“Wonderful stay”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Vail
north carolina
“Wonderful stay”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Four Seasons and loved it! Our room was great, the bathroom huge and the staff top notch. We ate at Flame restaurant. They have a delicious breakfast and gourmet dinner. The staff is knowledgeable and are so helpful. Baxter was a personable bartender in Fireside and we rode in the ski shuttle a lot with Rob who was always polite and at our beck and call. The spa is a perfect respite after a day of skiing. Top notch hotel! We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mumiller1
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at our Resort and dining at Flame Restaurant. I will acknowledge Baxter and Rob for a job well done.

Please come back soon!
Jim Guttau,
Director of Public Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were a little bit disappointed having stayed in many other four seasons resorts.

Pros:
big rooms with comfortable bed, fireplace and nice bathroom - what you would expect from a four seasons. Mercedes GL rental for free!! We were able to explore the area around vail/beaver creek in one of the hotel cars. What a great offer we loved it.

Cons:
In terms of atmosphere and design ít felt like the owners just invested what they needed to call it a four seasons (great/comfortable bed, marble bathroom, fireplace etc.)
The public spaces had little charm, leaving the bar and restaurant mostly empty when we were there. No flower decorations. It always felt like something was missing.

The SPA was already closed at 18:00. The Spa attendant told us that its "off-season", thats why they close earlier. Disappointed we went to the outdoor pool and jacuzzi, which - lucky us - was still open! But - no one there to give us fresh towels or serve us drinks.

Would have loved to see the place in winter but I wouldnt come back after that experience. We were simply "left alone" in an "empty hotel" at that time. Just not comparable to other four seasons.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Patrick K
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Greetings, I'm glad to hear you visited us during summer--a beautiful time in Vail Valley. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed using our complimentary Mercedes SUVs.

During peak season (winter), our spa does stay open later, but during off season, it does close earlier. We offer summer pool service during the days--offering poolside grill, cocktails, etc.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Despite our late night (early monday morning, really) arrival, the woman at the front desk was chipper and eager to help us get settled. Her attitude was refreshing following a long trip filled with delays and indifferent rude airline employees. She took the time to bring us water, and even asked about our plans giving us a chance to learn the ski rental process. We went to bed with a game plan for the morning, for the first time feeling like we were on holiday.

Pros: Elegant building, rooms well appointed and impeccably clean. Staff in the ski valet building and spa treated us wonderfully.

A major disappointment was the attitude at front desk, very cold and unhelpful on two occasions that really damaged my opinion of this hotel. First were two women who continued their conversation rather than greeting us, seeming annoyed by our presence when we approached them with questions.

In the early morning hours of our second night I phoned room service for water and pain medication. I was told I would have to come down to the front desk to get it myself. Before I could respond she said "ok thank you!" and hung up on me!

To be treated in such a rude manner is simply unacceptable, especially when The Four Seasons name and cost promises world class service. Having stayed at many Four Seasons we always expect consistent high quality service and that was not the case here. We would most likely not return to this hotel, such a shame really because there were some very nice aspects.

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank ebskimom
FourSeasonsColorado, Front Office Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks for your recent stay and compliments on the room, Ski Concierge staff and Spa team.

I would like to discuss the remainder of your stay with you further. Please call me at 970-477-8600.

Raphael Pazzini
Director of Rooms & Residences
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My stay was good….

The ski concierge service is outstanding, with an awesome ski locker room for your use near the gondola. Free coffee and hot chocolate in the lobby of the concierge as well. This was a great touch when you are coming off the hill.

The room was very nice and very comfortable. We had a mountain view, but the view was largely another building right next to us. The hotel never seemed crowded, and the staff that I met always seemed to be very polite, and always asking what they can do to make your stay better. The drivers, greeters, front desk, concierge, to the wait staff all treated us very well. Free coffee downstairs in the morning was nice, and the cappuccino in the room was great.
The biggest complaint I would have is the “free internet” that is part of your resort fee of $30.00 per day is really, really poor. You could not even watch a you tube video across it anytime during the day or night. I tried several times, during the day to see if it would work. BUT, for another $15.00 per day you could get a higher speed internet connection. Why play those games in this day and age? One other thing I thought was odd for such a high end facility. They never replenished the shower amenities during our stay of 4 days. Well guess what, we ran out on day 4. It seems like a small issue, but with a place that holds itself to such high standards, I thought it would be replenished.

