“Telluride Backcountry travel and avy education”

San Juan Outdoor Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Telluride's Premier Source for Mountain Adventures Based out of Telluride since 1981. We provide the industry's highest quality tours and create comfortable outdoor experiences for people of all ages and abilities. We offer Rock climbing, Ice Climbing, Hiking, Via Ferrata tours, Backcountry skiing, snowshoeing, Tecnical peak assents, camping, backpacking and much much more!
Reviewed March 19, 2016

I cannot say enough good things about Joshua and San Juan Outdoor Adventures. While this was my first experience with San Juan Outdoor Adventures, Josh had worked with the group of Telluride Adaptive volunteers and instructors before on safe backcountry travel and avalanche education in previous years. I can see why they have continued to choose Josh's company over others. Our group consisted of people with varying levels of physical abilities and experience levels. Josh and Coop did a tremendous job in challenging everybody; sharing their tremendous wealth of knowledge of the area/terrain/domain; being very safe; and incredibly fun. I am very much looking forward to seeking out San Juan Outdoor Adventures the next time I am back in Telluride for ice-climbing and backcountry skiing.

Reviewed March 18, 2016

We were just on a 3-1/2 guided trip into the Alta Lakes backcountry with Josh Butson. He's a super nice guy, very experienced and knowledgeable, and an excellent teacher. He taught us a lot about avalanche safety and rescue (I hope the safety info lets me avoid using the rescue info), and took us into some nice backcountry areas while we dialed in our own particular systems.

From talking to him, it's clear tat his knowledge extends deeply into rock- and ice-climbing as well. Highly recommended. I say this isn't for "thrill seekers", because that's kind of the opposite of what you should be looking for when doing technical sports like skiing in avalanche zones, and rock- and ice-climbing.

Reviewed August 3, 2015

My wife and I just finished a day of spectacular climbing with JC our guide on Thursday. We got to experience some vertical climbing/cracks and chimneys’; go over anchors; and lots of smiles!! JC was a great guide to have introduce us to the ropes and get us on some fun and challenging rock on the mountain. Always professional he made us feel challenged yet always safe. Extremely knowledgeable outfit and we would recommend them to anyone looking to experience the thrill of rock climbing. Thanks for a GREAT DAY JC !!!!!!
Matt and Rebecca

2  Thank Matt M
Reviewed July 11, 2014

telluride has one of the few Via Ferratas in the united states. we did the half day trip and it was thrilling and challenging. perfect way for people who aren't climbers to get up into the Mountain and get the experience of being on the rock face. We had a great guide, JC, would was fantastic. if you spend any time in telluride, this is a must do.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I did a half day ice climb with Josh. He was a great guide and very knowledgeable. He took us to a fall that wasn't crowded (only two other climbers that left soon after we arrived) which contributed to the experience. My wife is a zero experience climber and Josh made her feel comfortable and she managed to get just under halfway before she came down. I managed 4 climbs on two routes in about 2.5 hours. Could've done more but we were running late bc I left my gloves in my room and we had to turn back.

Don't be afraid of varying experience levels, Josh was great flexing from me to my wife. A great date for adventurous couples. Take a lot of warm clothes, and good gloves. Josh brought snacks and water and provided all the technical gear. Definitely do a full day if you can spring for it.