“Extremely overpriced and dirty” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa

and 1 more site!
Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
Boulder, Colorado
“Extremely overpriced and dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We were so excited to go the ranch and were incredibly disappointed. The dirtiness and lack of service was shocking for a hotel with such a high prices. Upon arrival the women's Lobby bathroom was dirty and had trash all over the floor and counter. While in our cabin, my son was washing us hands and spilled water on the floor, I whipped it up with a towel and the towel turned black! It was so dirty my husband thought the grout was coming off the floor. I did the same thing in the living room and the towel was also black. We called the front desk and they offered to move us to another room and we got a key to see it and it was completely dirty also. In addition there were bugs in the towels put out by housekeeping and the toilet was do dirty I am not sure it had ever been clean. While at the pool I was enjoying the hot tub only to discover a bunch of dirty used band aids.
The service was slow and the food was not good, I felt like we were bring served by zombies- no energy and no personality! Things are very overpriced. We went to stables for a pony ride only to find out it cost $40! The stable manager seemed put out that we were there and asked where If I were staying at the ranch in a very unfriendly way. She told me she didn't have time to give a pony ride because she had "things to do" and went in her office and closed the door. We checked out the next day. The location has a pretty view but so do millions of places in colorado. I would not recommend staying here if you like a clean place and good service.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barbsiegogo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Englewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a very enjoyable time at Devil's Thumb, staying 3 nights at a room inside the main lodge (highly recommend the main lodge to stay with kids, very fun for them to move to/from the game room, play with the horses, etc). We had a meadow view room, which as a previous reviewer mentioned overlooks the parking lot - but surprisingly it is very private and quiet, more so than the mountain view rooms. We were VERY pleased with the room and bathroom.

The problem with the food at Heck's restaurant was simply that for a stay of 4 days you have to eat here for almost every meal, it is the go-to restaurant for this property (even if there is a fancier Ranch Restaurant and a small cafe with bad sandwiches). The menu does not provide enough of simple, well done dishes - pastas are overcooked to mushiness, and all other plates are very rich and trying to be trendier/more interesting than they should be. The food is great for one meal, but day after day eating here will make you wish for simple and tasty. Lots of seasoning, twists on old classics (why add black pepper to the batter for the kids' chicken tenders?), and not enough changes from day to day, so even if I wanted to stay longer at the ranch I wouldn't because I couldn't think of having to eat the same stuff at Hecks AGAIN.

Service at the ranch is fantastic. From all the international flair of the wait staff (most of them in exchange from Europe) to the attentive/super polite service at the front office there were no faults in service. They also seemed to know all of us by name, which is a great touch.

In terms of activities at the ranch: I had a difficult time scheduling them ahead of time because I did not know the ranch and how it all sits in the property. It seemed to me that the stables are kind of overbooked, and it would be nice if they could accommodate the guests in short notice in a better fashion - maybe allowing for extra spots for guests staying at the ranch. I don't want to be competing for time with day guests and if I want to add extra horseback riding trips for the next day I should be able to. I also firmly believe that guests should have better rates for the extra activities, as on a daily basis it all adds up and rates are very high. The stables are clearly a revenue center, when it should be more of an amenity for the guests (I don't mean it should be free, but why charge the same for guests and non guests, and why so much?).

The game room was a big hit with teens, and although almost every single game has to be paid for, it certainly gives everybody a chance to play (so no overcrowding). The bowling was super.

A few more scheduled activities that are free of charge, and a better menu at Heck's would have our family going back a few more times this year alone. We expect to be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PhantomOP_2013
Madras, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you want an incredible spa experience this is the place! From the front desk check in to the check out an overall great experience. As an experienced spa goer make sure you check in as far as possible before your treatment and relax outside in the hot tub that looks out to beautiful grounds with horses grazing in the pasture and the mountains in the background. The steam room and shower in between each makes it totally refreshing. If you are in the Winterpark area make sure to visit and the dining is also fabulous!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I almost hate to share, because then everyone will go! This is one of my (and my family's) favorite places in the world, and one that I hope to keep visiting for many years, summer and winter.

