“Fabulous service!”
Review of Hotel Talisa, Vail

Hotel Talisa, Vail
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Our family just checked out today and I must say the service was fabulous! Every person we came in contact with from the moment we arrived went above and beyond to provide top notch service! We definitely will be back!

• Stayed: November 2012
Brett S, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, Vail, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Meagan4567,
We were thrilled to read your 4-star review of our hotel and are delighted to hear that the service you received was top notch. We do hope you return soon and enjoy all the great things that make Vail so special in winter! With our own chairlift, ski valet and rental shop on property, we make it easy to get the most of Vail Mountain. Thank you for choosing Vail Cascade – we hope to welcome you back soon!
Vail Cascade Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Pros: good front desk customer service, parking was free and plentiful (instead of charging the $18 stated in the fine print), rooms were nice and clean, bed and pillows comfortable, food was competitively priced in restaurant and bar (50% off of entrees and pizzas.) Shuttle was usually on time to take you to Vail Village and Lionshead Village and back.

Cons: Upon arrival, the bellman delivered our bags to the door, but only knocked once before walking right in, without waiting to make sure it was ok. It would be nice to have longer than a few second window to answer the door before someone welcomes themselves into your suite.
Our TV was unplugged and then was not working and needed to be "re-set." Called front desk who apologized and said they would be sending maintenance right up. After 45 minutes, no maintenance man. We called again, to which they replied that he would be right there. He arrived within 5 min (but at least waited until we had a chance to open the door before entering) He fiddled with the equipment for a while, left again, came back with something, and voila, working TV.
While getting ready for dinner, we noticed that the hot water was off in one of the bathroom sinks. I thought they were supposed to check these things before your arrival?
The next morning we were almost walked in on again, this time by the maid... but we had thwarted her attempt at entering by sliding that little lock at the top of the door before we went to sleep the night before. She tapped 3 times with her key card and just opened the door. This was 2 hours before checkout at 9AM.

I was able to negotiate an upgrade cost because of the 2 walk-ins, and would probably stay again, particularly if I get the same good deal. I heard from the other guests that the spa facility was very nice, but never got down that far to check it out for myself. Ahhh, perhaps next time.

Room Tip: Creekside is very lovely... we woke up to a fine dusting of snow on the trees outside. No fireplaces...

Dear tabers00,
Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review on TripAdvisor. We value feedback from all our guests and appreciate your opinion. As a AAA Four Diamond resort, we strive to provide a great experience and appreciate your thoroughness on every aspect of your experience. We take feedback from our guests seriously and have therefore shared your review with our team. We’re always striving to make improvements in an effort to ensure every guest has a positive experience. We do hope you come back soon and take time to visit Aria Spa & Club, which was recently ranked 24th on Condé Nast’s list of “Top 100 Resort Spas.

Thanks again,

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I tried a group-on coupon for the first time and was very pleased. I used to work in the hotel industry so being greeted like a 5 star customer even though I was using a coupon was a pleasant surprise. All the staff was very friendly and recommended other restaurants even off property without hesitation. I would recommend better signage to get to elevators as it was very common not only for us to get lost but we found people lost as well. With the deal that I got, as well as the free upgrade that they gave us for our anniversary I can't complain, as I never experienced a problem!

Dear scootermsu,
First let me take a moment to send you best wishes on your anniversary. We are truly honored that you selected Vail Cascade as your vacation destination to celebrate this special occasion. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your experience and from what it sounds like, you had a memorable time, which is great to hear. We also appreciate your feedback on our elevator signage - we’ll definitely share that with our team. If you decide to return to Vail, please let me know if there’s anything I can do to make your next visit even more memorable.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

How did this place receive 4 stars? The resort was an average at best, and I would definitely knock a star off.

Here's the good:
- location was good, close to I-70 and at only 10 minute distance from Lionshead Village and Vail Village;
- most of the staff was very nice and hepful. They were able to knock off a $27 resort fee as a result if housekeeping mishap (see "the bad" section).
- the food was very good, and restaurant prices were competitive with prices at other restaurants in Vail. There is a cafe, a restaurant and a bar on site.
- there was a self-parking option, and the lot was close enough to the building that it wasn't a hassle;
- the outdoor heated pool is amazing, and they have several hot tubs, as well as fire places that definitely made it a relaxing eperience.

