“The Taste of Vail stay was fantastic”
Review of Hotel Talisa, Vail

Hotel Talisa, Vail
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Vail
“The Taste of Vail stay was fantastic”
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We had an event at the Vail Cascade Resort, The Taste of Vail. I saw an amazing level of service and we appreciate this.
The staff was available and ready to help at all times.
We had very few areas of improvement and there have already been meetings to fix everything!
The Cascade showed us that the location gave everyone time to enjoy the spa and Atwater. I would highly recommend anytime!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed a week with our two young children with the Spring Break package. We stayed in a standard room, facing the interior courtyard/entrance. The room wasn’t large, but it was tastefully furnished and comfortable.

Highlights:
Nice facilities - Pool, hot tub, fire pit, spa, ski rental onsite, chairlift – all wonderful. I was particularly impressed that the pool was sufficiently heated. Sometimes ‘heated’ pools are not sufficiently heated to be enjoyable during cold weather, but here it was a great temperature.

Housekeeping - No one gets excited about housekeeping, but they did make our stay comfortable. Multiple, requests (more sheets, blanket, more coffee) were quickly taken care of.

Restaurants on site (Fireside Bar and Atawater) were solid. The breakfast buffet at Atawater had sufficient variety and everything was high quality. Great value at $15 for adults. Service at breakfast was awesome. We always asked for Steve W.’s section. He was great with kids, just got us started on the right foot every day. We ate dinner twice at Atawater and it was very good – the buffalo rib eye was superb. Fireside had great choices and a nice atmoshpere. The kids' menu was thoughtful and had great choices (the mac and cheese ws home made and delicious enough for discriminating adults).

Shuttle – The shuttle to Lionshead/Vail Village also dropped us of (on request) in front of the Children’s Nursery/Ski School at Golden Peak. It was very convenient, no long walks with adult/kid equipment. The shuttles circulated frequently and we never waited long for them. It was probably more convenient for us than if we would have stayed in Vail proper!

Concierge – Yes, we know they are trying to make money, but still, it was very convenient to have someone call us and book spa and restaurant reservations. Thumbs up!

Low Points:
Reservations – I first called to ask questions about the rooms, package and change/cancellation policies. A nice agent (Allison?), answered all my questions, was very enthusiastic, and made an initial reservation. I called the next day to book my package and the agent that answered the call (not Allison) gave me completely different information on the room (can’t provide an inflatable mattress, etc.) and the package cancellation policy. She was also pretty short and impatient. I had some issues at check-out (see below) and I am wondering if she did not put all the information correctly.

Check-out – Since we were leaving at 5:30 am to catch a shuttle to the airport, I went to the front desk the evening before our departure to settle our bill. We had booked the Spring Break package that included a substantial resort credit for staying 7 nights. I had confirmed on the phone with reservations and at check-in that it was good for any resort charges (restaurant, spa, room service, etc.). At check-out, the front desk person indicated that in one part of my reservation the credit appeared as a Food and Beverage credit and in one part it appeared as a resort credit. Since I had spa charges, she would have to check with the manager to see if they could be applied. I indicated that my confirmation in my room clearly said resort credit, and it had been confirmed at check-in. I said I could get it, if it was necessary. She said I should get it, so that there wouldn’t be any problems. I had to go back to the room to get my confirmation for the front desk. We got it sorted and then I noticed there were 2 small spa charges that weren’t from my room. Once again, the front desk person went to the back office to retrieve the receipts, which clearly had someone else’s name on it, and only then was my bill corrected. This is a big hotel, and it is understandable that someone would have confused their room number, but it would make sense for the department making the charge (or the front desk) to verify that the name on the bill matches the person staying in that room before charging it to the room. This is not s small, intimate hotel where the entire staff knows your name, so it’s particularly important to check before charging the incorrect guest. Also, when I’m on vacation, I want my bill to be correct, and I don’t want to have to take the time to produce evidence that what I am saying is correct. All in all, it took a bit of time to get everything correctly sorted and I was glad I had not waited to 5:00 am to settle my bill. It certainly was not a relaxing end to an otherwise great vacation.

