“enhancing the Vail skiing experience”

Ski & Snowboard School at Beaver Creek
Ranked #21 of 74 things to do in Vail
More attraction details
Owner description: Center for cross-country ski rentals, trails and for snowshoeing equipment.
Palm Springs, California
“enhancing the Vail skiing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

My skiing has benefitted tremendously from the skill, and teaching ability of the instructors. When I have had issues the supervisors have always resolved them to my satisfaction.

Visited January 2011

Brighouse, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“4 runs for $139?!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

I'm reckon I'm an advanced beginner - I can ski easy blues and am generally parallel until things get tricky when I revert to a wedge. I'd say I was about a level 4 or perhaps 5.

My fiance and I had 10 days skiing in January 2010. As he's very competent, I booked in for a one day lesson to try to sharpen up a bit. I've skied in the States before and I've never had a problem booking for just one lesson. The Americans are much more flexible than European ski schools where you can generally only book a week's tuition.

I had a long chat with the lead instructor and was a bit taken aback to be put into level 3, but no problem. We then spent about an hour waiting for other students, for people to buy goggles, go to the bathroom etc. We then skied the nursery slope and were split into two groups and headed for the hill. An hour into the lesson and I was pretty much champing at the bit!

The instructor was very nice and had some good tips. But his style of skiing was to head off down the hill with everyone following him. At no point did he watch people on an individual basis and give them tips on how to improve. There were only 8 of us! A couple of people fell frequently and couldn't get sorted so we wasted time whilst he walked up the slope to sort them out.

One guy had picked up the wrong boots which slowed us down a lot. Over lunch, he went back to his condo to pick up the right boots. We waited ages for him to come back, but he never did. I appreciate that the instructor is responsible for his students, but this was a bit much!

We skied 4 runs in the whole lesson - 0945 to 1500. If you know Beaver, we did Powell, Piney and Sheephorn. The plan was then to take the lift back down to the resort but another guy and I skied back down as we just didn't think we'd done enough.

Our instructor, as I say, was very nice. However, I don't think that skiing just 4 runs was sufficient and, as I've said above, there was a lot of hanging around on and off the slopes. I did not think this was good value and I don't really think my skiing improved.

In general, I much prefer the US ski instructors to the EU guys. I think I am better suited to the "softer" teaching methods. As I said, I've had great lessons in other resorts.

Of course, I'm British so didn't complain at the time which I know that I should have done. However, I hope this review assists people who may find themselves in a similar position.

2 Thank GallopingLawyer
texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beaver Creek spring break”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

My children attended ski school during spring break in March. I have to agree with the previous reviewer. It was way too crowded. Long lines of children trudging along. It was especially sad to see the little 3 year olds crying for mommy. It was chaos dropping kids off. You had to go through a gauntlet of "helpers" directing you to the line.

My daughters didn't want to go back after the first day. On the second day, my one daughter figured out her trick of saying her tummy hurt and that way she got to stay inside all afternoon. That was a very expensive tummy ache. She was fine when I picked her up. As a result, she didn't learn a thing.

I think the instructors were really good but they were just overloaded. I couldn't believe the size of the classes with only 1 instructor and no helpers. They should have increased their staff. We made reservations way in advance so they should have anticipated the volume.

Bottom line, beware for peak times.

rather be in Colorado
“Baby sitting not a school”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

I put my older children who are level 8 skiers in ski school at Beaver Creek. I was hoping to help them improve, but all I got was a day of on mountain babysitting for $290.00. My 14 & 11 year old do not need a baby sitter on a ski mountain. They were placed in a class of 11!! That means one instructor is collecting over $1500 a day in fees for the resort. All of the kids were not on the same level. I put my three year old in a half day class. When I came to watch, I saw a long line of kids. I was told by one parent that the line was 45 minutes long from the time the child skied down the little hill until they got back on the magic carpet to go up again. Granted this is Spring break week, but Beaver Creek should put a limit on how many children they accept into ski school so the children get the attention they deserve and are paying for. Many of the young children in line were crying and I saw one tiny girl fall over asleep while waiting in line. I figure I paid about $30 a run (the run is 30 feet long) for my daughter's class. Now that is some expensive skiing.

phoenix, Arizona
“Best Instructors”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2008

I can’t say enough our three awesome instructors, named Natalie, Tony and Chippa. We all found it lukewarm interesting, that the ski school hires instructors from all over the world. We had Chippa who is from Australia, Natalie who is from Minnesota and Tony who is from Colorado.

The ski school’s manager, Mr. Greg Willis likes comments about his instructors. I wrote a nice letter to him a couple of days ago in regards of Natalie, Tony and Chippa.

Natalie is through the ski school’s awesome adaptive program. She is funny and serious.

Also, the instructors prefer to take the kids over to Beaver Creek Village because they think that it is much easier to teach the kids how to ski.

The instructors were encouraging when the Eaton/Vance kids fell in the snow.