“Piney Lake - NOT ALL PRIVATE”
Review of Piney River Ranch

Piney River Ranch
Ranked #12 of 74 things to do in Vail
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are officially closed for the 2017 season. See you in Summer 2018! Mountain ranch offering summer activities - hiking, canoeing, horseback riding, restaurant, lodging. Opened June 21st through September annually.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Piney Lake is not entirely private as the claim from Piney River Ranch suggests. If you find a local map you will see there is US Forest Service property on part of the lake, and this allows for public access. There are a number of fish stocked in the lake by the resort, and there are wild fish and state stocked fish, as well. If you visit Piney Lake, please respect the resort boundaries and stop in if it suits you. Otherwise, enjoy YOUR federal land and state fishery resource!

5  Thank K R

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had lunch at Piney and spent the day up there. It was awesome. The food was delicious, staff were amazing. Super helpful when it started raining. Would go there again any day!!! Love it!!!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is quite an experience. You get to drive for almost an hour over the nastiest dirt road I've ever seen. Then its "Right, who's here ? There's your horse, any questions?"
I kinda liked the out back, rough n ready setup. But if you've had any experience riding horses whatsoever don't pick this one. The horses may have well been tied to each other. Its a trial ride with beautiful scenery and an excellent guide. But if you were thinking of getting a gallop on, look elsewhere.
Perfect for beginners. Even though a little pricey.

2  Thank Jamie Y
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I traveled all the way from Texas in search of an amazing mountainview wedding venue. I had fallen in love with Piney River Ranch and its view while researching online. The drive up was longer than expected, an hour plus--- only because of the car we were driving. I suggest in taking a truck if you will be visiting! I really didn't care about the drive and the bumpy, dirt road. That wasn't such the bother. It was when we arrived and the service that was offered to us. Yes, the view is breathtaking. The venue is amazing. But the leasee, Monique has no professionalism or order in presenting this amazing venue. She had no brochures or printed information to give me. We had a casual talk. She said she'd email me with a sample contract and would be confirming if the date I had chosen would be available.This was early July, the month is almost over and still no email. What a shame! Although, I really like the venue and the view, I decided to not do business with Piney River Ranch. They don't deserve it and I don't deserve the poor service for all the money I'd be forking out. NOT WORTH IT.

3  Thank NikoTravel7777
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The new leasee of Piney River Ranch was rude. We were told we could not fish the lake even though the lake is not owned by them but last I knew Denver Waterboard owned it. Told by another fellow camper the man with the wierd mustache told him and his son if they went back they would be shot as it was private property. Have never been treated that way in all the years we have been going there!

5  Thank berna37