“You Get What You Pay For”

Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Thornton
Boston, Massachusetts
“You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I'm not sure where to start, so I'll begin with the largest offense during this stay. Having been told by my airline that one of my travel packages may be lost, but otherwise may be delivered to my hotel, I was extremely happy to finally receive it. I was NOT happy however, that I had to stop by the office at night on my way back in from working late, to find out that it had arrived. When it had arrived, I have no idea - no phone messages, no room messages, no communication at all by the front office. When were they planning to let me know my box had arrived?

Aside from this, my room was not only tiny for an "Extended Stay," but stank of smoke and was so dated as to seem to be straight out of the 80s - cheap, old, composite furniture and all. The bathroom, while on its face seemed clean and with relatively new laminate wood flooring, had caked dust on top of the towel rack and a filthy toilet seat that I had to wipe down myself. I left a tip for the room cleaner, but only out of personal obligation and because I know the person really needs it.

I never mentioned any of this to management, because in my opinion, nothing would, or could have done. The problems here are seemingly deep and long-lived...not simply a one-time mistake. Think; major overhaul.

Now, I understand that this is not only a suburban area, in which this property seems to primarily serve as full-time residence for most occupants, but quite reasonably priced. That said, it really needs to find its grounding and decide whether it wants to solely provide long-term dwellings to the transient, or be attractive to those travelers visiting, or doing business in Denver, less than 10 miles away.

I've been to several Extended Stays and this property is wholly sub par for the brand. While I may personally stay somewhere like this while in need of inexpensive lodging, I would NEVER bring my wife and child here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Denny C
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Denny - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am truly sorry that you were not informed that your package had arrived by the front desk. In response, I am speaking with the staff to ensure we communicate these types of things to our guests moving forward. As well, please know, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and inspection policies. We are also striving to revamp our offerings overall for guests to better enjoy.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here with my husband as we were displaced and looking for a new home and we were very diappointed, the room was dirty upon check there was dog hair all over the place as well as dog food on the carpet and we didnt have a dog..hmm. the ceiling was bubbling, the internet connection was a joke, we tried to check out early since we found a house and were told that we couldnt check out because we were going to owe money...who does this? charge you for a room that you didnt even stay in? be very careful when you stay here. The parking lot is very unsafe, police 24/7 because of all of the break ins. we were very diappointed and should have saved ourselves the 500 dollars that we spent for the twelve days when we only stayed 9 of these days and there was never a manager available to refund us the money that we are owed. NEVER EVER WILL I STAY HERE AGAIN OR RECOMMEND THIS PROPERTY TO ANYONE-THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY

Room Tip: dont waste your time or money by staying here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank 1503hyna
Thank you for the feedback about your stay at our hotel. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness of your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be working to improve our cleaning procedures to make sure your experience is not repeated. As well, I am sorry that we were unable to refund your money, regardless of the number of nights you chose to stay at the hotel. At this time, we offer a weekly rate which must be paid ahead of time in order to get the cost savings and a daily rate which can be paid as you go. Since you were booked under the weekly rate, we were unable to refund your money. Regardless, I will be working with my staff to ensure this message is conveyed better at time of booking and will make sure we offer guests another room should this type of situation arise again in the future.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at thr@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Where to start…… Well at first we chose this place because there website showed it was a good/safe place to stay. But boy was I wrong!! Let me start by saying there front desk staff is young and inexperienced an very unprofessional!! The room that was given was TERRIBLE!! When we first opened the door to the room it reeked soo bad and the place looked dirty, I complained to the front desk and they said housekeeping would not be available to us until the 7th day which to me is ridiculous! Well as we looked further the paint was chipping from the walls in the bathroom things did not function right there was water mold on the shower head, the tiny kitchen was ok but the fridge was dirty looked like it had not been clean in a month the sheets were just out right nasty we had to go out an purchase our own sheets and blankets to put on the bed!! And the noise level in this place is crazy children running up and down hallways and music blasting an people fight an shouting that you can hear them through the walls!! So I have to say please DON’T waste your money or time in that place it not worth it they should be ashamed to have a place like that and charge the rates they do for this disgusting place!!!

