“Roudy is awful with children”

Telluride Horseback Adventures - Ride with Roudy
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Roudy was verbally abusing his employees when we arrived, but really crossed the line when he humiliated my seven year old son in front of the entire group of riders because he was nervous about getting on the horse. Roudy first yelled at my son for not being tough enough, and then yelled at his employees for not screening the guests more thoroughly. My son and I decided to not ride with this lunatic, and waited at the parking lot for my ten year old daughter and my husband who continued on the ride. When they returned, they said Roudy was insulting and rude throughout the entire ride. At the end of the trip, Roudy was rude to me, and was arrogant enough to autograph a poster that he insisted my daughter take with her. She left it in the rental car as trash. Although we enjoyed everything else in Telluride and will return to visit often, we will never return to Roudy's. He is truly awful. When tourists say that he is a local legend, it is because he has told them that. In contrast, if you ask the locals around Telluride, you will find out the truth- that he is an embittered lunatic who is unable to get along in society, follow rules, or be helpful at all. In medicine, we call that type of personality sociopathic, completely lacking empathy or remorse.

13  Thank rsc621
"mountains"
in 6 reviews
"snow"

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have ridden with Roudy twice, and it's always a treat. We'll return on every trip to Telluride. Roudy is a marketing genius and a genuine character: He's a local legend. Don't miss meeting him. He has a great track record of safety because he is so careful about taking care of his horses and his clients. If you want to have a wonderful ride on high quality horses and view some of the most stunning vistas in the US, this is a great choice. If you want a concierge who will pamper you and agree with everything you say, then stay home. We rode with the same young lady two years in a row, and she loves working with him. We loved riding with him!

2  Thank Susan M
Reviewed June 5, 2013

If you are thin skinned, don't believe in child discipline or are staunch supporters of unions and entitlement programs, then stop reading this review right now. Roudy will eagerly offend you in ways you've never heard of and be exceptionally proud of himself when you leave an emotional mess.

On the other hand, if you came to Telluride to enjoy just a little bit of the old west and see the San Juans in all their glory then book a ride with Roudy. He is as real as it gets and doesn't give a hill of beans about what you think of him. He has a staff of about 8 wranglers who are all pretty girls from 16ish to 28ish and he berates them like nobody's business if they are not doing exactly what they are supposed to do. However, the loyalty these girls show him is beyond compare because if you can work for this guy then you will learn life lessons that most young kids aren't afforded these days.

Be on-time, come dressed in the appropriate clothes and be honest about your riding ability and weight and you will have a ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE.

Coming to Telluride says something about you as a person. Riding with Roudy will only add to that.

4  Thank Larry M
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We wanted to horseback ride but when Roudy found out my husband was 225+ pounds (don't tell anyone but he is up to 260! Yikes!), he said he wouldn't do that to his horses. Then he called back later and came up with a fabulous idea: go for a sleigh ride at dusk. First we were offered to use the Outhouse. This was a first for me! The ranch buildings felt like they were from 1900 or earlier. His jingly draft horses with gorgeous tack were happy to do their job of pulling us around gorgeous mountain terrain in a wooden, roomy sleigh. We stayed warm underneath Elk skins while having some beverages provided for us. Alpenglow was all around us. My 10 year old niece sat up front with Roudy while he told us endless personal and local history. Roudy IS rowdy. This guy has been around the block. When the ride was over, he had set up hot chocolate and a hot fire in the pot belly stove...all ready for us. Loved the experience.

2  Thank maurymgn
See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've known this guy for over 20 years. He KNOWS HORSES. He does not suffer fools lightly. If you have an attitude, go somewhere else. But! if you want hear some of the funniest crazy non-stop stories, have a beautiful trail ride and learn what it is to be a free spirit then this is the place for you. Yep, he talks non-stop; and he is erudite, witty, and colorful. He may be omniscient. Come to think of it he told me he was. So, he must be. As for protecting your kiddy's ears from profanity and crudity, what they will hear from Roudy is probably tamer than what they hear on TV on on the schoolyard, so just smile and go with the flow. This will be the experience of a lifetime and an event to tell your grandchildren about. And you will have one hell of a good time! Just ask my wife. After her hat fell off the third time, which he managed to pick up without getting off the horse (amazing!) he kept it and wouldn't give it back and told her if she wanted it back he was going to staple it to her head. They made up; he gave it back; it didn't fall off again and they both had a good laugh over it. We had a beautiful trail ride and learned the meaning of life.
;-)
Highly recommended. Not for elitist, intellectual, pompous, over-educated, type-A hedge fund managerial types, but for the rest of us. Have a good time! As for taking a photograph with the sun three-quartered and to your back, Roudy's right. I'm a photographer, I know.

5  Thank BobPhotographer