Despite the issues, we enjoyed the service elsewhere in the hotel, the facilities and restaurants, and the convenience of the location/shuttle, enough to visit in the future. If we do, we hope these issues are worked out.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
DENVER
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Avoid this hotel if possible. We paid nearly 200 dollars and had the worst nights sleep. The walls and doors are thin as aluminm foil and all night we had college players literally wrestling in the hall. It stopped around 4 am with a whole lot of cursing and threats to other guests. The next morning we had to request twice for towels before we finally went down and got them ourselves. At breakfast I found a hair in my oatmeal and a hair in our silverware roll and their only compensation was changing the oatmeal. I still paid for breakfast. As we were checking out, I went to use the toilets on the first floor and they were all clogged with bowel movements.

I will not be going back to a hotel which asked me to pay to listen to drunk college kids wrestle until 4 am, and asked me to pay for hairy oatmeal and poo in the toilets. You know what they offered me?

Free parking.... what a joke

5 Thank cstillman
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed here at the very end of ski season (April 16, 2011) with 3 girlfriends in a 1 bedroom suite. Service was outstanding (can't say enough about the bellhops/concierges catering to every whim), room was extremely comfortable, very spacious and delightfully quiet. Although not in the heart of Vail, between the Hotel's shuttle and the village buses, we barely noticed - really just as convenient as other ski-in places I've stayed in Vail Village proper. The gloriously heated saline pool and hotub on the very edge of the mountain/creek with nearby fire pits were sublime. We enjoyed the onsite restaurant as well and the cafe/store was well-stocked.

All four of us did have difficultly connecting to the room's WI-FI (never worked), but we never called someone to look into it either since our digital phones worked fine. If you really need WI-FI, make sure it works as soon as you arrive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Good location near the slopes. Not at the mountain but close enough and access to an outlying chair make it convenient. As previous reviewer mentions hot tub by the river is sublime. Though I was not pleased with the amount of not just young teenagers but little children playing in the hot tub as it detracts from the experience. There should be some measure to restrict their access at least during certain times and enforce it to make it more pleasurable for guests who do not have children and are paying for a relaxing vacation. Overall service was excellent, check-in and cafe staff get the highest marks, concierge and bell hop the next highest and finally the ski shop/concierge staff the lowest. The ski shop crew were certainly kind and I don't need to be treated as royalty but felt after they got the initial "hello sir" out of the way, they were very informal. They assumed we knew the process when in fact we didn't and could have used an explanation. Not at all disrespectful, but too informal "yeah dude"
for me. Turns out the ski boots were returned to me soaked as they were left next to skis with melting snow by the ski concierge. Overall, in conclusion I would say that all hotel staff including the ski concierge was good, the location was ideal and the venue was beautiful both inside and out. I'd recommend this resort for couples and friends in the 30+ range but not suitable for families with younger children. Overall, an excellent value deserving each of the stars awarded.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I have stayed at the Cascade several times over the years. It had been awhile though, I hope it will not so long between stays!

From the warm welcome at the desk, they let us check IN at 10:00 in the morning. Impressive! All the staff we met were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, this at the end of the season.

Our room in the Terrace Wing was large with a king bed, sofa, couple of chairs, small fridge, table. I could have easily spent a week in our room.

Really nice hot-tubs, one with a fire pit. Love it! The Cascade is a very, short distance from the Village and the private shuttles run often. I love the location by the river. It is so very relaxing. Wish I had time to visit the spa, friends that did loved it! Thanks to everyone at the Cascade for the perfect getaway, though albeit much to short!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
VailInstructor, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Talisa, Vail, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
We are so pleased that your stay with us at Vail Cascade was such a great experience for you! We also truly appreciate the time and effort you took by writing and posting your review. Hopefully you can return soon, we'd love to see you here.
Best regards,
Kirsten, Vail Cascade Public Relations
Boulder, CO
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I may be biased since I got engages last weekend at Vail, but all the staff went out of their way to make us feel special and spoiled! Excellent service and attention to detail. The value at thsi hotel is incredible, and with ski-in, ski-out, what more could you ask for! I can't wait to go back. P.S. the Aria spa is fabulous!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Wow! What a romantic event, many congratulations to you both! We are so glad we got to be a part of your memorable experience. We truly appreciate that you took the time to record your wonderful stay here with us, and sincerely hope to see you many, many times again.
Best wishes,