“The owner and his sone were RUDE and CHEAP!!!”

Econo Lodge Thornton - Denver North
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Thornton
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I checked into the hotel and everything was O.K. the first night. I Ieft the hotel the next day intending to give the maid time to clean my room. I informed the front desk I was leaving and the maid could clean the room. I came back back 3 1/2 hours later. When I got back my room key would not work, the owners son swiped the wrong room # on the replacement key, but luckily the front desk clerk caught it before I went back up to the 4th floor.The owners son thought it was a joke and was laughing. When I got to the room, it had not been cleaned, but worse of all the air conditioning was not working in my room and the rest of the hotel was very warm also because either the air worked very little or the owner was trying to save money. I say this because they offer a very very small continental breakfast offering and a community margarine bowl. Loke all the guest are one big family. It's onthind seeing toast crumbs of my family, but I do not fine it appetizing pushing my knife into a bowl to get margarine with "mysterious" peoples bread crumbs in it. (keep in mind I stay in hotels on business 340 days a year). It was 98 degrees that day outside. Needless to say my room was an oven. Probably 105-110 degrees or more I would guestimate. The owner told me to wait and he would send someone up to fix the air conditioner. Fifteen minutes later I went downstairs and voiced my complaint. The owners son thought it was humorous, however I did not. Whereupon the owner got involved and I asked if I could switch rooms. He told me that no rooms were cleaned yet. Yet this was at 2:30 in the afternoon ? (checkout at the hotel 11 a.m.) And the made was knocking at doors at my level at 8:30 a.m. to see which guests had left so she could clean their rooms.
I asked the owner that since the room had not been cleaned and I had been out of the room since 11 am if I could get a refund and not stay a second night. The owner said I could not and if I chose to leave he would not refund my money. He told me at one point to go back up to my room and wait for the guy to fix the air conditioner. I said, "what? Are you ordering me to my room? He aid yes, you just go!" I am a fifty year old woman and could not belleive this guy was ordering me to my HOT room like I was a 6 year old. I told him I would go out for an hour and that whould give them enough time to fix the issues. Again the owners son smirked like the spoiled rotten child he was (he was 16 years old at best) I
went over to the RAMADA across the street to kill the time and enjoyed their cool air conditioned lobby. I spent (3) 20 minute phone calls and talked to two custoner service people and 1 supervisor only to be told by the people at the corporate 800# that the only thing I could gdo was I could file a complaint only after I checked out of the hotel and no one would give me a refund and once I filed the complaint at corporate, it would be sent on to the owner for a response. And\, "He would decide what to do about the situation. WHY i ASKED HER SHOULD i EVEN CALL BACK AFTER i CHECKED OUT TO EVEN FILE A COMPLAINT IF IT WAS ONLY GOING TO GO IN A LOOP? No wonder the owner did not care, and ordered me to my room like I was in some 3rd world country. I was a paying guest and only expected the basics. Nothing fancy, just a reasonable request. I DECIDED TO CHECK INTO THE RAMADA. I will be staying in the area every weekend in the future due to business, but it will never be at the Sleep Inn. I went back to the sleep in and checked out and I paid foe two htel rooms only to sleep in one!!! I told the owner to take my $ and what he could do with it on my way out. I hope by typing this review, it will hurt his revenue in the future. He may get my $ for one night , but he will probably lose more of his in the future. I truly call this experience to put in old school terms a TOTAL RIP OFF. I hope he spendsmy 80 bucks on a great Dinner for himself and chokes on it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank businesstraveler1233
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Thornton - Denver North

Reviewed July 1, 2011

Question: how do you drive a new BMW? Buy a Sleep inn and run it into the ground. This place is full because of choice hotels.(.) Choice needs to rough up cheap bums such as these clowns. Staff is busting butt while gym equipment is busted and gym hot as hell. room carpet was dirty -spread had a burn hole in our NS room. For seeing Denver area you cant beat this location.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Yesandnomads
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We paid $78 for one night here and it was not worth the money. The staff were not particularly friendly or helpful. We had to switch rooms because the AC was not working. Our second room was fairly clean, but small and a bit "tired". The breakfast area is tiny and the selection very limited. The location is good for restaurants and stores just a short walk away. There are lots of hotels in the area, so I'd recommened staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ccfc1968
Reviewed June 13, 2011

If you need an inexpensive room this is fine. Walk to restaurants. Small parking lot.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed June 9, 2011

The staff was very hospitable and the room was exceptionally clean (my favorite part of the stay). I was in town for business and was very impressed with the internet speeds at the hotel, it was faster than being at home on my high speed line.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Had to stay in hotel while semi truck was in the shop. Stayed for 5 days. This is not the fanciest hotel but its nice and clean and they are in process of remodeling. Big rooms and lots of restaurants and grocery stores near by.The thing we were impressed with was the staff. Everyone was so nice and even though busy still stopped to chat with you. Anytime there was any problem they were quick to fix it and with a smile. every shift was like this! Very enjoyable stay. I would defiantly stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2011

first of all when we arrived to check in the front desk clerk was no where to be found!! we had to ring a bell several times.. when she finally arrived she was very rude!!!even though my card was already on file she asked for it again swiped it and told me it was declined.. no was possibe.. i asked her to run it again and it went thru.. faulty card reader maybe?!!?!! when we got up to our room you could tell they hadnt temperature controlled the room.. i found a hair in the sink!!! no extra toiletries in the bathroom!!! the carpet was worn and rolled up and you could tell maintenance hadnt kept the room up...this is unacceptable!!!! we went out to dinner that night and upon our return our keys didnt work.. when we went down to the front desk to have them re-keyed the fd clerk was once againg very rude and seem that she was bothered by having to do her job!!! but the worst was yet to come!! THIS HOTEL IS INFESTED WITH BED BUGS!!! when i mentioned this to a houskeeper the next morning she told me that the owner was aware of this and refused to do anything about it!!! i was forced to speak to the front desk manager about this b/c the general manager was unavailable!!!! she told me she didnt know anything about the situation.. how is that when all of houskeeping was!!! after speaking to her about it i was only partially reimbursed!!!!!! i am shocked!!! how could an owner of any establishment knowingly not do anything!!! never again will my husband and i stay at this hotel!!! i had to got to a doctor to get medication for my bites!! which i had all over my body!!! i had to have my clothes washed before returning home!! and my vehicle detail for fear they would hitch hike home with me!!!! horrible experience!!! one thing i noticed was a diamond plaque on their wall!!! how is that!!???!! i think it was a fake... those ones the companys send out as a sample!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jacsnc2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton
Hampton Inn Denver North / Thornton
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Denver - Thornton
Super 8 Westminster Denver North
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Denver North
La Quinta Inn Denver Northglenn
La Quinta Inn Denver Northglenn
#16 of 19 in Westminster
Ramada Plaza Northglenn/Denver North

Been to Econo Lodge Thornton - Denver North? Share your experiences!