“Comfy Mountain Getaway”

Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I had a one night break to get away from Denver. Our room was super cozy, with a great fireplace, comfy bed and the perfect setup. I don't know a better mountain getaway. The staff was kind and super helpful and we can't wait to go back. It is a great stay any time of year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slkleiner

Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you want to hit the slopes or even just relax Devil's Thumb is the place to do it. I came here with my family and enjoyed 3 nights one in a cabin, one in a suite, and one in a normal room. The cabin was very very cozy. My family and I enjoyed the luxury beds at the Ranch Creek cabin. In the suite, we lived in happiness. The deck was absolutely splendid!!! At night, we could walk out and take a look at every single star not one was not visible. The regular room was also fabulous. It was cozy and the bathroom was like a spa. Our plan every day was to either ski or hang out at the lodge. At the lodge, we swan in the family-friendly pool and soaked in the hot tub. The arcade room is my kids' favorite!! There is bowling, shuffle-board, air hockey, bubble hockey, pool, and foose-ball. Plus, not interested in games? Enjoy the theatre with nightly movies!! Family Movies at 6:00 pm and Adult Movies at 8:00 pm. Another activity at night is the camp-fire offering free s'mores and a gorgeous view!!! In the summer, horseback riding is a must do... The restaurants have amazing food and specialty family service. This lodge is ideal for every single family!! No matter what the age of children they will never want to go home. You will never forget this lodge, because I want to come back every single weekend!!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed in one of the dog-friendly cabins for my birthday weekend. The accommodations are fantastic; we loved the privacy and beauty of the cabin, the independent and self-catering possibilities, the fireplace, and the super comfortable bed. The setting is amazing. My birthday dinner at Heck's was great, but not as exceptional as we expected and had experienced there before. It is possible that their resources were taxed since it was a holiday weekend and there were also two weddings scheduled. Regardless, we will return and definitely plan on reserving one of the cabins.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

While those in my party with the need for speed hit the downhill slopes over spring break, I thoroughly enjoyed exploring mile after mile of beautifully groomed nordic track in one of the most breathtaking locations in the Rocky Mountains. It only took a couple of days in this luxurious resort tucked away from the main road before I felt purged of real world responsibilities and enjoyed kicking my feet up by the many fireplaces, enjoying apres ski libations with my family or stretching out to read a book on a sumptuous leather couch.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Love this place - from the location, decor, people, views, huge hottub!! It's off the main road about 3 miles so you feel like you are out in the woods away from the realities of the world! We stayed in the lodge from 9-11 Mar and went snow shoeing all afternoon on Sun! Beautiful views and the weather was perfect! We saw several people out cross country skiing but didn't run into another snow shoer until we were almost done. We are looking forward to going back in the summer as each of our visits so far have been in the winter. Our first visit was in Mar-Apr of 2011 and since then they have added a zipline .... anxious to try it out! (5 lines for $99). We crossed under one of the lines snowshoeing, and along the side of 2 more. I love the fact that despite seeing alot of people out cross country skiing there are so many trails/space that you really had the trails all to yourself. The yurts along the way makes for a nice stop for a snack.
The rooms are very nicely decorated and have to admit I LOVE the showers/tubs here!! I want a bathroom like this in my own house!

The library had a reserve sign on it Sat and had been used by a group earlier in the day but had been empty since after dinner. We asked the ladies at the front desk if they were done using the library and if they would mind if we used it to scrapbook a little. They double checked to see if the group was really done using it and then sent someone to clean the table off (had water pitcher & glasses) on the table. By the time we went upstairs to grab our things the table had been cleared for us! :-)

The young guys at the front doors were there to open the big double doors coming and leaving the lodge and were always nice!

When we checked in the room wasn't ready so they gave us keys to get into the locker room so we could use the hottub/gym. Speaking of gym ... I know folks don't go there to exercise inside, I mean who would when you can get outside and enjoy that beautiful view, but the gym is really nice. There is actually 2 rooms to it... one with weight equipment - free weights and a few nautilics? machines and the other room has exercise equipment like you would find at a nice gym!

There is an indoor/outdoor pool that despite the snow & cold people were swimming in. There is also a steamroom and a dry sauna! The outdoor hottub is pretty big.

There is a new bldg being built that will have bigger suites (if I remember right 1 & 2 bedroom suites). They do have cabins and a bunkhouse .... haven't seen the actual units but the pictures look nice.

The only suggestion I have would be to maybe have longer hrs for the coffee shop, especially in the winter. It closes at 3pm but people don't have to have their rental equipment back until 4. Once you get back and turn your equipment in, most people would like a cup of hot coffee or hot choc. to warm up a bit before heading back to their rooms.

In the evenings people gathered around the big fire pit (Sun night) to roast marshmellows/smores!

Breakfast at Hecks (I think that's the name of it - it's in the main lodge) both times we've been has been exellent! It's a little expensive but worth the money. The huge fireplace is amazing, great views and the decor there and upstairs is really rustic and no space was wasted!

Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Devil's Thumb Ranch was the perfect early-week getaway for us. It's just a two-hour drive from home for us, but it's a world away.

Our room in the Lodge had a nice fireplace, awesome bathroom (loved the riverstone shower floor) and appropriately "ranch-ish" decor. My only complaint is that the bed was pretty hard--but better than the opposite problem of being too soft.

My husband rented skate skis and practiced that style of skiing on the maze of beautiful trails just outside the lodge. I had a scenic snowshoe. Overnight we got a couple of inches of snow, so everything was just beautiful. And nothing beats sitting in the outdoor hot tub while snowflakes fall on your head.

Another real bonus is that Devil's Thumb is really committed to the environment. Geothermal heat, low-flow toilets and faucets, and energy-saving light fixtures mean this resort has a "green thumb."

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laurel K
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I rented a one bedroom cabin for one night and can't believe how relaxing it was. Charming place with adorable fireplace, rustin furnishings, great views. The hot tub at night is amazing. And, dinner at the Ranch House was one of the best of our lives.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabernash
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#2 of 14 in Winter Park
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#2 of 25 in Winter Park

Been to Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!