This trip, we visited in the summer, with my extended family. We stayed in one of the four-bedroom cabins. (We love the cabins, including loving the walk or ski to and from the main lodge-- people who prefer not to have a 10min or so walk each time they want the restaurant or activity center may prefer lodge rooms.) Beds are comfortable, the log construction perfectly suited the mountains, views are excellent, having a small kitchen for breakfasts and the occasional lunch or dinner was excellent. Only complaint from our group was only having 2 bathrooms for six adults and two kids, but ultimately it ended up working out just fine.

What really makes this place work, though, is the combination of two things-- the setting and the programming/activities. Having hiked and run regularly in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, above the resort, I have a special affection for this particular area. The peaks are gorgeous, and the valley where Devil's Thumb Ranch is nestled is just a gem. There are well-maintained trails everywhere, no matter your pursuit or ability level-- they can accommodate riding, skiing, trail running, mountain biking, hiking, and walking. The general vibe is *camp for everyone,* with activities from fishing to archery, guided hikes to laser biathlon (and, of course, XC skiing in the winter). There are good kids' programs for when the parents want a break (and the kids want to have a blast), a great family pool (with one of the best views I have ever seen from a hot tub), and a terrific game room and movie theater for the evenings with family. Camp, but with creature comforts for the adults. Including a spa... but I have never used it!

Of course, the reason many of us go to Devil's Thumb is the horses. I come from a ranching family, and most of us have been riding various disciplines for years. The stables were able to accommodate everyone, from the rank beginners to the most experienced, and we all had fun. Garth has put together an interesting and unusual herd (lots of draft horses and draft crosses, which is a fun thing for people to experience), and the staff at the barn are terrific. Nikki is able to really suss out what each group wants from their ride, and some of the adults in our group had a wonderful time riding more than once with with Louise, who did a great job of selecting mounts and terrain for us. My kids really enjoyed watching the horses get "jingled in" in the mornings, and driven back out to pasture at night, and it's fun to come across horses in different pastures when you are wandering the property. By the end of our stay, everyone had a favorite-- who knew I would like a Haflinger with Rod Stewart's hair as a mane?

If you like to feel like you're at camp, but then finish the day with a shower and a well-linened bed (instead of in a leaky tent), then this place is for you. Service is good, but informal (as suits the location and amenities), food is improving (we were VERY impressed with the new Food & Beverage Director, who was quite visible in the restaurants while we where there, down to expediting one of our lunches), and it's just generally a place that makes you feel relaxed and happy. It is a wonderful, wonderful family vacation spot, in a location that cannot be beat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MollHN
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have lived in Colorado for more than 30 years and have heard about the Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort a lot. We finally decided to visit it. It was wonderful! We had expected it to be very nice but far exceeded our expectations. We stayed in the lodge and the room was very nice, great luxurious king bed (my wife likened it to get into her cloud bed), large old fashioned soaking tub, walk-in shower, bath robes, etc., etc. We had a nice deck to have a cocktail and munches on.

The amenities we top notch. The Heck's Restaurant was very good (see my other review), the hot tub and pool were clean, warm and inviting with a great view. The activity shop was good. We went on a guided fly fishing trip (I am an avid fly fisher) and it was great fun, the wife really enjoyed it. I fished the on-site pond and the fishing was great, hooked a few really big fish and landed a few. Wife had a massage and she said it was excellent. It was a very nice spa. We never had time to take our bikes out on the trails (we were too busy enjoying the other stuff), maybe next time. All in all, very nice, highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get a room in the Lodge, first floor. They have a nice deck.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hays, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Not cheap, but we'll know next time how to reduce our bill. We did the whole tourist thing: rented bikes and fishing equipment, horseback riding, spa treatments, etc. We will bring our own bikes and fishing gear next time. The staff is AMAZING. Food is really good at Heck's. Spa is very nice. We had our 5-year-old son with us and he was in heaven. So many outdoor things to do. We walked to everything and enjoyed the grounds immensely.

Room Tip: Get a cabin!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I highly recommend Ranch Spa at Devil's thumb stables. The horses, wranglers, facility is top of the line. Priced extremely competitively for quality, & experience. Really was the highlight to our weekend.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve a trail time.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabernash
Wild Horse Inn
#4 of 25 in Winter Park
Trailhead Inn
Trailhead Inn
#2 of 15 in Winter Park

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!