“A New Telluride Tradition”

Chop House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chop House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 66 Restaurants in Telluride
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oak Street
Transit: From Gondola Station: Walk straight up Oak Street through Elks park and we are straight ahead, right next to the clock tower. Galloping Goose Bus Station: We are 20 feet from the Courthouse Galloping Goose bus stop. Galloping Goose Bus Station: We are 20 feet from the Courthouse Galloping Goose bus stop.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The New Sheridan Chop House is pretty much the only game in town for serious meat eaters. Luckily, it doesn't disappoint. The menu offers the standard complement of properly-cooked steaks (plus a tasty dry-aged bison ribeye), in addition contemporary mountain preparations of fish, game, and other proteins. Appetizers run the gamut from salads and steakhouse favorites to more innovative dishes like a lox-tasting tea-smoked salmon with microgreens that perplexed on a recent visit. You want oysters? They've got 'em--although I wonder why anyone would want an oyster at 8,700 feet.

While I have never considered the cuisine at The Chop House to be cutting edge, I hear that the proprietor and chef recently traveled to New York to gather some ideas to bring back to Telluride. We sampled the new menu just a couple of days after it debuted, so I can forgive the trespass of an overcooked Danny Meyer-style tuna burger. Yet somehow, to eat foo-foo food at the New Sheridan is to miss the point. The best evenings there are boozy and beefy and, naturally, it doesn't come cheap. The room is sexier than most in town, the bar more adept, and the service a notch more responsive than many places around town. Telluride's Victorian opulence is most effectively celebrated with a leisurely dinner at The New Sheridan.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This restaurant is absolutely wonderful and likely surpasses the best NYC steakhouses that I've eaten in. Low-key, but extremely attentive staff makes it a comfortable place for friends and families alike. Went with my wife on 5-18-13 for the first time and can go on-and-on-. Warmly greeted, extensive wine selection, soup, salad and steaks done to perfection. Desert was amazing and left with a feeling that I wished this place was closer to where I live back east.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The New Sheridan Chop House in Telluride, Colorado has a good menu and a great atmosphere. Unfortunately I am on a gluten free diet and was met with resistance and rudeness for the two times I have tried the restaurant.

During my first visit I ate dinner at the bar. The bartender checked with the kitchen to find out what was gluten free and was kind and friendly during our conversation. However a few minutes later he brought me a basket of bread.

The next visit was worse. The server was very rude and her first question to me was, "Is this a requirement or a preference?" I was asking a few questions regarding 2 menu items and whether they were gluten free and her response was, "It doesn't have much gluten so it shouldn't hurt you." There was no flexibility - she refused to ask the kitchen if they could grill the fish on the salad rather than fry it in the pistachio/flour mixture.

If you don't have dietary restrictions this is a good restaurant to visit but I wouldn't go there if you have food allergies, dietary restrictions or are a picky eater.

1  Thank edebivort
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Loved the menu choices. From Elk steaks to 30 day dry aged Bison. Had great service, drinks and food.
Very historic sheridan building with the dining side having been restored. The bar side has been left 90% original according to the bartender. We would love to go back.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were in for dinner on 3-19-13. We have eaten here many other times and have never been disappointed. On this night I had the elk loin, which was perfectly cooked and delicious, my husband had a NY strip, also perfect. The other couple dining with us had a filet and the bison, both of which were cooked perfectly and were very good. I had a wonderful cocktail, that unfortunately I don't recall the name of. :-( It was from their cocktail list. Our waiter was attentive and very personable. With dessert I ordered a glass of port, which I accidently turned over almost immediately. They were kind enough to replace it at no additional charge.
We are in Telluride several times each year and always look forward to getting back to the Sheridan Chop House!

1  Thank endosunshine