“What a blast! Piney is fun for all!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Piney River Ranch
Ranked #14 of 72 things to do in Vail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: CLOSED FOR THE SEASON. REOPENING JUNE 21ST 2017. Mountain ranch offering summer activities - hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, restaurant, lodging. Opened June 21st through September annually.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Vail, Colorado
“What a blast! Piney is fun for all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Piney River Ranch is located in a majestic setting. The views are incredible and well worth the scenic drive to get there. You can choose from a multitude of activities from horseback riding, fishing, canoeing, etc. We chose to hike up to the waterfall which is about three miles up. Not only is the hiking beautiful upon our return we went and had lunch at Piney. The food and staff are fantastic! The Aussie staff in particular are amazing! Friendly and warm but with a sense of humor that kept us all grinning! From the experience to the people this is a must! You can't go wrong!!!

Houston, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Piney River Ranch Horseback ride”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Piney River Ranch is a beautiful spot. Long drive to get there up a rocky dirt road but beautiful scenery all the way. Sad that the pine beetle has killed so many of the trees. We did the 2 hour horseback ride. Our guide, Ty, was adorable and very entertaining. Personally, I like a more active ride that has opportunity to "get up and go" and this was just nose-to-tail. Enjoyable anyway. Had a nice lunch afterwards with view of pretty lake.
Good day and we loved TY!!

Vail, Colorado, United States
“Perfect excursion!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I proceeded to Piney Ranch w/a group of interns with great trepidation as it is pretty far off the grid! What I realized after the 11 mile drive (that was by the way breath taking) is that being off the grid is the secret to keeping it a beautiful, pristine, quintessential Colorado experience! My interns spent the summer working long hours and I wanted to treat them to the perfect day of Colorado fun which is exactly what we got! When we arrived we were greeted bt a friendly staff - 2 incredibly friendly women from Australia! We wasted no time jumping on the stand up paddle boards and loading into canoes for a gentle paddle across the lake to see the resident moose Monty! We took a gazillion photos and then heAded to the restaurant for a quick bite before they closed (at 6pm)! The menu is simple and deliscious and reasonably priced! We settled in for the night and all loaded into the yurt which was clean and comfortable and the beds were already made! I had one of the best nights sleep I've had in a while - seriously considered swiping the pillow from my bed! The next day the handsome, kind and extremely gentle resident cowboy took us for a gentle trail ride on the horses so we could really soak up the amazing landscapes! Looking forward to my next trip back to Piney!

Tulsa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“High mountain fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We love to come to this lake in the summer to canoe and take in the beautiful scenery. There is a nice restaurant and a hiking trail that goes as far as 7 miles. This year six of our group drove up from Vail (about 45 min drive) to have canoe races. 3 in each canoe. Had a blast! Best time to go is morning. We got there about 11 and rented canoes for an hour ($25 each) When we returned them there was a 30 min wait for a canoe.

Littleton, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“New Owners Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Have been going to Piney Lake to fish with my father first when I was little, and now with my own kids, so a total of 25+ years. There was never any problem with fishing the lake with the previous owners. Now they claim that the lake is completely private and only catch and release.

However, upon doing some research and talking to the Forest Service, the Upper Piney River Trail is owned by the National Forest Service and you can use it. The lake is only private on the North shore, unlike the claim made by the new leasers.(Denver water board actually owns the lake and leases it.) The South shore is National Forest property and you can fish from there and keep the fish as the state stocks fish there with tax money (according to the representative I talked to.) Disregard the resort's claim that they are the only ones stocking the lake.

Do some research before going here so that you know where the property lines lie and then AVOID the new owners and their greedy ways. We used to go up and drop at least $200 into the restaurant and gift shop there every year, now I wouldn't be caught dead giving these awful people my money!!

3 Thank Anynomous2013