Room Tip: No room is good here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mi_Honey
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. First, I'd like to apologize that you received poor, unprofessional service from my staff. I will be meeting with our front desk staff to discuss customer service standards to ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, I'd like to apologize that you had such severe cleanliness issues in your room. I will be meeting with my housekeeping staff to review cleanliness standards so that your experience does not happen again. Lastly, I'd like to apologize for the noise disturbances you experienced due to other guests at our hotel. I will brief my front desk staff on how to better address noise issues with guests to prevent such things from happening in the future. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Oregon
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I and my family came here to stay for a month. At first it seemed fine and reasonably situated with walking paths nearby, but things went downhill rapidly. We first stopped to look here and had to wait till the afternoon to see a room. So we took a drive to look at the Crossland Studios by the airport. The neighborhood there looked awful, so we returned, exhausted, signed the agreement, then went into our room. This was a tiny room with 2 queen-size beds for the 4 of us. Not terrible, but the furniture is cheap, the kitchen minimal. Some of the furniture was delaminating. Wifi performance was worse than dial-up. For an extra fee you can buy what is billed as "up to 2 times faster". Twice nothing is still nothing, so we passed. With luck, you can get your email to load. Don't even hope for streaming audio or video.

After a few days, a drug dealer moved in next door to us. Loud music in the middle of the night, frequent visitors (the security doors were frequently propped open). Complaints to the front desk were useless. They suggested *we* call the police. After a few days they were kicked out.

Most days would find anywhere from 2 to 5 police cars parked in the lot for various problems. At one point a substitute worker from a different hotel was working the desk and made a surprised comment after seeing how much we were paying. I looked back at our agreement and realized they had charged us the daily rate rather than the weekly rate and apparently there were even lower rates, but they wouldn't change or refund the difference. That was the last straw. We didn't feel safe there to begin with, so moved to the Extended Stay Cherry Creek facility. A phone call to Crossland customer service proved useless too. Sorry we're unhappy, can't correct the billing. Too bad, so sad.

Note that Crossland Studios are the lowest-end version of a series owned by the same corporation. The next step up is Extended Stay America, then Homestead. Turned out Extended Stay Cherry Creek was cheaper and much nicer (though I really wouldn't recommend any of them). The Crossland a few blocks away from there was a dump and they quoted a higher rate than the better furnished Extended Stay.

Bottom line, steer clear of this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rrankeney
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel a few months ago and loved it. Was a great clean room and we couldn't ask for more. So we returned and asked for our room back we were staying for a week and I called and reserved it. When we showed up, our reservation "cancelled" its self out of their system, so after 20 minuets of going back and fourth we were given room 126, which leaked terribly and on Friday we began to complain told the manager would be in with the maintenance on Saturday which wasn't true we wanted out of our room as it continued to leak all over my boyfriend spent all weekend bailing water out of the kitchen in the room and we couldn't even get our money back because the manager wasn't there, and no one else could help us. Monday night we went to the office again, and was told the manager would be in on the following morning to open and she would help us then. We are only getting a refund for the nights we still had remaining even though this issue was put off tor three additional days and no resolve during our time there several other people came in on Monday evening and could not get an attendant one man banged on the door for 30 min because his room key no longer worked he finally gave up and just left. I have was very shocked how this was handled and will never go back, oh and the refund has to be sent from Corporate in check form, and we paid cash for the room. & days we got 3 days back. They are lucky my boyfriend bailed the water or they would be replacing the kitchen floor and carpet. It's a shame and I am disappointed in how this was handled.

Room Tip: Room 133 is great unfortunately I cant say I'm pleased with either the staff or the room we were...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charlotte R
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Charlotte - Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. The problems that you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. I am disheartened to read that your reservation was cancelled by accident and that there was a communication error about the plumbing issue in your room. To prevent these types of situations from happening again, my team has implemented a more detailed communication log so that all of the staff has the same understanding and expectations of how to handle any issues that come up in a timely and efficient manor.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had to defrost the freezer to get the refrigerator to cool, the toilet tank was leaking on the floor, the Wifi was so slow that one could not view video, the non-smoking room smelled of smoke. An article accidentally left in the room, could not be retrieved by a friend passing through the area the very next day! We were told the following day it had been trashed. In the 7 days I was there, it was not cleaned once. Cigarette butts & dog feces outside abound. The bed was comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank janthepayne
Broomfield, Colorado
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The room was a nice size, but it smelled like smoke even though it was a NON Smoking room!!! There was not a lot of noise for being by a busy street and highway. It was not the worst Hotel I have stayed at but it is not the best either, I thought it was a little high in price for the room, but overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Ashley - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We appreciate the kind comments about your stay at our hotel; however, we apologize that your room had a smoke smell. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are going to treat the rooms with a smoke eliminator prior to a guest checking in to help prevent the rooms from smelling like smoke moving forward.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please feel free to contact me directly, at thr@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton
Super 8 Westminster Denver North
Cottonwood Suites Westminster
Cottonwood Suites Westminster
#17 of 19 in Westminster
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Denver North
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Thornton
Hampton Inn Denver North / Thornton
Drury Inn & Suites Denver Westminster

Been to Crossland Economy Studios - Denver - Thornton? Share your experiences!