“Can't Get Enough of Telluride”

The Hotel Telluride
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Telluride
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Telluride - is a precious mountain village in southwest Colorado. The name conjures images of awesome skiing, celebs, film festivals, the Telluride Blues and Brews Festival, charming Victorian homes and an influx of huge money from those who discovered it years ago. Telluride is a great place to live if you crave a right on laidback lifestyle, but if you dont have Ralph Lauren's bank account, this is the perfect mountain vacation destination to visit. The people of Telluride respect it so much the main street even retains character and apperance true to its old mining roots. There is no Starbucks, no Target, in fact no chain anything of any kind.

In keeping with Telluride's preservation of its past, The Hotel Telluride is a tasteful and beautifully modern hotel that blends so well with the neighborhood, you might miss it on your first driveby, Gas lanterns adorn the entrances, and a perfectly manicured exterior lends the appearance of a grand, stately old home. The only giveaway that you have arrived at The Hotel Telluride is its name displayed in tasteful script.

Upon arrival, I was greeted like an old friend by the front desk staff. The bellman was quick to unload my luggage and assist in making me comfortable in my well appointed suite. The spirit of welcome extended throught my entire stay. Every request was quickly accommodated in a friendly and respectful manner. I have never been so delighted with a hotel staff in all of my travels.

My suite was delightful. Vaulted ceiling, a leather headboard, gorgeous tasteful furniture, pretty dark wood blinds, large flat screen television, a wet bar, Aveda shampoos, soaps and lotions, and a balcony to enjoy. I had lots to do in Telluride, but returning each evening to my fabulous accommodations was such a lovely way to end the day. In addition, the hotel offers a fitness room with modern exercise equipment, bicycles and locks to borrow, hot tubs, warm chocolate chip cookies, an inviting lobby with fireplace and plush chenille sofas, and 'The Nook', a nice in-house restaurant and bar.

The hotel offers underground parking for $20 a day, or parking can possibly be found on the street. I was fortunate enough to find a space on the adjoining street, and left my car there the entire stay.

The Hotel Telluride is absolutely perfect - period. FYI: if you just cant get enough of it, you can buy a room or suite all your own. An on-site realtor can make your dream come true.

Room Tip: Top floor for a vaulted ceiling, Mountain view to take your breath away from your personal balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Secretariat1973

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We loved this hotel right at the end of the main street of Telluride. The front desk people served as great concierges and set up fly fishing and jeep tours for our family of four. They also were a big help with restaurant reservations. Our two rooms were cozy and the housekeepers were so nice. It was a great spot to see the town in summertime.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor seem to be the quietest.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Quiet location close to town, restaurants and shopping. The rooms are generous size, well designed and clean. Very nice lobby area with plenty of seating and fireplace. Small but full service restaurant on site. Staff is friendly and helpful and make you feel welcome.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was terrific. From the fresh iced tea, homemade cookies and fireplace in the lobby to the pillow menus in the rooms! The staff was attentive and helpful in every respect. The small restaurant off the lobby has good drinks and a delicious four cheese mac and cheese. The kitchenette and deck with views was plus! Stay here. You won't be disappointed. We are planning to return next year.

Room Tip: Corner rooms tend to be larger. Our bath was enormous too.
Reviewed August 17, 2012

2 nights here (I wanted to write this now before I forgot) in Room 316 which is a junior suite. Great. Comfortable bed/suede headboard across from living room like area with sofa and chairs and tv, plus nice deck overlooking the mountain in back, kitcheonette, and good bath. Tremendous service - when I just asked (at 7:30 pm) if the yummy chocolate chip cookies were still out (placed out at 4 pm), the staff immediately brought us some. It's that kind of place. It's not in the middle of town - maybe 1/2 mile from center/gondola - but they have a huge SUV to take you there. For $200/night it's a good bargain. So glad I didn't rent a condo in town as originally planned.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite. I think they have 2 in our type. Maybe 600 feet.
1  Thank wbere
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband, dog and I stayed 3 nights mid August. I intentionally chose a few days when the event calendar in Telluride was quiet. The hotel was offering a mid week special which brought the nightly rate into the reasonable range (except there is a 20% tax added to the bill and a $100 dog fee--a recent post said $50 which is incorrect). There was a large bicycle group in town and unfortunately for us, we had elephants clomping around in the room over us. They woke up by 6;15 am each day despite the a/c fan on low the entire night. I cannot give the hotel 5 stars due to the lack of adequate soundproofing between floors. We did not hear noise on either side of our room.

We learned that 2 rooms had toilets which were plumbed incorrectly. Our toilet had hot water. I cannot quite describe the feeling of sitting over very hot water! We had room 106 and had a fabulous quiet view of the high school athletic field and mountain. We had easy access out the door with our dog. The room was large and comfortable with 2 comfy large chairs as well as furniture on our private patio. The carpet in our room was stained and looks like it is ready to be replaced. Our room was quite dark because of the overhang of the porch above us. I would take the easy outside access over a brighter room. Everyone was so cheerful and friendly to us and our dog (which made us all happy). We found easy street parking and opted to make our own breakfast so I cannot comment on the breakfast served by the hotel. Our king bed came with a thick feather down bed under the fitted bottom sheet. Because my husband is allergic to feathers, we removed it, leaving an extra extra firm mattress (definitely no dips or sags!)..

We were highly underwhelmed by Brown Dog Pizza. However the front desk girl directed us to 221 S. Oak Street which may be our new favorite restaurant--it's that good. Definitely not inexpensive or for kids but worth the splurge. Everything we tried was memorable. Our first time experience to Telluride was delightful. We would definitely stay at The Hotel Telluride again and highly recommend others consider this hotel too.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the school side for quiet (although perhaps during the school year it could be noi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I expected more that what we received. The room has stains on the carpet. Stained towel and shower curtain. Black stains in the bottom of the shower. Someone cleaned the carpet and tried to get the black out of the bottom of the shower. They replaced the shower curtain. For the price, I expected the room to be clean without having to report the problems and try to get someone to correct it. They took $30 off of our bill. When we checked out, there was no electricity. I was half way through drying my hair when the electricity when out. I had to leave with wet hair and walk down the ramp to get the car in the dark. I would have thought they would have a generator, since the electricity goes out frequently. Fortunately, we were staying on the ground floor. Having a shuttle was very nice and handy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SantaFeSam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Telluride
Mountain Lodge Telluride
Hotel Columbia
Hotel Columbia
#2 of 11 in Telluride
Madeline Hotel & Residences, Auberge Resorts Collection
Madeline Hotel & Residences, Aub...
#2 of 7 in Mountain Village
The Victorian Inn
The Victorian Inn
#5 of 11 in Telluride

Been to The Hotel Telluride? Share your experiences!