“Awesome Hotel !!”

Best Western Sundowner
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Sterling
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Best hotel in the area by far. Staff very professional and the hotel is Great along with 2 swimming pools, one inside and one outside!! Great breakfast by far!!!! Can't say enough. Great location just off the interstate. Rooms outstanding thru out the hotel. Everyone made you feel at home. Computors and internet great.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Rocky,

Thank you for your awesome review! It is always a pleasure to have you and the rest of your group stay with us!! I'm sorry that the outdoor pool was under construction this year, but it is really coming along and I have no doubts that you will enjoy it next year. We'll see you next year and as always will be looking forward to visiting not only with you, but getting to see your beautiful antique cars...

Thanks,

There are newer reviews for Best Western Sundowner

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Even though this hotel allows pets, it really isn't the best place to stay. I would recommend skipping Sterling altogether if you have pets. The Ramada was disgusting, the staff at the Super 8 was incompetent, and the pet regulations at the Best Western are ridiculous. Don't let your pets make any noise or you will be charged a fee in addition to the pet fee you already paid. The pets aren't allowed on the furniture and the dog area outside is tiny and swampy. On a different note, the fitness room and the pools are also a joke.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank JessicaD2012
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry if our pet policy offended you. We try to make every guest's experience a good one whether they are four-footed or not. Therefore excessive noise complaints may result in extra fees - if the noise is coming from people or pets doesn't matter. We hope you will try us again.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The hotel is dog-friendly and got good reviews here, so my wife and I decided to stay the night while road-tripping through Colorado. We had a pleasant stay. The hotel is very clean, both common areas and the room. I was told by the front desk clerk, who was pleasant and helpful, at check-in that the whole place was remodeled after a huge flood a year or so ago.

There's a little "shop" in the lobby that sells microwave food and sundries, which was handy because there's no place to eat right nearby, or at least that was open late on the 4th of July. The included breakfast was the standard affair - eggs, sausages, waffles, cereals, bagels, and beverages.

It looks like some of the first-floor rooms have an entrance to the interior hallway as well as the outdoors. That would have been handy, especially with a dog, but because we got there late we wound up with a room on the second floor. There's no elevator so if you have a lot of luggage, get a room on the first floor. The configuration of our room was a little odd. Our window looked out on a small patio that was accessible by the adjoining room. Had the people in that room decided to use the patio, it would have seemed a little too cozy for my tastes. Fortunately that didn't happen, but it's worth mentioning.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you for your great comments. I agree that there shouldn't be bedspreads in rooms - we haven't used them for several years and even before we got rid of them we triple-sheeted. It just makes it feel cleaner! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you come back next time you are in this area.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was our first time staying at a Best Western. The hotel was clean and I am a huge clean freak. The sheets were clean and crisp and there was NO bedspread!! There should NEVER be a bedspread. That made me very happy. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Cassie,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! We have been triple-sheeting our beds for many years, long before it became a standard. I agree, bedspreads are pretty creepy in hotels and feel that the room not only looks, but is just plain cleaner. I hope you will consider us next time you are on your way through!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We couldn't believe our charges for this place..."it's higher when you check in later"..i guess prices change at 8 to 8:30pm?? We paid more here than we did at some lodges in the nice resort areas of the mountains....Even with a AAA discount, rooms were ok but not worth the $160+...no nearby restaurants...had a horrible experience at a bistro in town at lunch time....after waiting 45 minutes after we ordered..we never did get our food and left.....went to McDonalds where they tried to short change us.....Sterling is definitely not a place we will recommend or stop at again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank meganlee2014
Sundowner06108, General Manager at Best Western Sundowner, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in the restaurant that you went to. As for the rates, I understand that the rates in our area are somewhat higher due to the lack of available rooms to rent. Our rates are based on occupancy, so, as occupancy goes up so do the rates. This is why it was stated that the earlier the reservation is made, there is a chance for a better rate. I apologize for any misunderstanding there may have been.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was very happy with everything about this property. It is conveniently located near the freeway. Our room was very large with all the desired amenities. It had a wonderful, very private balcony. My parents room was set up for my handicap father and they liked the hotel as well. The beds were very comfortable, breakfast was good, and the staff was polite and helpful. I would highly recommend this property if you are in Sterling, CO!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you Tim for your glowing review; I'm glad your stay was pleasant. I'm also glad that we were able to accommodate your parents. We do our best to make sure that things that are important to you happen as they should. I will pass your comments along to my staff as well. I hope you have the chance to come back our way and that we are able to take care of you again!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

With AAA discount, our room after taxes was just slightly over $161. In my book, and out here in the West, that's pricey!! Especially since their outdoor pool was drained, their location too far from the only dining opportunities, the chairs in the breakfast room were rock hard and uncomfortable (the food, however, great!), and their toilets and sinks too low! Yes, you read that correctly! When I sat on the toilet the first time, it was so low, I thought I was falling into the bowl! I was all ready to curse hubby for leaving the seat up - when YIKES! I landed on the toilet seat! But at 5'nothing, that seat was a real drop! When I mentioned it to Hubby, he said the same thing happened to him! So - BEWARE - tall folks - Do some preparatory squats before going to this hotel!! The same goes for the bathroom sink and counter. I had to bend over to wash my hands!
The room was clean, the bed very comfortable - and I really liked our private ground-floor patio and door that opens out to it. The entire hotel is NON-smoking, which is something we look for.

Room Tip: Don't forget to practice those squats!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor Listing Owner,

Thank you for taking the time to write a management response on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, we cannot publish your response because it does not meet the following guideline(s):

*Non-commercial No promotional material of any kind, including URLs that are irrelevant to the review in question. We reserve the right to reject any URL.

Please consider resubmitting a response which meets our posting criteria using the management response form on our site. Please let us know if you have further concerns.

Best regards,
Location: Sterling
Title: Owner response
ID#: 213119835

Dear Jan,
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. I'm glad that you enjoyed our breakfast selections. We realize the rates in our area are somewhat higher than other areas due to our lack of available rooms. We appreciate that you chose to spend your money with us. Rates can be lower when booking in advance as our rates are based on occupancy and are the highest when we are full. Also, there are some online options, available on the Best Western website. These are prepaid and have more strict cancellation rules, but you can save some money that way. Again, we appreciate that you chose to stay with us and hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.
If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 970-522-6265.