“Razrs tours and raftiing”

Sage Outdoor Adventures
Ranked #1 of 20 Tours in Vail
More attraction details
Owner description: Year round guide service, year round smiles. Exclusive Snowmobile, Side X Side ATV, & Horseback riding terrain, World Class Whitewater Rafting,Cast and Blast fishing trips will knock the socks off any sportsman, and one of the USA's top Sporting Clays course.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We highly reccomend the rzor tours and rafting by Sage Outdoor adventures. Darell and his staff are very personal and professional. The guides are very propfessional as well. Our family will aalwys remember these two activities in ourbvacations as some of the best.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,200)

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I wanted to take an ATV tour of some Colorado backcountry during our recent trip to Vail, CO. My wife was skittish about riding or being a passenger on a "traditional" ATV, and I found this alternative on TripAdvisor. Because we wanted to book "the morning of" our ride, we couldn't book on their website. Although I received a busy signal several times, I kept calling their number and eventually got through. (Note to Sage Outdoor -- get more phone lines!)

Once I got through, Casey (or K.C.?) was very helpful. She quickly booked us for an afternoon tour, took down a credit card number, and gave us detailed and excellent directions to the ranch where Sage operates this tour.

The drive was about 30-40 minutes and the directions got us there on-time and without stress. After completing waivers and getting fitted for helmets and goggles, we got into the RZRs -- which are basically side-by-side ATVs. Think of them as being like "minature jeeps" or "little dune buggies." After some brief and easy-to-follow instruction from Dane, our articulate and enthusiastic guide, we played "follow the leader" and four RZRs headed up into the mountains.

We stopped along the way several times and Dane got out to provide interesting mini-lectures about local flora and fauna. He was very knowledgeable and very safety oriented.

We drove up to about 10,000 feet, easily bouncing and grinding along a rough trail that no car or regular 4x4 could likely easily climb. We stopped once for water and short hike to look over a 2,000+ foot overlook (from about 9,400 feet in altitude). The views were amazing and we got in our "fix" to see beautiful wildlife, aspen groves, and scenic mountain vistas.

WARNING: you WILL get very dirty on this trip, so don't wear ANYTHING that you plan on wearing again on your vacation.

Although our children weren't with us on this trip, I think they'd have loved it. There was a family of four in the RZR behind us. The kids (a boy and girl, between 8 and 11) had huge grins on their face, despite being in the backseat.

All in all, this trip was great fun, allowed us to enjoy some beautiful backcountry, and was a great value. I'd do this again in a heartbeat!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had the best time on the 1/2 day Browns Canyon rafting trip. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking. The tour company is extremely professional and safety is number 1. All of the rafting gear that we used was in excellent condition. The guides were experienced and very knowledgeable. Aaron, our guide, made our trip very enjoyable. Even with a few 'swimmers' during the course of the trip, he made sure everyone was safe and well taken care of. Of all the things that we did on our trip to Vail and the surrounding areas, our family voted that this was the best trip of the vacation! Next time we go a waterproof camera is a MUST!!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

My family and I booked a 2-1/2 hour RZR tour with Sage during our vacation to Avon on 7/18. We met at their ranch north of Wolcott and signed the typical waivers, and then got fitted for helmets and goggles. I wear contacts myself, and can vouch for the importance of the goggles -- if it's dry, you will likely eat a lot of dust. I wouldn't let this deter you, but make sure you dress appropriately.

The RZR's are impressive machines, and are fun to drive. I was surprized at the rough terrain that you could drive right over and still have a pretty smooth ride. I had a very sore back-side from a horse riding incident two day's prior, but was still able to ride OK.

You follow a guide around and up some steep trails until you reach viewpoints with great views. We neglected to charge the battery in our camera for the tour, which left us very dissappointed. There may also be wildlife visible, although we missed the bear that an earlier tour had seen.

At one point, we made a stop for a snack and to do a short hike to a cliffy overlook. On the way back to the RZR's, my 16 year-old step-son took a bad step on a rock and sprained his ankle. Our guide Robbie(?) gladly gave him a piggy-back ride back to the vehicles. Also, during this stop my daughter forgot to remove her glasses before taking off her helmet, which caused her to lose both nose pieces somewhere next to the RZR. Robbie was able to find
both for her, which saved us the considerable headache of getting those replaced while on vacation.

We had a good experience with Sage on this outing, and enjoyed their services during a rafting trip two years ago. I expect we will be contacting them again during future vacations to the Vail area.

1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We drove from Avon to their rafting company in Twin Lakes. The drive took about 1 hour & 15 minutes. I'm sure it would have been a lot shorter if part of route 24 had not just been closed. The drive there was still beautiful. They are between mile marker 193 & 194 on route 24(on the right coming from vail area). Here you sign the required paper work, pay and collect your gear. Then there is a short bus ride down to the river. On the bus ride they go over the safety & use of equipment in the river. At the river they go over these things again in greater detail with the group you will raft with. Danni is a great guide, very patient. The guides we were with, watched out for their raft, but also watched out for the other rafts in the group. Danni was knowledgeable, commanding, and jovial all at the proper times during the rafting experience. The trip has very beautiful scenery. About half way down you stop for lunch(sandwiches, chips, & cookies). There are few spots along the way you can jump in the water if you wish.(with the guides permission of course.) I not only recommend them,... I plan to use them next time I return to Colorado, especially if i have one of my nieces or fiancee with me.

1  Thank ez2sa2