“great family dining on the mountain”
Review of Bistro 14

Bistro 14
Ranked #80 of 124 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Our family of six enjoyed an excellent dinner after a fun time tubing on Adventure Ridge. It was my son's 13th birthday, so he chose our activities & dining that evening. Everyone enjoyed riding up & down the gondola, especially on the way down as the sun was setting. We had a nice view of the mountains and excellent quick service. The fondue appetizer has a nice mix of cheeses and was thick and flavorful. Kids enjoyed dipping the apple slices, bread cubes, tomatoes, carrot sticks and grapes (from kids menu). The kids menu is a great deal-carrot sticks & grapes with ranch dressing, a choice of several entrees (mine chose mac n cheese, and pasta with marinara sauce), and a generous brownie sundae with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and sprinkles. Adults enjoyed duck pot stickers, which were light and not greasy, with a nice taste and dipping sauce. For my entree, I chose the spinach salad with goat cheese, red pepper, carmelized onions,topped with 5 grilled shrimp. My husband had a nice elk tenderloin, with good kale and a delicious blackberry sauce. The birthday boy gobbled down his bison meatball sandwich with melted cheese but did share some of his sweet potato fries, which we all liked. My other son had an excellent Asian dish of slivered beed, noodles, and an assortment of vegetables & mushrooms in a tasty broth. For dessert we shared a tasty warm chocolate molten cake, cookies & brownies (you get 3 of each, plus milk!), and a mini-dessert trio, which was wonderful and an excellent deal for $8. I chose pumpkin do-not holes over a caramel pudding, a cheesecake trifle, and a chocolate pot...there were also an apple cobbler and a few other options. We will return here.

There are newer reviews for Bistro 14

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We've eaten here half a dozen times over the years - always with kids. It is a very family oriented place to have dinner. Not necessary a great option for a more romantic getaway. Kids like riding the gondola to dinner, and it is kind of fun.

Food is just fine. Decent soups, ahi tuna salad, quick vegetables for the kids, good burgers, fine steaks. Given all of the lousy meals I have endured with my children, finding something quite edible at 11,000 feet is a pleasant surprise.

Service has uniformly been very pleasant as well. The staff know their clientele and their menu - and really make an effort to ensure you (adults) have a nice time (thanks Jim).

If you are in town with your family, I'm sure you would enjoy your meal.

Bill

1  Thank BoulderBill
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband and daughter and I had the pleasure of two lunches up here. WOW. Fabulous soups and believe it or not incredibly delicious ahi and fondue. Sandwiches and fries looked great also. Good beer and a view to die for. Go!! Great mid day stop on the tour of the mountain. We were blessed with great weather so what else can you say.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

was in Vail for Pres Day weekned and ate dinner twice at Bistro 14. Most restaurants in the village were packed, but this was not. Both nights our waiters were very friendly and the food was excellent. The nightime ride on the Gondola is fun too.

1  Thank Austinnnn
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I am living in the valley for the season & had been to Bistro 14 once before with a good experience for a concierge night. We went on the 11th around 6 p.m. & the ride up the gondola was extremely relaxing & free (gondola is free to foot passengers after 2 p.m.). Our waiter was Jim & was so welcoming & extremely helpful. We had questions, but he was able to answer all of them without us even asking. We decided on the duck potstickers for an appetizer. They were great & the bread we had was really good, too! For dinner we had the grilled butcher steak & the sesame crusted ahi tuna. I can't say enough good things about the entrees. The steak literally melted in your mouth & the crispy scalloped potatoes that came with it were to die for. The sesame crusted ahi tuna that Jim recommended was perfect & was a perfect portion (enough for leftovers!). We had a petite apple crisp for dessert & again it was the perfect portion after being so full from dinner. The dessert chef is great there. Everything about Bistro 14 was wonderful & I highly recommend it for dinner- especially at night & if you're going tubing or visiting Adventure Ridge.

1  Thank Cally B