Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Trailhead Inn(Winter Park)
Crestview Place(Winter Park)
View Hotel
Valley Hi Motel(Winter Park)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe main lodgecross country skiingcoffee shopcontinental dividesleigh ridemovie theatersteam roomfire pitdevil's thumb ranch resorthorseback ridingair hockeyhot tubnordic skiingbeautiful propertyski trailszip liningnatural beauty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We went to DTR for our anniversary and it is a great place for couples. I found the customer service to be over the top during my experience. I called down 2 times for something for my room and they were at my door immediately.

Our dinner at the Ranch House was absolutely amazing, as was our massages at the spa. The spa has a separate hot tub which was nice because we basically had it to ourselves. The ranch is so secluded and quiet, its a really great way to get away from hustle and bustle. All we could talk about while we were there was coming back and this time for a family reunion, etc. Yes, this is not a cost-saving getaway, but I felt it was well worth our money and we had an absolutely wonderful, relaxing, great time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the ends of the building- they have even better views than the rest.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I had the best vacation of our lives at DTR. He works long hours and I'm a stay-at-home mom with 3 children. We desperately needed some rest, outdoor activities, spa time and romantic dinners. We felt absolutely rejuvenated after our stay, and even one of our closest friends said we looked so refreshed and 10 years younger! :) DTR offers a perfect balance of quiet rest, physical exertion (with hiking, zip-lining, horseback riding) and amazing meals at Heck's and the Ranch House. I highly highly recommend staying there if you are in need of beautiful mountains, reconnecting with your spouse and having some active, fun-filled days.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is a beautiful location although this summer there is some construction above the lodge with a large red construction crane. But not a big deal.

The issue here seems to be that the ranch seems to be run by kids between the ages of 18-25 with not so much hospitality experience. They are friendly but just inexperienced. So far, we haven't seen any managers around. The restaurant service is extremely slow and at 9-ish the tables and firepit area seem to go in-bussed with glasses, plates, etc everywhere. Coffee shop had one very nice but overwhelmed young man with no help in site. Where are the managers??

I had an inkling of this when I first called to book...no call back and confusion over rates.

Also, be aware that you will pay for every little thing that you do. Simple fishing rod for pond $20. Bike $30. Hayride $35 per person. Archery, goecaching etc. We were in no way expecting anything near all-inclusive but if you are expecting anything like Four Seasons or Ritz-type service DTR just hasn't got it. They could do it though if they tried harder and the management owes it to the beauty of the place to step it up. Otherwise, this will just become wedding central.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank JWPullen
via98, General Manager at Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for your candid comments. We value constructive criticism such as yours as much as we do compliments; every one of them only helps us to improve.

I sincerely apologize that you never saw a manager while you were staying with us. It is not only highly irregular; it is unacceptable and not representative of how I intend to run the operation. I have already assembled the management team and presented your review and although it is our policy, we are working on ways to ensure that there is always someone of a leadership stature present for our guests. I believe that the young employees you may have dealt with were part of our International Program. As you might be able to imagine due to our location, it is incredibly hard to find enough local help to staff our resort so we host hospitality students from other countries on a three-month basis as part of their coursework. That said, they should not have been left on their own to service guests without a regular employee or manager close by.

I agree with you that the beauty of the Ranch deserves only the highest levels of service. That was not only very well said - it is our daily mission. Again, communication with guests like you can only help us on our path to becoming a world-class destination.

I hope you’ll choose to visit us again. If you do, please reach out to me directly so that I might personally welcome you.

Regards,
Sean Damery
VP/GM – Devil’s Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Devils Thumb Ranch is set in the idyllic Ranch Creek Valley. It has grown into a truely remarkable resort. The accommodations are 5 star, the food is far and away the best the Rockies of Colorado has to offer. My most pleasant surprise was the Bar in the Ranch House. Best Bourbon selection west of the Mississippi River. The Coffee Shop not only offers terrific coffee and morning treats ,but has a wonderful western feel. The best question to ask is would you go back. Certainly we would! And are already looking forward to it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2012

My family and I recently spent four nights at Devil's Thumb and we loved everything about the resort. We went zip lining, horseback riding, rafting, hiking around the property and enjoyed the great outdoors. Everything about Devil's Thumb was just perfect for our family. All of the employees were so friendly and helpful. Thank you, Devil's Thumb Ranch, for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family