“Ranch Wedding”

Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
J2Denver
“Ranch Wedding”
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Kudos to Devil’s Thumb Ranch! Our son was married there a couple of weeks ago and everything—facilities, food and service --were all first rate.
The facilities for an outdoor, Colorado style wedding are incredible—and amazingly convenient for those guests staying at the Ranch. We held the rehearsal dinner in a large white tent adjacent to the lodge. We were a bit concerned when we first saw it—just a bunch of picnic tables with a wood chip floor. However, by the time we arrived for the dinner the room had been made over with wonderful white table cloths, candles and flowers on the tables and it looked great. (The candles and flowers were courtesy of my wife so check that out if you are planning a dinner). It made for quite an “elegant” BBQ.
The wedding itself was held at the open field “wedding site” adjacent to the lodge—“rustic elegance” is the best descriptor. The Ranch staff fastened white cloths to the log benches where the guests sat. The view was extraordinary with a large meadow and snow capped peaks (even in late June) off in the distance framing the bride and groom. A couple of special touches characterized the care the DTR staff showed throughout the weekend. There was a table of water, iced tea and lemonade set up about 30 minutes prior to the ceremony--greatly appreciated on a very warm day. Secondly, while most of the guests sat in the sun on the log benches, the staff set up a few chairs, under an umbrella, for several of the older guests.
After the ceremony, we adjourned for cocktails to a patio about 100 yards from the wedding site, with the same spectacular meadow/mountain views (also overlooking the lodge pool). The appetizers were great, there were a large number of tables (with shade) for our guests and even a separate location for the children to get non-alcoholic drinks.
The wedding dinner was held in a large wood paneled room adjacent to the patio. (As I mentioned, Devil's Thumb is extraordinarily convenient with the rehearsal dinner, wedding, cocktails and dinner held in four separate and distinct venues—yet all within a couple hundred yards of each other. ) The room is essentially an old barn the owners purchased in the mid-west, brought to Colorado, and reassembled as the second floor of their activity center. We particularly liked the large barn style doors that opened to that spectacular Rocky Mountain view.
Dinner itself was terrific—the entrée was a choice of buffalo or salmon with a pear apple salad. Cooking for 145 people can be a challenge but the Ranch staff more than rose to the occasion.
Our guests also enjoyed the new lodge (open less than a year), particularly the generous size of the rooms and bathrooms. Several families stayed in the Ranch’s cabins, located about a half mile from the main lodge. There are two four bedroom units that worked really well for an extended family that made the weekend something of a family reunion.
Overall an extraordinary venue with a capable staff that knows how to handle a major event. I liked Devil’s Thumb so much I will be using it for a small corporate event as well!

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank J2Denver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Devils Thumb for the first three nights of our honeymoon. First of all, the 2 hour drive from Denver airport seemed like 45 minutes because of the gorgeous scenery. When we did get to the ranch we were blown away by the location.

Upon pulling up to the front door of the lodge, we were immediately greeted by an employee who offered to help with our bags. Check-in was extremely quick and easy, and we were given directions to our room. I highly recommend requesting a first floor room with a view of the continental divide. There is still some construction going on in the front of the hotel and the views on the meadow side would be less than ideal. The rooms themselves were amazing. There was a lot of attention to detail put into decorating the rooms in a ranch style without overdoing it. The bathroom has a large soaking tub and a beautiful stone shower. The bathroom floors were heated, although we didn't use them since we were there in July. The bed was large and comfortable, and the leather chairs next to the gas fireplace were plush and relaxing. The patio had a bench, two chairs, and a table, all made out of natural-looking rustic wood. As per my request, there was champagne on ice in the room when we arrived, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to have done. While we were sipping the bottle of champagne, the mini fridge in the room was a nice addition to keep the rest of our drinks cold.

The ranch has two restaurants -- a saloon and the Ranch House Restaurant. Both have full bars and a fair selection of wines & microbrew beers. We had both breakfast and dinner at the saloon, and both were fairly priced and exceptional. When they are able to, they use local meat and produce, and the freshness shows. In the Ranch House Resaturant, it is a bit more high-end. My wife very well versed on good food and were extremely impressed with the quality here. From start to finish, from service to food quality and presentation, everything was absolutely wonderful. There was a slight seasoning issue on one of the starters, but it was promptly taken care of and taken off the bill despite us telling them it was no big deal.

As for things to do around the rance, the hiking was gorgeous, the trails well-maintained, and the staff knowledgeable about the area and things to do. No staff at any time was rude or indifferent like some other reviews suggest. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anybody I know (and already have!).