The bad
- they forgot to clean the coffee maker after the last guests, so I found curdled milk inside it. I asked them to have someone clean it, because I didn't have any dishwasher detergent. Someone did come to the room within 15 minutes and claimed she cleaned it. After making coffee, I decided to wash the residue and throw the coffee bag away. Well, I was UNpleasantly surprised to discover curdled milk ON my coffee bag. No wonder the coffee tasted sour, but I thought it was just the coffee. They did offer to take the $27 resort fee off one night's stay.
- I had no idea there was the $27 resort fee until after booking, although this may be the fault of the travel site;
- the staff told us the restaurant was open until 9pm, and the bar until 11ish, but when we wanted to have dinner on Thu night at 8:30, we were told "sorry, the restaurant is closed", and the night before, the bar closed at 9 instead of 11.
- I didn't have a credit card, and I was informed that the minimum they would charge my Debit card was $50. The next morning, I saw $300 taken out as part of the deposit, instead of the $50.
- the pool opens at 7am, but they start filling the pool at random times. Yesterday they did it at 9, today, they started the jets at 10:30.
- the furniture is very outdated, and they need a serious design revamp;
- the bathroom is smaller than bathrooms at 2 or 3 star hotels.

1  Thank Iuliana J
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I decided to take my 22 year old daughter to Vail for a spur of the moment weekend and we decided on the Vail Cascade Resort. It was easy to get to and the grounds are lovely -- there's a walking/biking path to Lionshead right behind the resort and the entire complex is surrounded by lush forest. There is a very small retail shop onsite where you can buy resort wear but the prices are pretty high. This is also where you can buy certain tickets to attractions in the Vail/Lionshead area.

We went to the front desk to check in and that's where things started to go south. No matter where we went in this hotel, we were asked "did you come here through Living Social?" We didn't but I did purchase the hotel room online via Travelocity the night before, so apparently this is how many (or most?) of the rooms at this hotel are purchased. I thought I'd found a great deal but I was so wrong! We had a nice room -- not large, not small -- although we were able to hear kids running and screaming up and down the halls (which lasted over 20 minutes). I was a little wary about the noise level heard from inside the room but hoped for the best. We made a quick stop at the concierge to ask what we might do in Vail the next day but the guy at the counter was less than helpful. After he finally put down his cell phone, he told us he didn't usually work the concierge desk (he was a shuttle driver who was tapped to help out as concierge) and didn't know what activities were available. We took some maps and brochures and decided to look them over on our own later that night at dinner.

After checking in, we made reservations at Aria, the onsite spa, for massages. Absolute heaven!! This has one of the most relaxing waiting areas, with lounge chairs surrounding a cracking fireplace. We sipped lemon water while zoning out on "spa music" and hushed conversations. The massages were wonderful, with experienced and competent staff and for a reasonable price. Any ratings I've given this hotel are for the spa alone.

We enjoyed dinner and drinks in the hotel bar -- the dining room had a 45 minute wait, although there were at least a dozen empty table within eyesight. I asked why we couldn't sit in any of the empty booths I could see and was told by the hostess that those seats weren't available. When I asked her why not? she stared at me with blank and vacant eyes and had no answer, so I didn't ask again. The food we had in the bar was okay, but expensive ... $50+ for two burgers, fries, one soda and one glass of wine. There was only one waitress in the bar and she was completely slammed -- due to the limited seating in the dining room, the bar was packed! She was amazing and we gave her a great tip and told the manager what a great job she was doing.

We'd decided to turn in early and head out to Lionshead for breakfast and a trip up the mountain the next morning. Then at midnight, we were woken up by the arrival of our next door neighbors and the SCREAMING of a small child. This is when I really realized that the walls here are PAPER THIN! We heard every word they said (two women on a weekend trip with their kids) and especially the bloodcurdling screams of the one child. This went on for almost an hour until the child finally settled down and we all went to sleep. But only until 2am. The kid woke us up screaming even LOUDER than before, which I didn't think was possible but unfortunately it was. After 15 minutes of this commotion, where I didn't hear any other sound coming from the other room, I called the front desk to complain. They called the room, at which time I heard one of the women get out of bed and answer the phone, and within a few minutes the child was quiet.... until 5am when he went ballistic again and we finally gave up on any sleep. When I checked out, I complained to the manager who confirmed our next door neighbor had checked in around midnight. However, she was less than sympathetic, gave me an "oh well" attitude, and said that since I'd pre-paid for my room, she wasn't able to give me any credit. I told her this was BS, that Vail has thousands of hotel rooms, I'd never come here again, etc. So she rolled her eyes and said she'd comp me $15 toward my incidentals (i.e., the dinner in the hotel dining room). Better than nothing, I took the credit, but I told her I'd be leaving an honest review on Trip Advisor.

