“Worth the drive east.”
Review of Alpine Tavern - CLOSED

Alpine Tavern
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Bighorn Road
Transit: East Vail Bus (Blue Line. Bus stop is "Racquet Club")
Potomac, MD
“Worth the drive east.”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Traditional wiener schnitzel with lots of lemon has always been my favorite food. I loved Alpine Tavern’s schnitzel ($25)! The other meals that we ordered, Elk Colorado ($33) and Caesar salad with grilled salmon ($16), were excellent. Portions were a nice size. Our server, Kate, was lovely and attentive. I highly recommend this restaurant and believe that it is worth the drive to dine here. The restaurant has a parking lot... a rare commodity in Vail.

Phila Metro Area
“A pleasant surprise -Great food”
Reviewed March 26, 2011

In March we stayed at the Vail Racquet Club and went to the Alpine Tavern for convenience. We were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and food - especially for the price. the restaurant is well appointed, clean, nice tableclothes and linen and glassware. The meal was so good (fresh and favorful) that we went back again 2 days later and made sure we saved room for the desert. The host was very personable and professional. He really made us feel that he valued us as patrons. (My only disappointment was the waiter on our second visit was not attentive - even though it was early and not crowded. He made errors in my take out order and I was too tired to take it back once I got to the room. Bar the encounter with him, it's my favorite restaurant in the Colorado ski area!)

Washington DC area
“Nice atmosphere but disappointing food”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Based on Trip Advisor reviews, we decided to try the Alpine Tavern. We have eaten in many of Vail's best restaurants but this was one we were not familiar with. We were in the main dining room and were seated at a nice table. The atmosphere was intimate and conducive to conversation, and the service was friendly. However, the food was very disappointing. A couple of the reviewers mentioned the duck and I love duck so I ordered that. The sides were wonderful, but the duck itself was overcooked and dry. My husband ordered the Jaeger Schnitzel. The mushroom sauce was very good, but the meat itself was over-tenderized and appeared to be an inferior cut of veal. We started with a special, the mushroom soup, which was good but a bit too rich. My other complaint concerns the wine service. There is apparently no sommelier and the wait staff was not very knowledgeable. We ordered a California Pinot Noir which I had not tried before but I had heard of the winery. I am very familiar with the different styles of Pinot Noir and a sommelier could no doubt have told me that this was a very high alcohol, heavily extrated style of Pinot Noir, a style I do not like. The wine was not bad, and some people prefer this style, but I would have appreciated a sommelier who could have steered us to a preferable bottle. I was also surprised that a restaurant which advertises itself as German/Austrian did not have wines from those countries on their wine list. In short, the restaurant tries hard to please but for German/Austrian food next time we'll return to Pepi's or to Alpenrose.

1 Thank OnLineBargainHunter
Melbourne, Australia
“Mature bar scene at the Racquet Club, Vail”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This tavern is attached to the Vail Racquet Club in East Vail.
Small bar with great atmosphere and quiet live music, suited for over 30's.

Staff are cheerful and efficient. Bar is located upstairs from the restaurant. Great meeting place and good variety of tap beers. Bar food is great and you can get a burger with salad and curly fries plus a beer for 10 bucks. To me that is cheap. We often meet there on Fridays, for a few hours to listen to the guitar/singer. Audio is background level and not intrusive when you are chatting to your mates. Great place.

Don't just read these reviews. Participate by doing your won reviews.

colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice people!”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The Alpine Tavern is a new restaurant in the Racquet Club in East Vail. A few of us decided to check it out. The food was fabulous!! Everything is homemade. The duck was absolutely to die for. The prices are great and it's a really nice dining room. There is a great bar area upstairs. I will definitely keep that area in mind for a private party!