Bottom line: Would I stay again… Yes, in a heartbeat.

The skiing at Vail is outstanding. A very large mountain with variety of runs that never seems to end.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amorace
Thank you for your recent stay and review. I am glad to hear that you took advantage of our convenient Ski Concierge service. Thanks for the compliments on our staff, too.

The resort fee includes various amenities, such as complimentary transportation within the Vail Village, standard in-room internet, local phone calls, access to our Kids for All Seasons program and Young adult center and use of our private lockers and refreshments at our off site Ski Concierge during the winter season.

We do service the rooms twice a day, and we will be following up internally as this is below our operating standards.

Berthoud, Colorado
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Four Seasons is a 5 star hotel that stands up to the test. This is not a hotel to stay at if you are on a tight budget, but neither is Vail. It is not the best hotel I have stayed at but it is in the top 10 easily. The hotel and spa are first class, great staff and artwork make the difference. Every meal we ate in the hotel was special, and the rooms are large and very well designed. Each has a fireplace, large walk in closet and the bathrooms are amazing.

It is not a ski in hotel, you must take a shuttle to the slope side ski concierge. We often walked, since it took us under 8 minutes through the heart of Vail. The concierge is great, they shuttle all your equipment over, and you have a locker to store your gear. They also have food, drinks and a full service ski shop, that is approximately 100 meters from the gondola. At the end of the day they have staff at the gondola that will take your skis and poles right as you step off the snow.

After a day on the slopes, the full service spa is perfect, and the pool area is a great location to have a drink and watch the slopes. Be sure to use the steam room and sauna! The day we checked out we stored a change of clothes in a locker and were able to shower and relax in the spa before driving home.

I would stay at this property again!

Room Tip: They all have great views but ask for a south facing room if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank johnLongmont_CO
FourSeasonsColorado, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and feedback on our Resort. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our spa, its sauna and eucalytpus steam room. Our Ski Concierge is a guest favorite, so I am glad you were able to take advantage of this convenient service!

CA
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Let me begin by saying this was a good stay overall, and I might even return. But I was surprised at some gaps in the service (more on that later.)

First, winter guests should be aware this hotel is not ski-in/out. The hotel isn't clear about this in their marketing. So I will be. The hotel is located in the village about a 10 minute walk to the base of the mountain. The funny thing is, it's NOT necessarily a bad thing. Anyone who is familiar with the amazing Vail Village, with its countless restaurants, apres-ski scene etc, will enjoy the stroll through the village. Most importantly, the ski concierge (which is located directly at the Gondola) is staffed with Four Seasons employees and they are amazing. Here's how it works: You rent your skis at the hotel's in-house Gorsuch ski rental, and they send your information over to the ski concierge at the mountain. Every day you stroll over in your ski clothes (wearing comfortable shoes) while your boots and skis are waiting for you. They give you a locker to use throughout your stay (think Four Seasons Spa locker room) so you can store your boots, goggles, helmet, gloves etc and don't have to schlep it all back and forth. They help you into and out of your boots. This is not a large hotel, so it is never crowded. True five star service. No complaints. The ski concierge is probably 100 feet from the gondola, and they even carry your skis the extra 100 feet for you. (Tip them well, they deserve it!) The hotel will drive you to the ski concierge, but I walked every day. This arrangement wouldn't be ideal in many places, but in Vail village it's perfect and even adds to the experience.

MORE DETAILS:

THE HOTEL ITSELF: lovely, but slightly bland, and the lobby seems to lack a "core". Nothing to anchor or draw you in. Just a central hallway. They also went slightly contemporary on the decor, and I found myself craving a little more mountain warmth/ elegance.

ROOMS: are probably the best part of the hotel. Each has a fireplace and a large comfy chair perfect for reading. The layout is nice, with a spacious entry, walk-in closet, and nice corner desk. The bathrooms are extremely generous with a free-standing tub. Housekeeping was excellent every day. Immaculate.

THE RESTAURANT, "Flame", was nice. The food was excellent but it can't shake the feeling of a hotel dining room. .

