“Pretty good”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
texas
“Pretty good”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We had dinner at this restaurant while visiting Telluride. The food was overall pretty good.

We had the carpaccio for appetizer, which is outstanding. Then I had the halibut, which was good, but not the best. Also, it was not the largest of portions either and it was approx $32.

The chocolate espresso mousse is AMAZING! We also tried the tiramisu which was mediocre. Bottom line, some things are great and some are average. Guess you have to know what to order??

Dallas, Texas
“Well, we had good food here”
Reviewed August 21, 2010

While I note that several people have had not so great experiences here, we had dinner here on a recent Thursday evening and enjoyed it. We sat at the bar (they tried to sit us in the side room, so we moved to the bar for fear of bad service in the out-of-sight, out-of mind section of the restuarant). The service was great at the bar, and we liked the food. The menu featured several seasonal items (like mushrooms). We shared a bottle of wine that was roughly twice retail but not over-priced (particularly for Telluride).

“Hands down the worst restaurant...”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Hands down the worst restaurant experience I've had in a long time. Once the waiter found out our party would not be drinking that night he was immediately cold and unfriendly. They don't offer refills on soft drinks, (and the drink size was tiny!) the food was NOT good-the marinara tasted like it was straight out of a Ragu jar. The service was extremely slow, and he refused to split our check. We had to do it ourselves. The atmosphere was nice and the table was beautiful, although I have no clue why people would think this would be a good restaurant for kids.

Houston, TX
“Had an enjoyable happy hour”
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We have dined at Rustico several times in the past with mixed results, and while we agree with some of the reviews, particularly on price/value, it is Telluride and Rustico has the some of the best service - comparable to high end restaurants in major cities. we have seen. Our recommendation is to have wine and appetizers on the patio in the late afternoon/early evening. They fired up the patio heaters for us eventhough it was not that cold (yet), wines were decent - $9-10 and appetizers good.

Denver, CO
“Unabashed RIP OFF!!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Firstly, let me say that I spend plenty of time in resort towns, so sticker shock is not something that's new to me. I also understand that restaurants very commonly mark their wine up 200, 300, even 400%.

We stopped into Rustico for lunch. The food was good, the service was good. Why one star? Because they very purposefully ripped us off.

When we were seated, the server asked us if we would like a beverage. I asked about a wine list and he offered to bring a 'bottle list'. I asked about wines by the glass, he started reciting the offerings - a prosecco, a pinot grigio, a gavi, etc.

I asked about the producers, he rattled off the producers of the wines. No mention of prices and he was unable (unwilling??) to provide me a written wine-by-the-glass list.

We ordered two glasses of the gavi. This is not Cortese di Gavi, which is high quality and (rightfully) expensive - this is your basic Gavi - simple, fruity and typically retailing between $10 & $16 in the US. This means the restaurant probably paid between $6 and $10 for the bottle. Based on the quality of the wine, I'd say this bottling was likely closer to $6 cost.

Suffice to say I was surprised to see that we paid *** $12 *** PER GLASS *** for this simplistic, usually inexpensive wine. Somewhere in the neighborhood of an 800% markup. At best, this can be considered price gouging - and that's if I knew the price before buying. By hiding the price as long as possible, it's beyond gouging - it's a calculated ripoff.

Shame on you Rustico. I know you can usually fleece the typical well-heeled Telluride customer and get away with it - but you really should think about dialing your wine prices back to a decent level when there's a wine festival in town and you know that there's a good chance you'll be trying to fleece wine professionals - which is what you did in my case.

Charge what you want, let the consumer decide. But at least allow us the chance to make an informed decision - PRINT YOUR WINES BY THE GLASS - WITH PRICES. That way, I can see that you are ripping your customers off and avoid being one of the unfortunates that gets taken.

There are much better restaurants in Telluride - and most of them operate with a better set of ethics and morals than does Rustico.