying at a hotel but a home...a home I would want to call my own.

I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain and village view!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adam P
Bill M, General Manager at Solaris Residences, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Adam P,

Thank you for your enthusiastic review of Solaris! I am thrilled that you felt at home in your residence, and that Solaris' location in the center of Vail, the service you encountered and the many Solaris amenities were all to your liking. Some of the best compliments we could receive are that you enjoyed your stay as much as the skiing, and that you’ll return as our guest again. We look forward to your next visit!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Solaris on our Wedding night. The following morning, we met the manager, Bill Marshall. During our discussion, Mr. Marshall offered us a First Anniversary Gift; he offered to host us back at the Solaris for the weekend of our First Anniversary--ON THE HOUSE. We gladly accepted his hospitality and returned a year later to celebrate our anniversary.

When we arrived to begin the anniversary celebration, the Solaris provided us with a 2 bedroom suite to spend the weekend. The amenities could not have been better. We also dined that evening at the Solaris' Japanese Restaurant--Matsuhisha. Given that it was our anniversary, we elected to go with the Omakase Menu--a selection of the Chef's favorites. We highly recommend it (especially with a bottle of Donnhoff GG Riesling)!

All told, we cannot thank the staff at the Solaris enough. The weekend was better than we could have ever expected. This is a world-class resort in a world-class city. We will certainly be back to spend our second anniversary.

-James B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bartonj610
Bill M, General Manager at Solaris Residences, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hi James,

I'm so happy you enjoyed your return anniversary visit to Solaris! We were honored to have you as our guests on your wedding night, and honored to have you back. I'm pleased you were able to enjoy dinner at Matsuhisa on this trip as well – the Omakase Menu is not to be missed! We look forward to having you back next year, and hopefully for years to come.

George Town, Grand Cayman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Solaris Residences is truly a sight to behold. It is a modern gem set in Vail's faux Bavarian main village and is sure to delight discerning travellers for years to come. The bellman Joseph P. Kinney greeted me with a smile as I arrived on the drive and was there to provide many tidbits of useful information throughout our trip. The girls at the front desk were also a delight to be around! Professional and helpful, they were very knowledgable about the area and all of them were beautiful to boot! Also, when an unexpected lightbulb went out in the bathroom of our luxe penthouse, the engineers were there in a flash to remedy our menial problem. These gents were well-trained and exhibited a bedside manner akin to top physicians at the Mayo Clinic. A tip of the hat must also be given to the managers Bill, Jeff and Ligia. They went out of their respective ways to introduce themselves and offer that special touch that only fine hoteliers exhibit. Vail does not have a rival for Solaris. We're talking a Chateau Marmont/Waldorf Astoria caliber property here people! I will definately be choosing the Solaris Residences for any future visit to Vail. FIVE STARS!

Room Tip: I hear Penthouse A is the finest property in all of Vail-maybe even all of Colorado!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John P
Bill M, General Manager at Solaris Residences, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear John P,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Solaris. I'm pleased to hear that you found Solaris' service and accommodations to be "five-star," and will share your compliments with Joseph, Jeff and Ligia directly. We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Vail.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

This place is simply amazing. Upon arriving to our room and opening the door to our two bedroom penthouse I felt like I just stepped into a booking.com commercial, only I didn't you booking.com. The room was that great. We had a great view of the Vail Village and mountain beyond. Everything on their website is as advertised, so I won't go on and on about those things. However, I will say that the service exceeded my expectations. I had a very specific request that no other property in Vail could accommodate. The staff at Solaris said no problem and made it happen. I would like to give a very special thank you to Courtney, Elyse and Justin, you guys rock! As someone that has traveled all over the world, I would have to say that this is my favorite property from a location, quality and service standpoint. I'm already planning our return in two months.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kbiddy
Dear Kbiddy,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent visit. I'm so pleased that your accommodations and the level of service your experienced at Solaris exceeded your expectations, and will personally share your compliments with Courtney, Elyse and Justin. We're very much looking forward to having you back this fall.