“An Oasis in the middle of nowhere”

Rodeway Inn Golden Prairie
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stratton
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I had a voucher for a free night's stay at a Best Western. We were traveling to Colorado and booked a night's stay here in Stratton not knowing what to expect since it was rated as only a 2 diamond motel. Boy were very pleasantly surprised. We got a King room and it was huge. It was very clean, had no bug problems whatsoever and the staff was very accommodating. Bed was comfortable and it had all the appointments of a 4 or 5 diamond motel. Not sure what my rate would have been had I not had my voucher, but I would not hesitate one moment to stay here again. I think its rating should be raised. Free hot breakfast (buffet) was excellent too just to cap it off. I would recommend to anyone who would want to stay at a diamond 'in the rough'. Excellent facility.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 23, 2010

Nicely & newly renovated rooms are very large. When we pulled up housekeeper was doing our room, and seems like she just bleached the life outta the bathroom. I couldn't stay in the room until it aired out more. We went to the restaurant in the meantime. Burger Delight across the street looks closed for good or we would have gone there per an earlier reviewer. If you have any special dietary needs, good luck. It does appear to be the local hangout though. It drives me crazy when restaurants use nice plastic sleeved menus and they never bother to clean them...yet I digress. Tv has poor reception for cable, pool is closed (appears permanently), and I think the still-overpowering bleach smell is better than other alternatives... We had no fridge or microwave in our room. Not looking forward to the free breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My family and I stayed here only because my husband was almost asleep at the wheel and we realized he wouldn’t stay awake all the way to Denver. It was a big mistake. Next trip we will stop either in Goodland or Burlington. We had an upstairs room and the concrete stairs we had to climb were cracked and deteriorating. When we arrived in the room I noticed the fabric chairs were very dusty. Not a big deal since we were only there to sleep but I have never seen chairs this dirty in any other motel. There was a roach in the bathroom and I didn’t sleep well due to the thought of roaches sharing the room with us. Finally, at check out the staff was rude and over charged us by twenty dollars more than we were quoted the night before at check in. I definitely recommend staying somewhere else. This motel was overpriced and the “breakfast buffet” was almost inedible with cold eggs and runny gravy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Okay. There are some positive and negative things about this hotel. They have been renovating it. The rooms are very large. It was mostly clean except for some black stains on the sheet. I am not sure if those were just stains or it was actually dirty. Towels had some of this black on them too. I think they just don't use much bleach. The location is in the middle of nowhere, but we were just stopping on our way to Estes Park. The staff member checking us in was not very friendly nor did she seem to really know very much. But the lady at check-out, Dawn was very friendly and knew much more about what to do.
We were awakened very early when the radio alarm clock went off. We did not even know we had one. Someone had hidden it on the floor behind the table. The table was heavy so they really had to work to hide it there. It was someone's idea of a joke. I did tell the staff about this and the stain on the bed. They said they were sorry, but did not do anything else about it.
The restaurant has a buffet for breakfast. But it does not have meat, It just had eggs and biscuits with gravy and then cold offerings. It was okay, but not much when you are expecting a hot breakfast. And the prices were too high at this little restaurant for dinner.
We went across the street to a little burger restaurant. They had great food and great prices. It is just a little diner, but I would highly recommend it. The owner was very nice. I think it is called Burger Delight.
I would stay here again if I need to do so. But the price is rather high. I would more likely stay in Burlington at the Comfort Inn. We have stayed there twice and it has always been nice.
Plus the grounds need work at this Best Western. The trash can was in the stairwell we took to our room. That was ugly. And the pool needs to be relined or worked on. There were numerous cracks and the hot tub had a cover over it and was not working. It looked dangerous.
So they are working on this place and it does have potential. The rooms really are quite large. They do not have little shampoos and soap in the shower. Instead they have dispensers in the shower. I did not really like that idea.
And if there is a tornado, which does happen in this part of Colorado quite often, there is not a siren that goes off as a warning. Instead they will send the local fire car through the area with it's siren on and an announcement warning you of the tornado. At this point you are to go about a block North to some community building or hall.
So it is okay, but does need more work.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2008

Older hotel but very recently remodeled. Very comfortable bed, great shower. Lots of fluffy pillows and towels. Includes coffeemaker, iron, microwave, fridge. Spotlessly clean! Tastefully decorated and furnished. Very roomy. The only drawback was that it was a little pricey. Beware, the FREE HOT breakfast! It is actually a poorly stocked buffet style with very poor service. (we had to replenish our own coffee and ask for more food to be put out on the buffet which took quite a while) I think they actually include the cost of breakfast in the cost of the room because the restaurant is attached to the hotel. I would definitely stay here again because of the reputation of Best Western and also the above mentioned features.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratton
Best Western Plus Carousel Inn & Suites
WoodSpring Suites Burlington
Chaparral Inn
Chaparral Inn
#3 of 8 in Burlington
Claremont Inn & Winery
Claremont Inn & Winery
#1 of 1 in Stratton

Been to Rodeway Inn Golden Prairie? Share your experiences!