“Great Fondue”

Swiss Chalet - Vail
Reserve with OpenTable
Swiss Chalet - Vail is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 123 Restaurants in Vail
Cuisines: Austrian, Swiss, European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Meadow Drive
Transit: Vail in town bus stop in front of restaurant entrance, and minutes away from the public parking structure and transportation center.
Denver,CO
“Great Fondue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We ordered the fondue with oil and had a nice selection of beef, potatoes, and veggies. We had a great bottle of wine. The Swiss Chalet gets packed with lots of families so be sure to make a reservation. Very good service and a fun evening.

• Visited July 2014

Fort Lee, New Jersey
“Authentic Fondu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is a do-not-miss but get your reservation in! Everyone knows and everyone loves! There is even a bar / counter where you can sit if you don't want a table. This is a great option.

Visited February 2014
Mexico City, Mexico
“best fondues ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were 13 people, great service, outstanding food! great to go with kids and family.
the only bad thing is you come out smelling like cheese hahaha

Visited April 2014
mexico
“You have 45 minutes to cook your dinner. Pay $500 USD and leave!...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I just had dinner with my family at the Swiss Chalet.
I have been coming for years, since most of us like fondues and raclettes.

It's a busy place and we know it. I made reservation for 3, but our party grew to 7. Our concierge called and they were able to accomodate us from 7 30, which was our original reservation, to 6pm for 7. We accepted.

Once we were there, the hostess told me that we had 1:45 minutes to have dinner. What?
The only other time I had been to a restaurant was one of those fixed menus and they schedule, but that time they told me 7 or 10 pm.

In other countries people might stay for hours, order rounds of cognacs after dinner and everybody is happy, the customer, enjoying the evening and the owners too, since every cognac is worth more than the dinner.

This time I went with kids, so even though I though it was rude to tell a customer that we would have to leave when they told us, and I mentioned that to the hostess, I said it was ok, since going with kids most likely its eat and run.

What I didn't know was that it would take the staff 1 full hour to bring the food, or properly said, the ingredients, since a raclette is actually a grill, you have to cook yourself the meat and vegetables.

This type of setup is for everybody to enjoy, prepare your food, share and have a good time, riight?

Not this time. We had only 45 minutes left to prepare our food, ask for dessert, skip the cognac and leave.

How on earth do they expect to take in guests and ask them to eat in 45 minutes and charge $500 USD.?

They could have told us they couldn't accommodate us and give us other options some other day.
If they take you in, they should't make you swallow your food and keep track of time so they can sell their tables 3 times per dinner per night.

I hope someone in this restaurant read this and try to change this abnormality.

Meanwhile, please ask whomever takes your reservation if they will ask you to leave early. We did finish in 45 minutes (obviously for the last time), and they had another family waiting for the table, and without any problem, they told them out loud that our table was their table.

Its like overbooking a hotel or a flight. You can do it but you will certainly loose customers for life.
Please help yourself and avoid this inconvinience. Go elsewhere and take your time to enjoy your vacation dinner, this is not the place to relax and enjoy.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank PegasoMex
New Jersey
“A touch of the Alps in Vail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Had a lovely dinner here which included the Bauern plate, cheese fondue, duck and dessert. The atmosphere where we sat was very nice and our server was terrific. In general the food was very good, but agree with the comment about the duck not being as hot as I wished it was when served. It was however very tasty, as was the red cabbage. My other comment would be that for the mixed salad, I would have preferred less lettuce and more of the different small salads that make up a "gemischte salat". The serving was however very generous. The cheese fondue delicious. I would definitely come back again as we had a lovely time, did not feel rushed and enjoyed ourselves

• Visited March 2014

Been to Swiss Chalet - Vail? Share your experiences!