• Liked — The view and luxury rooms
  • Disliked — We didn't stay longer
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Warren, VT
Reviewed May 23, 2008

What can i say. I was invited to go to Devil's Thumb for a technology user group (with 70 others) and as soon as we drove down the lane, i was amazed...colorado rockies at their finest.

Checked in and walked down the hallway to my room and boom - again, amazed...great bathroom with cowboy soaker tub, separate water closet and stand up shower, double sinks and nice finishes.

The bedroom had a great big couch, nice little desk, big windows, 2 dressers and a truly wonderful bed.

Then i wanted some amenities and help - and the Devil's Thumb staff fell asleep at the wheel.

First, TSA scared me into forgetting my toothpaste and shaving cream. So i walked down to the front desk(s) and asked if they had any - "yep, in the store over there". No pointing, no smile, just 'over there' - so i went in and found only Tom's brand natural stuff - $11. Ouch.

Second, i asked if something was wrong with the water (it is chalky white out of the sink). They said simply "it's well water". No fix, no explanation. [i have well water - it is filtered and not white]

Third, I headed down the the restaurant for breakfast before my conference the next morning at 6:30am. They open at 7:30am. My meeting was at 8am. Whatever.

Fourth, the internet (promised as 'high speed to all rooms') worked the first night, then not at all after that. We asked the front desk and they said "well we are having problems, can't do anythign about it". My fellow attendees had a cabin and they never got it back...and didn't get offered their internet fee back

Fifth, i was assisting with the conference and went to the meeting room early - no projector screen, no internet and no people around to help. I noticed a hardwired ethernet jack and tried it - nothing. So i found a maintenance guy, convinced him to open the electrical closet and found the patch panel was not connected to the switch - so i used my own patch cable and, bingo, high speed internet.

Sixth - I am here for a conference....the nicely appointed business center hasd anice table, spare Dell computer and fax/printer. So i connect to the printer and print out a draft copy of my presentation - 2 pages in, the printer is out of ink. I walk downstairs to the unhelpful front desk, tell them what happened and that not only will i need to print, but the 70 tech-saavy guests probably will...and she says "well i ordered some cartridges last week, but they are not in yet". No spares. Great.

Seventh - the last day, our conference goes from 9am-5pm, but obviously we have to check out before. So i head down the desk at 8:30 and ask if i could check out. The woman at the desk says "it's my first day, i don't know how" and that is it...so i sit, tired and upset, and wait for 10 minutes. Then i ask again and she repeats the same answer - no explanation. I kindly ask her to get someone who can, and she picks up a ringing phone and says "Devil's Thumb Ranch, can i help you", i walk to the building next door, 15 minutes late for the meeting. Then i run down at the lunch break to checkout and the manager, Thad, says it's going to take a while, but please vacate my room, people are trying to check in.

Dumbfounded, we all make jokes about the lack of customer service and lack of internet service (for this internet conference), roll my bags into the meeting and make it through the rest of the day and leave.

I leave you with this...it may have been shoulder season, it may have been their first few months in the new building, it may have gone from 3 guests to 75 guests in a matter of 24 hours, but it still does not excuse the horrendous service and complete disregard for guests needs I and others experienced.

I can summarize this whole experience with a phone call i had with my wife the second night on the cell phone "honey, you would love the room, the spa, the view, the pool and the restaurant - but you would have been so mad at the employees, you wouldn't have had the clear mind to enjoy them."

Needless to say, while Colorado is on the top of my list of beautiful America - i will never return or recommend Devil's Thumb to anyone i care about.

• Liked — comfort, quality and cleanliness of room and building
  • Disliked — service!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
17 Thank vhsteve
Reviewed April 23, 2008

Stayed at Devil's thumb end of March 2008 for some late season nordic skiing. It snowed six inches overnight and grooming was completed by 9 AM the next morning. This was during the end of the season. United Airlines lost our boots on the way down, but the nordic centre was more than able to fit us with boots that matched our pilot bindings on our skiis. We skiied for 2 days and stayed two nights. The lodge just opened at Christmas and was amazing. The rooms rule, pebbled shower, king size bed and best of all no TV. For TV lovers there is a games room and theatre in the basement. My wife's luggage was lost and the front desk let her use the staff laundry to wash the only shirt she had. United took two weeks to get our bags to us but at least we got them.

