“Told by a "local" to go here”

The Butcher & Baker Cafe
Ranked #10 of 67 Restaurants in Telluride
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A store owner advised us to go here. Great salads and wraps. We took them to the bluegrass festival and they were yummy!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Went here for a late lunch just before the July 4 holiday. This is a smallish cafe with counter service, and about a dozen tables (including two outside). The vibe is upscale and stylish but the place isn't expensive, at least by Telluride standards. There's cocktails in addition to beer and wine, which seemed odd to me for a lunch counter but appears to be the norm in this town.

We ordered sandwiches and drinks. I had egg salad, which came on a fresh crusty roll. The egg salad had mustard and dill in it, but was pretty bland tasting. It was heavy on the celery. My wife, however, had a turkey sandwich that was a revelation. The turkey was fresh roasted, a little dry (as roasted turkey can be), but it came with a tomatoe and balsamic relish which was pretty out of this world. It was a great sandwich.

The service was fairly quick, but definitely not with a smile. The gal at the counter was scowling and impatient, and saved her friendliness for locals that she knew. She only cracked a smile with me when she was telling me that they were out of the kind of cookie I wanted. Glad I made her day.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I fell in love with this little sandwich shop as soon as I walked passed it. I hate eating alone so I waited til friends finally got into town and we headed there for lunch. They split the steak sandwich but I couldn’t resist the breakfast burrito. I was too late for the sausage burrito but there was one left, sans sausage. SO GOOD. There was corn in it which just sent me to heaven. I couldn’t resist getting a chocolate chip cookie for the road. I saved it for my flight home and enjoyed every second of it.

The café seems to be a nice spot for locals to meet up, talk, do a little computer work and just relax in a very nice, bright, sunny space. Smiles came easily from those coming and going. Yes, I enjoyed it that much.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Tiny space and good food. We enjoyed the variety of fresh and local ingredients being used.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I loved this cafe--excellent food, perfect for lunch. And delicious baked goods. The acorn squash is obviously a hit there because it was long gone by the time I arrived. Highly recommended for breakfast or lunch.