This hotel is lovely and the spa is fantastic. But I like to get a good night's sleep and it was impossible at this place. When we were there, there was an Orthodox family reunion going on in one of the ballrooms, and the children of these families were everywhere and running amok. Add to that the horrible neighbors with the out of control child and it's impossible for me to leave a good review for this place. As I said to the Cascade manager, there are thousands of hotel rooms available in the Vail area. I suggest you make the Vail Cascade your LAST resort!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if it's possible, but ask for a QUIET room. Maybe you'll get luckier than...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Debbie K
Brett S, General Manager at Hotel Talisa, Vail, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Debbie417,
Thank you for your recent review. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our guests, whether good or bad. From what it sounds like, you enjoyed Aria Spa, but your stay overall did not meet your expectations, as well as ours. I appreciate you providing us with detailed feedback on your experience and some of the issues you encountered specifically. I can promise you that we have shared your feedback and addressed it with our team. Your review is invaluable as we strive to continuously improve our processes and service standards as a AAA Four Diamond resort in Vail. We do hope you give us another chance to earn back your loyalty and I personally invite you to call me directly if I can make your next visit more enjoyable

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This has always been one of my favorite hotels to stay in Vail but I was very disappointed during our last visit. I often recieve e-mails with specials for staying at the hotel and booked our stay for my husband's 40th birthday. When I made the reservation I mentioned we were coming to also eat at the restaurant which is a favorite of my husbands. When we went to check in, the room rate was different than what I had on my printed confirmation, and the front desk clerk said "what did you get a groupon or something" like it was a bad thing to get a groupon, and I said no I recieved an e-mail with the promotion. She couldn't fix my room rate for me but said someone else would. She then proceeded to tell me that the pool and restaurant was closed. I was really dissapointed since I mentioned the reason we were coming when I made the reservation was to eat at the restaurant. The hotel was pretty much empty and had limited staff as I suspected for off-season, but we were put in this corner room with no view, a very loud air conditioner unit that scared my daughter so much she didn't want to go in the room, and just wasn't of the quality of standard room I have stayed in the past, that beining said all my other visits and rooms were always wonderful so maybe I was a little spoiled, but I someway felt I was being punished for our room rate. Again, maybe this was due to being the slow season but since we planned on going to the pool and dinner, our plans were pretty much ruined for the weekend and we were very dissapponted in the staff. In the morning since the restaurant wasn't open, my 2 year old and myself walked down to the cafe to get breakfast which was extremely overpriced, it cost $36 for two breakfast sandwhiches, and fruit and milk for my daughter. On the way past the front desk my daughter very happily said "Good Morning" to the gentlemen at the front desk, which he replied "I don't do children". Will I try this hotel again??? Probably but I wouldn't reccomend it so ardently like I have in the past.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank KMGBOS

Dear KMGBOS.
We are disappointed to learn that your recent stay didn’t meet your expectations, especially considering you selected Vail Cascade as a place to celebrate a special occasion with your family. I can assure you that your interaction with the front office staff doesn’t meet our own standards. The feedback you provided will be pivotal to the training, coaching and counseling of our associates. We take great pride in hiring the best in Vail and training our associates to ensure interactions meet our exacting standards.

As we continue to improve processes, reviews such as yours in invaluable. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope you allow us another opportunity to showcase what we truly represent. If you choose to return to Vail Cascade, please contact me directly and I’ll make sure that your next stay is up to your standards, as well as ours.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I would recommend this resort property to anyone who wants to just get away! The shuttle to the village is a nice amenity. The on-site restaurant (Atwater on Gore Creek) is great too! I especially liked the value of our stay. We took advantage of a GroupOn that just made our little Fall Break that much better. We were upgraded to a suite which was sweet! We had privacy from the kids!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family