LOBBY BAR: Decent, but nothing special. The service was slow and for some unknown reason had a tacky Red-Bull refrigerator sitting proudly on a side table. OMG.

HOTEL DRIVERS: will take you or pick you up anywhere in the village. (Mercedes SUV) This is one of the few hotels I've ever stayed in where you could truly rely on hotel courtesy cars for any and all transporation and eliminate the need for a rental car/ taxi etc.

SPA: is excellent, beautifully detailed. Very large and spacious steam and jacuzzi areas. I had 2 heavenly massages as well. The spa staff is very attentive and the facilities are all pristine.

PROBLEMS: It quickly became obvious this hotel relies on "seasonal" employees. The young lady who checked me in had only moved to town a few months before, and while polite, was completely helpless and seemed unfamiliar with the rooms. Room service was spotty. If you call Room Service after 10pm the front desk answers "front desk". Confused, I said I must have dialed wrong. She said, "oh you want food? Room service went home. We're taking orders now". ... Isn't that what happens when you order "room service" at a HoJo??? Once they bring the food up, and you're ready for the table to be removed, they send a bellman to do it. Another time they simply said, "oh you can just push it out into the hall". I have two problems with this: First and foremost, this is not Four Seasons service. Period. And second, to me this sounds like a hotel who wants to claim they have 24hr room service when in fact the front desk is taking orders, the bellman is delivering your food, and God knows who's cooking it?

Also, the coffee shop closed at 3pm. I thought this was just plain weird. Call me crazy, but I would have enjoyed a hot cappuccino after getting off the slopes at 330. So, I went down to the pool. I had noticed the day before someone serving hot cocoa and even making crepes by the big fire next to the pool. Beautiful! But I arrived and waited for 5 minutes and no one showed up! The crepe table was there, the bar setup, everything. It was as if the employee just wandered off, never to return. I asked some other guests who were in the hot tub, and they laughed and said "we haven't seen him in a really long time and we need another round of drinks!". I left. I'm sure those guests eventually enjoyed their drinks, and someone eventually enjoyed a crepe or two. But that sums up the experience: if you wait long enough and endure the gaps in service, you'll have a very nice stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank JTG61
Thank you for your stay this winter. I am pleased to hear you used our Mercedes SUVs and Ski Concierge service at the base of Vail Mountain; it's a guest favorite. Glad that you also enjoyed our spa and massages.

I would enjoy discussing your comments with you further, so please do call me at 970-477-8600.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Raphael Pazzini
Director of Rooms & Residences
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Ohhh boy, this is what skiing is all about. The Four Seasons clearly understand what the word "service" means. Its everywhere. From the front desk, to the in-house ski hire, to the Ski Concierge, to the restaurant, to the Concierge, to Housekeeping ... And then of course you need a room - well how about 54 square metres of luxury for the starting size, a fire in each room, and every other appointment you could desire. We only ate breakfast in-house (as we wanted to visit as many restaurants as possible) which was unbelievably goood - food that was actually good for you. Yes, the hotel is 7 mins walk to the gondola, but we thoroughly enjoyed that each morning - you can shuttle it if you must. And finally the ski concierge ... where do I start? Soooo unbelievably good. It is housed 50 metres from the gondola, but don't worry, you don't carry your skis, either direction! Your own large locker to keep whatever you want in it. Oh by the way, it (the locker) has warm air piped thro it, just your boots are the right temperature each morning!! And I have NEVER had someone help me on and off with my boots each morning, ever - I am spoilt for life now! Oh, I forgot about the warm choc chip cookies and muffins each morning and evening not to mention you can make you own cappuccino or hot chocolate. I still can't get over the fact that at the end of each day I would ski to the bottom, get out of my skis, allow the ski concierge boys to pick them up and I just walk off for cookies and coffee. Loved it!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the mountain views!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank timothy4
Thank you for your 5-star review of our Resort! I'm glad you enjoyed our large guest rooms--some of the largest in the area! Thanks for highlighting our Ski Concierge program; we aim to make skiing effortless, so you can enjoy the mountain more--rather than worry about your equipment, transportation, etc.!

Please visit us again soon.

Director of Public Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vail
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
Manor Vail Lodge
Manor Vail Lodge
#5 of 30 in Vail
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Been to Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail? Share your experiences!