The skiing is first class and being Canadian we love cross country skiing. The breakfast was outstanding and the jam was the best jam I've ever had in my life. It was a berry mixture and it was "berry" good. Will definately stay here again and would encourage all skiiers to stay here as well. There is both skate and classic skiing and the trails are piston bully groomed. Beautiful. 9000 feet is hard on us from the prairies. We'll be back as soon as possible

• Liked — The Jam at breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Highlands Ranch, CO
Reviewed April 3, 2008

A girlfriend and I took her two young children and my two young children to the Ranch for a Spring Break getaway. The location is incredible, in a valley surrounded by snow-covered mountains. The Ranch is located within ten minutes of skiing, tubing, and other activities. The property contains a newly-built lodge and several cabins within walking distance from the lodge. The cabins are very nice and would be an excellent option for a romantic or familly vacation. The lodge, where we stayed, is good for someone who wants easy access to the restaurant or for families with kids who want to spend a lot of time in the terrific game room.

The lodge is gorgeous and represents what you would expect from a Colorado retreat. The rooms are a nice size and have unique Colorado-style furniture. The beds are high off the floor, big, and fluffy--very comfortable. There is a small refrigerator in the room and plenty of closet space. The bathroom features heated tile flooring, adjustable lighting, a big soaking tub, and a large walk-in shower completed surrounded by small stones. There are Aveda bath products and cloth robes. The rooms come without a TV, but you can ask for a small TV and DVDs to watch movies. The rooms are certainly NOT designed for someone with physical limitations, such as a senior or person with disabilities, because the room door requires a great deal of strength to turn the handle to open the door, the bed is so high off the floor, and the shower floor is covered in stone and not perfectly flat.

The basement holds a small theater, a fitness area, and a nice game room. Our kids LOVED the game room! There were two small bowling lanes, two pool tables, air hockey, a table shuffle board, two TVs, and some other games. There is a coffee shop and a restaurant within the lodge. In the building next door, there is a heated outdoor pool which is open during the winter, an outdoor hot tub, a steam room (which didn't smell good) and a sauna. There is a small library with games and books. There is also a shop to purchase outdoor clothing and rent ski equipment. Outside, there are trails for hiking and cross-country skiing. If you like cross-country skiing, you will LOVE this place. If you are like me and hate the cold, you will find that there is little to do. There are also sleigh rides available with campfires and s'mores-yummy.

As far as dining goes, the restaurant is open for all meals. The menu offers a good variety of items from burgers, salads, fish, chicken, pasta, etc. The food preparation is inconsistant. The pancakes with spiced (real) maple syrup was amazing one day and so-so another day. Dinner was good one evening, and not as great the next. There was a great kids menu and wax stix to keep them busy.

So the environment was great, the rooms were comfortable, the dining was overall fairly good, and the activities were fine. What made our stay not very good was the complete lack of service. The service was absolutely TERRIBLE. From the time we walked in and weren't sure we were in the right place because nobody greeted us, to the service in the restaurant that was non-existant, to newspaper bins that held newspapers that were two months old, to public bathrooms that had no toilet paper, to the front desk person who upon check out never asked us how things were or thanked us for staying, the service was horrible. The first night, I noticed that my outside window would not lock and I requested that someone fix it since I was on the first level with two children in the room. I had to leave a message for the front desk, they never called me back, I had to go to the lobby and the staff member was not helpful, and it took hours for them to get someone to my room.

My friend and I wanted so much to like our stay because we do like to go to the mountains frequently and love spa experiences. But I would not stay here again and I would not suggest this resort to most people. They offer weddings at the Ranch, and in NO WAY would I suggest getting married here because there is such a complete lack of service and hospitality.

If you are looking to go to a beautiful place where NOBODY will pay attention to you, then this is the ideal place.

• Liked — The room was very nice.
  • Disliked — Easy question - the service.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank DaphneBernstein
Brookhaven,Ms
Reviewed March 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for valentines week-end and had an amazing time! This place is so beautiful and the staff was perfect! The Lodge is incredible along with the food! Great Spa---we will return next year!

• Liked — Gorgoeus Bedroom with fireplace and the spa bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smilesaway7
Kansas City
Reviewed March 4, 2008

My family stayed at Devil's Thumb for our Feb. ski trip because it is hard to find a nice place to stay for less than a week. They were happy to have us for 1 night. They kept their gift/ski shop open for a few extra minutes so I could rent ice skates for my daughter to skate on their home made hockey ice. Everyone there was exceptionally nice. I had a nice conversation with the chef. The rooms and food were top notch. What a wonderful place. The food is not kid friendly I do have to say. Other than the food, my kids absolutely loved Devil's Thumb as well. I HIGHLY recommend Devil's Thumb to everyone.

• Liked — They knew us by name and it was ALL CLEAN CLEAN
  • Disliked — Gourmet food was not kid friendly....I loved it though.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Kidsluv2read
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabernash
Gateway Inn
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Trailhead Inn
Trailhead Inn
#2 of 15 in Winter Park

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!