“The best of Colorado” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Windspirit Cottage & Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Twin Lakes
The Windspirit Cottage & Cabins
“The best of Colorado”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I love the Windspirit Cabins. For me, it is a refuge and a frequent site where I go to unwind, explore and spend the night in a safe, comfortable setting. It is truly a Colorado location: simple, practical, warm, comfortable, and a quiet spot away from the hectic life most of us lead. Colene, the owner is friendly, helpful and flexible. I love that I can take my dog too, which makes the trip even better because I don't worry about leaving my dog behind with daycare.

The cabins are just right. They are crazy clean, the linens are always fresh and the space is always immaculate. It's not fancy, and it isn't billed as being that so again, it's true Colorado. The space is small but there is a kitchen and a small refrigerator, which is a huge bonus.

The Twin Lakes Inn is open again and they serve amazing lunches and dinners so that is an added bonus. The lakes are spectacular and the hiking in the area is incredible. An easy hike takes you back to the old Interlocken resort, an abandoned vacation destination that you can see across the lake. Two attempts this year to climb Mt. Elbert have been postponed due to severe weather which is a good thing because that means I will have to go back to Windspirit again!

There are times in my life when I want everything on a trip to be an adventure. There are times when I want nothing to be an adventure, and there are times when I want both. For those times where I want adventure and then solid, dependable experience at night, there is The Windspirit. I can explore and take risks all day long and then find my solitude and my comfort at the Windspirit Cabins. I love them. I can't say enough about them, and obviously I will return again, and again, and again. Thanks so much for keeping them in such wonderful shape.

Room Tip: Cabin #1 sleeps multiple people and the Cottage in the front sleeps even more.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bruce M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boerne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed a week in the Cottage at Twin Lakes and found it to be very comfortable. It had everything we needed to cook our meals and the beds and linens were clean. The remodel was done well and the decor was nice. Even though the cottage is right on the main road, i found it to be very quiet. Having a washer and dryer was a wonderful bonus.

I am a fairly anal person and I would rent the cottage again and probably will next year! Colene was super nice and accomodating. The staff we met were also very nice. --- Mary M

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spent the last two nights at these cabins. What a disappointment for the price. They are clean, but old. Our door could have been broken down so easily. The key was difficult to lock or unlock. The shower is cracked and very old. the electrical outlets are not accessible for easy use. We had to unplug the refrigerator to plug in the coffee pot. The control for the heat in the cabin is back in the corner behind the bed. For $115/ a night I would have expected much nicer accommodations. Way over-priced! Would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mary D
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

These are small cabins with very comfortable beds and are very clean. There are 4 cabins just off the road with a small yard between them with a firepit and croquet set. You can bring your dogs. The owners are off-site so it is self-checki-in. There is TV and internet, and table and chairs outside each cabin. There is a small refrigerator and a microwave, with dishes and utensils. We enjoyed our stay, and then I left my briefcase behind and they went out of their way to help me retrieve it - very nice people.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
cape cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stumbled upon these cabins late in the afternoon before heading over the pass. Drove by, then turned around to check them out and are happy we did. we were 3 adults and a large dog traveling. Called the # on the sign, spoke to Colleen, who told us a bit about the cabins and we settled into cabin 1 with full size bunk beds and a trundle bed. The cabin was clean, comfortable, and well equipped. But what made the stay spectacular was the outdoor space and magnificent views. We traveled over to Maroon Bells the next day thinking we would stay in that area, but ended up coming back over the pass to Wind Spirit cabins for another night we liked them so much. Would highly recommend them..and if you get the chance, ask one of the locals to join you for a glass of wine ... we did and had a delightful visit with Karen..

Room Tip: All the cabins were great, just depends on what you need space wise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Twin Lakes is town of about 50 people and has just a few accommodations for hiker and bikers. The Windspirit cabins are the best location for hiking Mt. Elbert and a perfect spot for beginning your bike ride up Independence Pass. It's about 2 miles from the turnoff to the Mt. Elbert trailhead and literally at the base of the Pass. They are located directly across the road from the lakes. The cabin has a queen bed, tiny flat screen tv, microwave, small fridge and dishes/utensils. The shower was small but the water pressure is good. There are only a few cabins and they all are set around a small open area with several grills and chairs and tables. Very "old timey"! I never did meet the owners as it is pretty much self check in and out. Colene was very helpful and pleasant on the phone however. There are no restaurants in Twin Lakes and only a small general store so plan to bring your own meals or drive to Leadville (20+miles).

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TotalOfFive
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

We spent fathers day at twin lakes fishing, the cabins were very close to the lake. We thought the cabin was very clean, it was very quite and the beds were super comfy! We loved it! We can't wait to go back and spend a longer time period up there!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Twin Lakes
Super 8 Leadville CO
Super 8 Leadville CO
#5 of 8 in Leadville

Been to The Windspirit Cottage & Cabins? Share your experiences!