“My son's first 14er at 14 y/o!!”

San Juan Outdoor Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Telluride's Premier Source for Mountain Adventures Based out of Telluride since 1981. We provide the industry's highest quality tours and create comfortable outdoor experiences for people of all ages and abilities. We offer Rock climbing, Ice Climbing, Hiking, Via Ferrata tours, Backcountry skiing, snowshoeing, Tecnical peak assents, camping, backpacking and much much more!
Reviewed July 9, 2016

My son and I had a wonderful experience climbing Wilson Peak (14,017') with knowledgeable guide, Jayci. First we spent a half day learning mountaineering skills which was not only fun but invaluable for my 14 y/o son. It was also a refresher for me as I hadn't climbed any big mountains for 20 years. Also, all of the climbing gear was provided. The owner, Josh, was very helpful in scheduling our climb based upon a good weather forecast. Our incredible 12 hour climb included using crampons, ice axes, harnesses, helmets and ropes and Jayci's climbing knowledge made us feel secure by using terrain belays in difficult sections. It enabled us to summit on the most spectacular day and my son felt like he was on TOP OF THE WORLD! We look forward to climbing more peaks with Jayci and San Juan Adventures next summer.

1  Thank Lynda0422

Reviewed March 19, 2016

I cannot say enough good things about Joshua and San Juan Outdoor Adventures. While this was my first experience with San Juan Outdoor Adventures, Josh had worked with the group of Telluride Adaptive volunteers and instructors before on safe backcountry travel and avalanche education in previous years. I can see why they have continued to choose Josh's company over others. Our group consisted of people with varying levels of physical abilities and experience levels. Josh and Coop did a tremendous job in challenging everybody; sharing their tremendous wealth of knowledge of the area/terrain/domain; being very safe; and incredibly fun. I am very much looking forward to seeking out San Juan Outdoor Adventures the next time I am back in Telluride for ice-climbing and backcountry skiing.

Reviewed March 18, 2016

We were just on a 3-1/2 guided trip into the Alta Lakes backcountry with Josh Butson. He's a super nice guy, very experienced and knowledgeable, and an excellent teacher. He taught us a lot about avalanche safety and rescue (I hope the safety info lets me avoid using the rescue info), and took us into some nice backcountry areas while we dialed in our own particular systems.

From talking to him, it's clear tat his knowledge extends deeply into rock- and ice-climbing as well. Highly recommended. I say this isn't for "thrill seekers", because that's kind of the opposite of what you should be looking for when doing technical sports like skiing in avalanche zones, and rock- and ice-climbing.

Reviewed August 3, 2015

My wife and I just finished a day of spectacular climbing with JC our guide on Thursday. We got to experience some vertical climbing/cracks and chimneys’; go over anchors; and lots of smiles!! JC was a great guide to have introduce us to the ropes and get us on some fun and challenging rock on the mountain. Always professional he made us feel challenged yet always safe. Extremely knowledgeable outfit and we would recommend them to anyone looking to experience the thrill of rock climbing. Thanks for a GREAT DAY JC !!!!!!
Matt and Rebecca